BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Expressivedrives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 ZCP

Ferodo DS2500, DS3000 or DSUNO?

Quite hard track days and some street. What do you recommend? M3 E92, M4 F9x brake upgrade.

Ferodo DS2500, DS3000 or DSUNO? Pls Ferodo only.

07-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

interested too, not for track use though
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

DS2500 will not hold up to track use. They melt and coat the rotors with pad deposits. Otherwise good street pad.
      07-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #4
MP0W3RD
BMWCCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3 Sedan

Garage List
1997 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I use Ferodo DS2500s on track and street.

However, they will last me a maximum of 3 track days (5-6 20 minute sessions) at Grattan Raceway for example.

The DS 1.11 pad will last SIGNIFICANTLY longer at the cost of quite a bit of noise being generated by the brakes.

I hope this is helpful.
      07-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I've got a set of 2500's front and rear and one track weekend on them and maybe 200 street/highway miles getting to/from track. I pulled them to swap rear rotors this week and can attest, they are noticeably worn. If I stuck with this combo I might get 2 more weekends out of them. That's not to say they don't work well. After a quick bedding session (essex style) they were nearly silent on the street, maybe a light squeal every couple of days but nothing that would draw attention (I rarely have any sounds coming through my speakers so Im able to hear all the little noises this car tends to make).

Do they work on track? Sure I was at Sebring where the straights can get pretty quick and with fresh Endless fluid and brass caliper pin bushings I never felt fade. The pedal response at the end of a 30 min session was the same as the first few min.

HOWEVER, I don't want to eat through pads this often and I do think there is more bite to be had so I'm moving to a front biased set up of DS.UNO in the front and 2500's in the back. This is a total compromise move and I get that.

PROS:

1) Since it is common for many people to run front only BBK's on this platform with no complaints I can assume moving to higher friction front pad is of no detriment to me on stock clampers.

2) I only have to swap one axle worth of pads on track day. Drive to/from track with same set of rear 2500's. Swap the front 2500's the night I arrive at the track.

3) I only have to buy one axle worth of expensive pads. 2500's are half the cost of 1.11 and UNO.

CONS:

1) I have to change pads at the track (front only though)

2) I am spending twice as much money on the front axle for pads, in exchange for more stopping power. This isn't a con, it's just the cost of doing business.

Obviously you know that sticking with Ferodo pads for both track and street means easier swapping due to similar compounds.
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ds2500 for the street, dsUNO for the track. Swap them.
      07-31-2020, 01:36 AM   #7
Expressivedrives
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Hi, thanks for your input.

Are DSUNO's impossible noisy on the street or missing braking power when cold?
      07-31-2020, 04:13 AM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expressivedrives View Post
Quote:
Hi, thanks for your input.

Are DSUNO's impossible noisy on the street or missing braking power when cold?
Both, but mostly noise. i was told by an expert, and i found this to be true with personal experience- swapping between ferodo pads doesn't require any bedding after switching with other ferodo brand pads. its a couple bolts, just swap and you'll be happier.
      07-31-2020, 06:08 AM   #9
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Both, but mostly noise. i was told by an expert, and i found this to be true with personal experience- swapping between ferodo pads doesn't require any bedding after switching with other ferodo brand pads. its a couple bolts, just swap and you'll be happier.
This tends to be pretty true when you stay within the same brand of pads from what I've also heard.
      07-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Question for the original poster, you have what looks like F80 calipers on your M3? How does that fit? Does someone make a kit for that?
      08-01-2020, 05:11 AM   #11
Expressivedrives
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Question for the original poster, you have what looks like F80 calipers on your M3? How does that fit? Does someone make a kit for that?
True, I have F8x caliper and disc set on my E92. They are not exactly direct fit and there is no adapter for front calipers. That's why I had also to replace originals to F8x front knuckles. You have to tweak also front ABS sensor position 90 degrees.

Details: https://www.expressivedrives.com/blog/f8x-brakes-to-f9x

It's a very economic way to go to bigger and more advanced brakes on E92, as M4 sets are sold (used) on eBay.

I'm very pleased with these bigger Brembos. Earlier I toasted set of front pads (DS2500) in one long track day, now I dont have this risk.
      08-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #12
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

I just posted something about this topic over in the M2 forum...everything below applies with the e90 chassis. I wrote:

For the M2, the DS2500 would be marginal on the front of the car in some circumstances. As noted, every driver, track, and car is different. As such, what works for one person's situation isn't necessarily going to be ideal for another's. On one hand you may have a stock M2 on street tires, on Roebling Road, being driven by someone who is easy on the brakes. On the other hand you have a driver who is tough on brakes, driving Road America on Hoosier slicks, and he has added 50 HP. The difference between the brake demands in these two scenarios is tremendous.

As an overarching baseline recommendation, I'd consider the DS2500 a good street, AutoX, and very light track duty pad for the front of an M2 and M2 Competition. It should work well on the front and rear if you're on street tires, the car isn't juiced up with extra HP, the track is fairly easy on brakes, and the driver is average on brakes.

As a rear pad, the DS2500 is going to be fine with no issues under just about any conditions. You'll never get them hot enough on the rear of an M2 to cause any problems, regardless of what track you're on, tire choice, etc. Some of our brake kit customers leave the DS2500 in the rear calipers all the time, so they don't have to swap them out when going from track to street and back. The only issue with this strategy is that the DS2500 is lower mu than the DS1.11 or DS3.12. Running the lower mu DS2500 in the rear effectively increases the amount of work your front brakes need to do. That creates more heat in front brakes. That may not be a problem, or it may be...depends on the situation. One would really have to experiment to be sure.

