BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Interior Parts

10-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #89
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

That's a great idea painting the +/-! I'm gonna have to do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #90
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 M3

Installation completed. These require a bit more effort to operate the paddles, but the feedback from the magnetic mechanism is superb. The click sound is slightly on a louder side inside the cabin. Overall, I am very happy with these new upgrade!

Name:  20221023_101529.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  388.8 KB

Name:  20221023_101455.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  591.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 06:18 PM   #91
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Looking good! What made u decide on the alu vs CF paddles? I'm gonna have to make that same decision soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 07:35 PM   #92
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Looking good! What made u decide on the alu vs CF paddles? I'm gonna have to make that same decision soon.
I've had CF paddles (autoteknic?) and the ones came with this setup seemed a bit on a thinner side with less weight. Maybe not by much but the alu ones felt more sturdy and weighted which compliment the magnetic mechanism. Also, I like how they contrast my cf steering wheel and red signs matching the red theme I have going. Additionally, the groove on back of the paddles felt better when I was pressing them.

One def nice thing about this unit is that I can swtich the paddles without having to remove the airbag and the main paddle mechanism. There isn't much room but the tool that came with allows me to get to the screws to loosen/tighten them to switch the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 06:01 AM   #93
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloumeM View Post
One def nice thing about this unit is that I can swtich the paddles without having to remove the airbag and the main paddle mechanism. There isn't much room but the tool that came with allows me to get to the screws to loosen/tighten them to switch the paddles.
Good to know! I may try one of each and see which one I like more.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 11:22 PM   #94
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 DCT, Impreza MT

Installed tonight and holy cow, i was not expecting the clip for the paddle electronics to be so hard to pull out. I searched a few places thinking there was a trick or incantation i needed to get the OEM plug out.

Nope, just needle nose pliers and strong patience. I did use my free hand to hold the button unit in place while rocking the connector back and forth because i was worried about it coming loose.

Can't wait to take the car out and run through the gears.
Appreciate 1
cloumeM165.50
      10-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #95
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschmitt View Post
Installed tonight and holy cow, i was not expecting the clip for the paddle electronics to be so hard to pull out. I searched a few places thinking there was a trick or incantation i needed to get the OEM plug out.

Nope, just needle nose pliers and strong patience. I did use my free hand to hold the button unit in place while rocking the connector back and forth because i was worried about it coming loose.

Hmm, that's interesting. I was able to pull the plugs out without much issue. Perhaps, the aftermarket steering wheel I have made the pulling out easier. BTW, I did some spirited driving yesterday (20 miles or so) and I love how the paddles feel and sound. They improve the shifting experience which made me feel like I was driving a real race car and made me want to drive harder. I think my M needs a real race driver...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:24 PM   #96
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Received mine yesterday.
Will install them tonight, and see how they feel.

Hoping for an OEM style option, as I love how the OEM ones feel/look.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 07:24 AM   #97
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Installed and drove for about 15 miles. The clicked are DEFINITELY loud. The cf is kinda thin, but doesn't feel cheap. Pulling the paddles are a little tougher... in a good way. Nice tactile feel!
Appreciate 1
cloumeM165.50
      10-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #98
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Minor mishap...left paddle is now the horn and the right paddle doesn't work. Checked the connections again last night and everything looked good (can't reverse the paddle or airbag plugs) so we'll see what tonight holds.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #99
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Received and installed.

Very straight forward install process, took under 30 minutes. The CF paddle is perfect imo, very solid, not flimsy at all. Love the tactile feedback of the paddles too.

Thanks for setting this up Redd !!
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      10-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #100
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Minor mishap...left paddle is now the horn and the right paddle doesn't work. Checked the connections again last night and everything looked good (can't reverse the paddle or airbag plugs) so we'll see what tonight holds.
What?!?! Hope you figure this out.
Appreciate 1
djschmitt236.00
      10-26-2022, 06:50 PM   #101
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
See if this helps:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177331

Sounds like pinched wiring might be the cause.

If it doesn't fix it do email JQWerks at support@jqwerks.com

Last edited by Redd; 10-26-2022 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
djschmitt236.00
      10-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #102
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Likely a pinched wire. When I was reinstalling the airbag I noticed the wire for the shifter is quite short and it naturally sits right in front of the airbag prongs.
Appreciate 1
djschmitt236.00
      10-26-2022, 09:45 PM   #103
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Checked the codes before starting up and everything was clean. Started the car and the windows and vert top functioned normally (last night, not so much). Left the driveway and everything is good. Something was odd inside the wheel which is now cleared.

I love the paddles! I'm also a sucker for mechanical keyboards 🤓
Appreciate 1
cloumeM165.50
      10-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #104
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Checked the codes before starting up and everything was clean. Started the car and the windows and vert top functioned normally (last night, not so much). Left the driveway and everything is good. Something was odd inside the wheel which is now cleared.

I love the paddles! I'm also a sucker for mechanical keyboards 🤓
Glad all is good! I love them too. Must upgrade for DCT M's!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:59 PM   #105
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

IMPORTANT PSA: There have been a couple of reports of pinched wires causing the paddles to not work, or stop working after some time. Please practice extra care when routing the wires for the paddles.

