BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

DCT vs MT - maintenance wise

I'm planning on getting an e90 sometime next year.
I prefer at manual, but I prefer one with less maintenance even more. Any differences between gas? Does the DCT need anything other than to be flushed?
I would like to avoid the pricey clutch jobs if possible
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

imho, either choice will require expenses greater than your typical car. If you don't have expendable income i dont recommend this car. this platform is nearing a decade old and there will be alot of expensive maintenance for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

The M-DCT is known to be bulletproof. The pan routinely sweats
Fluid and needs replaced and sometimes the mechatronics sleeve leaks. Those can both be remedied during regular service intervals. Nothing to worry about, though.

The manual is great too.

The DCT objectively performs better.

The “better” transmission comes down to personal preference.
      10-28-2017, 11:42 PM   #4
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
imho, either choice will require expenses greater than your typical car. If you don't have expendable income i dont recommend this car. this platform is nearing a decade old and there will be alot of expensive maintenance for you.
I'm a little worried, but not too worried. I just want to get my hands on one as a 2nd car before prices go up. All my income is expendable since I live at home
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
The M-DCT is known to be bulletproof. The pan routinely sweats
Fluid and needs replaced and sometimes the mechatronics sleeve leaks. Those can both be remedied during regular service intervals. Nothing to worry about, though.

The manual is great too.

The DCT objectively performs better.

The “better” transmission comes down to personal preference.
Your profile pic is my definition of a perfect m3.. I love a manual but am now starting to lean towards DCT since I'm in la
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #6
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

if this is a 2nd car then its a no brainer. it has to be stick!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
Prefontaine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo Cat View Post
I'm a little worried, but not too worried. I just want to get my hands on one as a 2nd car before prices go up. All my income is expendable since I live at home
As in...with mom and dad? 😐
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2017, 01:18 AM   #8
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefontaine View Post
As in...with mom and dad? 😐
Yep.. For now, I finish pharmacy tech school in 7 weeks, I'll probably still live at home for a while as a pharm tech until I'm fit enough to get the job I want in the military
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey View Post
if this is a 2nd car then its a no brainer. it has to be stick!
It's a 2nd car.. But the one I have now isn't exactly good for driving to work everyday, that one uses more gas and costs more if not the same maintenance wise
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #10
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
For years prepping for m3 ive wasnted to buy manual thought of dct didnt even cross my mind. Ill be shopping right after winter or so for one and gotta tell ya. Something happen in my head that im now wanting dct badly. Crazy how my mind changed. Im prepped to set around 10k aside for any maintenance in general, so im not worried but from what ive read so far im confident in either trans
      10-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #11
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Home sweet home, all paid for even better. Can't go wrong OP!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnAge View Post
For years prepping for m3 ive wasnted to buy manual thought of dct didnt even cross my mind. Ill be shopping right after winter or so for one and gotta tell ya. Something happen in my head that im now wanting dct badly. Crazy how my mind changed. Im prepped to set around 10k aside for any maintenance in general, so im not worried but from what ive read so far im confident in either trans
I went through the same thing. was dead set on the manual, but now that it's getting close I'm starting to lean towards the DCT. My brain says DCT, but my heart says manual
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #13
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
I went through the same thing. was dead set on the manual, but now that it's getting close I'm starting to lean towards the DCT. My brain says DCT, but my heart says manual
Have you driven the M DCT? We’ve all driven a manual. The M DCT is an amazing transmission. It could not be further from a standard automatic so the standard auto vs manual arguments don’t really apply.
M3CRZY20.00
      10-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnAge View Post
I agree. Driven both - DCT is better, imo. I have the Euro DCT software that really brings it alive.
Maintenance will be the throttle actuators (which I had done under CPO) and eventually scheduled rod bearings, which on the 2011 should be around 120km.
DCT clutch is much more robust than the manual,

I now you're looking for a low mileage car, but if you want a well maintained second owner, the price drop may inspire you in the Spring...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I'd say the difference between the two is negligible; focus on what you personally want.
For me it was 6MT or bust as it's a second car and my first car already has a dual clutch.

