BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #23
art unique
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by art unique View Post
It doesnt work like that. Thats the job of the cats...to eliminate the smell and gasses emitted. If you remove them...you get smell and increased emissions.
No, thats not the job of the cats. They're strictly there to combat hydrocarbons, CO, and NOx, not play de-odorizer.

Our cars use three-way cats to get the NOx out, as do most cars made over the past thirty years. You have to have richer mixture than usual to make a three-way cat to its job to eliminate NOx. Take out the three way cat, you have a richer than normal mixture that smells like Amoco's colon. Adjusting the fuel mixture to lean it out at idle or off-idle will (or should) clean that up.
If you're removing a cat you should know the consequences. Leaning out your mixture JUST to eliminate smell is retarded.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #24
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
Just curious how common this is to be fully catless. I searched the forums and found some information but not a lot of recent stuff. I'm considering a catless dual resonated x pipe and wondering how brutal the smell will truly be.
Mines pretty bad. Only noticeable in stopped traffic or drive thru windows LOL
      10-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #25
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I run full catless and I swear my exhaust fumes smell like 16-yrs old Lagavulin scotch whisky. 😂
Appreciate 1
Freiheit492.00
      10-21-2019, 08:51 PM   #26
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

Quote:
If you're removing a cat you should know the consequences. Leaning out your mixture JUST to eliminate smell is retarded.
Leaving it rich just because you don't understand VE tables or how cats work is a bit worse, pal. I had training in fuel injection about a decade ago. I don't know the latest EFI packages, but the principles haven't changed for 30 years. I'm trying to explain it to you but maybe I should do a better job.

When cars have 3-way cats, the cat requires a richer mix in order to mitigate NOx. Take out the cat and that fuel goes out the tailpipe, wasted. You can't hurt anything by eliminating that wasted fuel, especially at low/no load cells on the fuel table. Also, EFI systems on catted cars add fuel to cool the cat. Take out the cat, and guess what? More wasted fuel. If there's no EGT probe in the exhaust stream then the EFI is guessing at cat temp and automatically adding fuel. Does the S65 have an EGT probe? Guess what happens if you pull out the cats and don't lean out the idle table?

Now seriously, do you think you can't tune out the excess fuel in the idle cells on the S65 and stop the raw fuel smell, or at least a major dose of it? Do you think it isn't safe to do so? Many modern engines can run at stoichiometric or even leaner at idle and low load with no bad results. There's absolutely no reason to leave your car rich after a cat delete and say "that's the way it is, face the consequences".
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #27
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I run full catless and I swear my exhaust fumes smell like 16-yrs old Lagavulin scotch whisky. 😂
You know, desire smells like that to some people.

Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 1
WWM3968.00
      10-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #28
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
I am catless and I don't mind the smell. I actually kind of like it. A little eye burning helps you wake up in the morning!
This lol. Even the girlfriend likes the smell

When I swap stock cats on for smog the car feels unbearably slow and dull.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #29
art unique
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Quote:
Leaving it rich just because you don't understand VE tables or how cats work is a bit worse, pal. I had training in fuel injection about a decade ago. I don't know the latest EFI packages, but the principles haven't changed for 30 years. I'm trying to explain it to you but maybe I should do a better job.

When cars have 3-way cats, the cat requires a richer mix in order to mitigate NOx. Take out the cat and that fuel goes out the tailpipe, wasted. You can't hurt anything by eliminating that wasted fuel, especially at low/no load cells on the fuel table. Also, EFI systems on catted cars add fuel to cool the cat. Take out the cat, and guess what? More wasted fuel. If there's no EGT probe in the exhaust stream then the EFI is guessing at cat temp and automatically adding fuel. Does the S65 have an EGT probe? Guess what happens if you pull out the cats and don't lean out the idle table?

Now seriously, do you think you can't tune out the excess fuel in the idle cells on the S65 and stop the raw fuel smell, or at least a major dose of it? Do you think it isn't safe to do so? Many modern engines can run at stoichiometric or even leaner at idle and low load with no bad results. There's absolutely no reason to leave your car rich after a cat delete and say "that's the way it is, face the consequences".
I completely understand but that wasnt my point buddy. Tuning after a cat delete is a must, but if you're tuning for the smell. That makes absolutely no sense. Nobody is arguing about the benefits of a tune to a catless system. We're talking about the pussies crying about exhaust fumes at a red light.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #30
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

the question is....who ISN'T?
      10-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #31
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I completely understand but that wasnt my point buddy. Tuning after a cat delete is a must, but if you're tuning for the smell. That makes absolutely no sense. Nobody is arguing about the benefits of a tune to a catless system. We're talking about the pussies crying about exhaust fumes at a red light.
I hear you, but who hear is talking about getting a car tuned JUST for the smell? You'll already be in there tuning to max the car out after getting the cats pulled in the first place, so why wouldn't you tune to pull the extra fuel out? Its not like you'd be making a special trip to do it, "Oh damn the car smells I guess I'll have to do something about it" when its more "Hey while you're tuning out the cats, please adjust the idle and off-idle mix to lean as much of that out as possible". I think the main reason no one has it done is that no one wants to dyno-tune their car, and the canned tuners don't want the liability of leaning out the idle on a car that isn't in front of them.

I'm just trying to get the point across to you, that it doesn't have to be like that. The smell can be gone.
I mean, unless its some kind of test of manliness in your culture to have unburnt fuel odor. The Ramapan tribes used to cut off their own pinky fingers after being hung, for a day or two, suspended from hooks embedded under their chest muscles. I guess when you compare catless exhaust smell to something like that, the smell is a comparative bargain.

Last edited by Freiheit; 10-27-2019 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #32
JasonC.E46
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3

Catless & Great Sound

I've been running catless X-pipes for 4 years (with the Epic tune). While I mostly drive with the windows up, when driving with them down I really don't notice much than a passing whiff.

If you're working in your garage (door open, of course) and have it idling, then you can smell the difference.

What I'm really surprised by is that no one has mentioned the sound difference, which is beautiful. At idle and low RPM (< 4k RPM) it is tame/normal. BUT, when you get on it and get in the upper RPM band, it makes a wonderful roar; far better than stock. As such, in town you can moderate your sound by your driving/shifting style (6MT FOREVER!!!) and then let her roar when you want to.

+1 to previous poster regarding making sure you can pass any emissions in your area, if applicable.
Appreciate 0