If you are facing any issues, please email to support@jqwerks.com.

Thanks and safe driving!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #106
pjacobs
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I purchased these exact paddle shifters directly from China from the same factory that manufactures the MadTrace paddle shifters. They even came in a MadTrace box. Lol. (I paid way less than what the retail price is at the moment.) I also purchased another set from a different factory in China and installed one side with the MadTrace paddle shifters and the other side with the ones from the other factory. See the attached video. The one on the left is the “other” factory and the one on the right is the same factory JQWerks gets it from. The pics are the shifter from the “Other” factory. I personally prefer these ones since they have many more options for Paddle sizes. The entire housing is made from Carbon. Looks and feels like a better product.

https://vimeo.com/767062437

Nonetheless, after reading through this thread, I believe vendors such as JQWerks should have an ethical responsibility for letting their customers know where the products were made, how they were made and what quality testing was done. Why do you think they were shipping delays and people getting tracking numbers are all messed up? I also purchased these from Mashimarho website and I still don’t have them. I ended up buying them directly from China a week after I made the purchase from Mashimarho and I got them within a week. China makes great products but we should all know that when they go into mass production, there are always going to be some issues.

Redd, thanks for putting this together. There is nothing you could’ve done to avoid this problem. But maybe next time, anyone that wants to do a group buy for a new product should have more information about it before introducing it to the community.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sparayno1182.50
      11-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #107
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Pjacobs, thanks for sharing that info. My apologies to all buyers, I have only relayed info as I received them from JQWerks.

I have asked JQWerks about this and this is their reply:

1. The China factory and JQWerks are the same company. The factory does the component manufacturing.

2. US market and group buy units have final assembly and quality control done in TX and then sent to JQWerks LA office for distribution.

3. Due to the final QC, JQWerks are able to offer a lifetime warranty on the shifter mechanism. The China factory-direct units do not have this warranty.

4. JQWerks provides technical support on their shifters. This has been proven by some buyers in this GB. The factory does not provide technical support.

Even the Malaysia and Singapore units were shipped out from LA (I have proof of shipment). It would have been a lot cheaper for them to just ship direct from China instead of sending the goods halfway around the world and back to me again. So in that sense I believe the units for this group buy are assembled in the US.

Not trying to defend JQWerks but the reality of global manufacturing is that most things are made in China these days, including name brand parts like Brembo, Recaro, etc. The difference here is whether you're getting a quality and supported part, or a cheaper price without warranty and support. As a consumer you are free to make that choice.

Also I believe your 2nd set is a generic magnetic paddle shifter for sim racing. These have been available for many years now but are not plug and play for BMW DCT. I know because I have been trying to find magnetic shifters for our cars for 2 years now and JQWerks ones are the first plug and play ones. I have to give credit to JQWerks for doing the R&D and bringing the parts to market.

Last edited by Redd; 11-03-2022 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
cloumeM165.50
kolosy1493.00
      11-03-2022, 11:50 PM   #108
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

JQWerks has informed me that moving forward, they will be including warranty cards with all of their magnetic paddle shifters. China factory-direct units will not have these warranty cards.

Good news is that all group buy participants will be getting these warranty cards mailed to them.
Appreciate 2
cloumeM165.50
pjacobs23.50
      11-04-2022, 09:07 PM   #109
Abdul
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

@Redd That's nice of JQW to do this. I sold and still sell the VLAND OLED lights for the F8x M3/M4. People could easily buy the same ones form Alibaba or AliExpress but having someone stateside that can provide cusotmer support and exchange products in the case of damage or a faulty part is definitely worth it. If I had a DCT, I would definitely buy them from someone local over a factory in China.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 09:28 PM   #110
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacobs View Post
I purchased these exact paddle shifters directly from China from the same factory that manufactures the MadTrace paddle shifters. They even came in a MadTrace box. Lol. (I paid way less than what the retail price is at the moment.) I also purchased another set from a different factory in China and installed one side with the MadTrace paddle shifters and the other side with the ones from the other factory. See the attached video. The one on the left is the “other” factory and the one on the right is the same factory JQWerks gets it from. The pics are the shifter from the “Other” factory. I personally prefer these ones since they have many more options for Paddle sizes. The entire housing is made from Carbon. Looks and feels like a better product.

https://vimeo.com/767062437

Nonetheless, after reading through this thread, I believe vendors such as JQWerks should have an ethical responsibility for letting their customers know where the products were made, how they were made and what quality testing was done. Why do you think they were shipping delays and people getting tracking numbers are all messed up? I also purchased these from Mashimarho website and I still don’t have them. I ended up buying them directly from China a week after I made the purchase from Mashimarho and I got them within a week. China makes great products but we should all know that when they go into mass production, there are always going to be some issues.

Redd, thanks for putting this together. There is nothing you could’ve [...]
Do they have more aluminum samples? I'd love to purchase some options similar to oem
Appreciate 0