Side note (and I know it wasn't a question that was asked), but with you finishing up with school and other priorities, I'll be honest and say that this probably isn't a great car for you unless you've got stacks of cash. Simple things like oil changes and brakes are a substantial amount of coin for these cars relative to other things on the market. Not playing dad here, but I've been in your shoes and learned from experience that I bit off a bit more than I could chew with previous rides.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Have you driven the M DCT? We’ve all driven a manual. The M DCT is an amazing transmission. It could not be further from a standard automatic so the standard auto vs manual arguments don’t really apply.
Nope, I've been on rides in older SMG cars. Wasn't a fan. But it seems most people hate those and love DCTs
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 01:59 PM   #17
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I'd say the difference between the two is negligible; focus on what you personally want.
For me it was 6MT or bust as it's a second car and my first car already has a dual clutch.

Side note (and I know it wasn't a question that was asked), but with you finishing up with school and other priorities, I'll be honest and say that this probably isn't a great car for you unless you've got stacks of cash. Simple things like oil changes and brakes are a substantial amount of coin for these cars relative to other things on the market. Not playing dad here, but I've been in your shoes and learned from experience that I bit off a bit more than I could chew with previous rides.
I don't have stacks of cash, but I'm good at saving. I will be doing things like oil and brakes to save $, and I will have some money saved up for throttle actuators and rod bearings if needed
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #18
Prefontaine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've owned both. A 6MT that I eventually upgraded with a SSK and the ultimate clutch pedal, and a DCT.

I love manuals, but I just don't think the manual in this car is an ideal match for this engine. Of course it works just fine, but in my opinion, the gearing after 2nd is too tall to make it fun at legal speeds.

On the other hand, the DCT is fantastic. It's my first non-manual car in 15 years and I love it. Yes you can still be going silly speeds in 3rd gear, but the fact that the DCT makes 6-8k RPM so readily accessible makes the car feel quicker. And when you're tired bc you're going to work at 5 AM, it's nice to be able to just leave it in D2 or 3 for a while while you wake up at a more relaxing pace.

I'll own another manual some day, but I think I'm going to be sticking with the DCT for any high power / low torque engines from now on.
Appreciate 3
UPSROD1015.00
Oreo Cat176.00
SDPLV494.00
      10-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #19
Prefontaine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry, after typing all that, I realize your original question was about maintenance. I think you'll find that, despite the DCTs increased complexity, they're pretty similar in terms of reliability.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #20
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
I don't have stacks of cash, but I'm good at saving. I will be doing things like oil and brakes to save $, and I will have some money saved up for throttle actuators and rod bearings if needed
Keep at it is all I can say! Next on my list is rod bearings after my Blackstone gets back from my latest oil change.

You won't regret the car from a fun perspective. I've owned just about the same number of vehicles as I have years on this rock, and this is one hell of a machine. I mean one HELL of a machine. I think it has officially obtained favorite status, and this is with some pretty substantial rides in my possession. In terms of feedback and it being a driver's car I think the closest I've got is my Spec E30, but it's a stripped out toy so I don't think that necessarily fits in the same category.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #21
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post

I would second that. The fact that you can pick up a clean e9X M3 for around $30,000 doesn't negate the fact that it was a $70,000 car when new, and the cost of service and parts reflect that. You can do a lot of the work yourself, but you will find that the parts alone for even an oil change will exceed $100, a set of tires will be between $250 and $350 PER TIRE, and plug and coil combos are similarly expensive (and there are 8 of them). Now there will be people on this board who will tell you that you can buy tires at a cheaper rate (you possibly can), but they will not be of the same quality. If you cannot afford to properly maintain the car it will slowly fall apart on you.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #22
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
I would second that. The fact that you can pick up a clean e9X M3 for around $30,000 doesn't negate the fact that it was a $70,000 car when new, and the cost of service and parts reflect that. You can do a lot of the work yourself, but you will find that the parts alone for even an oil change will exceed $100, a set of tires will be between $250 and $350 PER TIRE, and plug and coil combos are similarly expensive (and there are 8 of them). Now there will be people on this board who will tell you that you can buy tires at a cheaper rate (you possibly can), but they will not be of the same quality. If you cannot afford to properly maintain the car it will slowly fall apart on you.
I honestly thought tires would be worse, tires im getting for my truck are $450-550 each.
Sadly I'm no stranger to expensive parts and more mods
Appreciate 0