The DS2500 does have a very high max operating temperature though. It's extremely rare that anyone will fade it. What happens more often, as others in this thread have noted, is that it starts to burn up very rapidly when it gets ridiculously hot. Fortunately, that is a nice/gentle failure mode, and doesn't end badly (vs. the pad giving up all mu and you not having a brake pedal when you step on it...which is not a gentle failure mode!).

If you are running race tires, have extra HP, are particularly hard on brakes, or you're driving a tough braking track, I'd suggest the Ferodo DS1.11 or DS3.12. They can both handle any amount of heat thrown at them, will never fade, etc.

The beauty of the Ferodo DS compounds is that you can swap them around on the same discs without having to re-bed them. For example, you run the DS2500 on street/autoX, then the DS1.11 at the track. If you were using pads from multiple manufacturers, the smart play would be to scrape the discs clean to get all the pad material off their face prior to bedding in the other pad compound. Otherwise you'd risk cross-contamination of the pads on the disc face, which leads to judder and vibration. With the Ferodo line, you don't have to worry about that. You just lay them down on top of each other and they play nice.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 04:35 PM   #13
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2012 E70 X5D

Thought it was pretty funny, as I was reading this I got a knock on the door from UPS! Look what I got
Attached Images

08-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #14
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey_domm View Post
Thought it was pretty funny, as I was reading this I got a knock on the door from UPS! Look what I got
Nice! Good timing.
Thanks for the purchase and enjoy them!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
Expressivedrives
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey_domm View Post
DS2500?
      08-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #16
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expressivedrives View Post
DS2500?
Yes DS2500's front and rear.
      08-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #17
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
I've got a set of 2500's front and rear and one track weekend on them and maybe 200 street/highway miles getting to/from track. I pulled them to swap rear rotors this week and can attest, they are noticeably worn. If I stuck with this combo I might get 2 more weekends out of them. That's not to say they don't work well. After a quick bedding session (essex style) they were nearly silent on the street, maybe a light squeal every couple of days but nothing that would draw attention (I rarely have any sounds coming through my speakers so Im able to hear all the little noises this car tends to make).

Do they work on track? Sure I was at Sebring where the straights can get pretty quick and with fresh Endless fluid and brass caliper pin bushings I never felt fade. The pedal response at the end of a 30 min session was the same as the first few min.

HOWEVER, I don't want to eat through pads this often and I do think there is more bite to be had so I'm moving to a front biased set up of DS.UNO in the front and 2500's in the back. This is a total compromise move and I get that.

PROS:

1) Since it is common for many people to run front only BBK's on this platform with no complaints I can assume moving to higher friction front pad is of no detriment to me on stock clampers.

2) I only have to swap one axle worth of pads on track day. Drive to/from track with same set of rear 2500's. Swap the front 2500's the night I arrive at the track.

3) I only have to buy one axle worth of expensive pads. 2500's are half the cost of 1.11 and UNO.

CONS:

1) I have to change pads at the track (front only though)

2) I am spending twice as much money on the front axle for pads, in exchange for more stopping power. This isn't a con, it's just the cost of doing business.

Obviously you know that sticking with Ferodo pads for both track and street means easier swapping due to similar compounds.

Do you remember feeling a large difference between your stock pads and the DS2500s? Im way past the limit of my tires and brakes in just the canyon runs so Im going to a more aggressive tire with the 2500s. Also doing the same as you with DS.UNOs front & 2500s in the rear for track days.
      08-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I never ran the stock pads on the track and don't have canyons to run (S. FL) but I can say the 2500's definitly have higher initial bite than OEM pads when running around town. It's not neck snapping, but you can tell. My street driving style is pretty tame since I have track days to let it all out, so I won't be able to comment on modulation as it pertains to street driving.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #19
Code Monkey
Rep
Drives: M3, M5

At the very least DS1.11 for the track. DSUNO and DS2.13 are also great. Also loved PFC 11 on this car.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
StogyBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I ran Hawk HPS, DS2500, then finally DS1.11 on the stock brakes. Hawk HPS was pretty terrifying. They shouldn't be used on track (nor street for that matter). DS2500 was pretty good on track. Doesn't have race-pad bite, but good modulation and only started fading towards then end of the session (at laguna seca driving 8/10). The problem with these pads is that they leave really bad deposits. I have some hard caked on deposits on rotors that will not come off. Probably need a resurface.

DS1.11 was fantastic, but too loud for the street. My setup is to swap between DS2500 for street and DS1.11 for track. DS2500 on rear for both.
Appreciate 3
      09-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
lowkey_domm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StogyBear View Post
I ran Hawk HPS, DS2500, then finally DS1.11 on the stock brakes. Hawk HPS was pretty terrifying. They shouldn't be used on track (nor street for that matter). DS2500 was pretty good on track. Doesn't have race-pad bite, but good modulation and only started fading towards then end of the session (at laguna seca driving 8/10). The problem with these pads is that they leave really bad deposits. I have some hard caked on deposits on rotors that will not come off. Probably need a resurface.

DS1.11 was fantastic, but too loud for the street. My setup is to swap between DS2500 for street and DS1.11 for track. DS2500 on rear for both.
Thank you for your feedback here, I also am running DS2500s front and rear for street / canyon driving now. I have a track day coming up so I'll be ordering the DS1.11s (meanwhile leaving DS2500s in the rear for track and street) because I have heard the same regarding composite left from the DS2500s... Overall I've been impressed with the pad so far better bite and much better modulation / consistency while braking hard in canyons it feels much more reliable imo.

After this year ill be looking to most likely upgrade too a 380mm 6 piston front and 4 piston rear with MRF fluid and same pads. Excited to feel the difference between BBK vs stock. That single large piston is still odd to me every time I see it.