BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #67
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
Yes. Cars ordered for production (not delivery) in week 10 or later can have M-DCT.
Wonder if that will be true for US cars. Damm--I'm Week 8 or 9 right now. Not that I necessarily want it, but sure nice to have the choice.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #68
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Here's a post that doesn't make a lick of sense.
Come on E, lighten up. We all know how pervasive impressing women is in most cultures and many intend to do this by their car and or driving. T-bone simply made a darn good, lighthearted funny. Of course every sarcasm has a bit of truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Still though, I think its a misstep on BMW's part to not integrate DCT throughout the lineup as VW has, or at least has begun to. Reportedly BMW has no plans for DCT in non-M cars in the future and I think thats a shame.
BMW absolutely has broad reaching plans for DCT that is also why it is now called M-DCT, non M cars will get DCT without the "M-". The major difference will simply be software. Transmission suppliers are so hot on DCT and they plan on selling BILLIONS of dollars of these things in the next years, read the news and press releases. They will replace most ATs and many MTs in many OEMs lineups.

Note: Just to be 100% clear, this is informed speculation, not fact.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #69
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Wonder if that will be true for US cars. Damm--I'm Week 8 or 9 right now. Not that I necessarily want it, but sure nice to have the choice.
You want it.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #70
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Come on E, lighten up. We all know how pervasive impressing women is in most cultures and many intend to do this by their car and or driving. T-bone simply made a darn good, lighthearted funny. Of course every sarcasm has a bit of truth.
Impressing women by driving a manual car?

What kind of tactic is that?
      01-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #71
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Quote:

The women I dated as a younger man, and now my wife, have all found MT's to be more annoying than anything else.

Kinda funny, huh?

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #72
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post
The women I dated as a younger man, and now my wife, have all found MT's to be more annoying than anything else.

Kinda funny, huh?
Guess I have a keeper. My wife will have a MT over AT anyday. Hell, she hated driving my E46 M3 w/SMG ... hmmmm, maybe I should wait for M-DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #73
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
BMW absolutely has broad reaching plans for DCT that is also why it is now called M-DCT, non M cars will get DCT without the "M-". The major difference will simply be software. Transmission suppliers are so hot on DCT and they plan on selling BILLIONS of dollars of these things in the next years, read the news and press releases. They will replace most ATs and many MTs in many OEMs lineups.

Note: Just to be 100% clear, this is informed speculation, not fact.
I hope you are correct, swamp. I read just the opposite in an article recently (I'll try to find the link). Though its possible that it too was just speculation.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #74
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Are you serious in not acknowledging many men attempts to impress women with their cars and driving in general and that then MT skills are a real part of the overall "skill set". It is probably often not explained explicitly either.

I am not saying you or I would do this, just that it happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #75
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Are you serious in not acknowledging many men attempts to impress women with their cars and driving in general and that then MT skills are a real part of the overall "skill set". It is probably often not explained explicitly either.

I have tried to impress women with 6-piston calipers but it seems that is not working...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #76
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

The only time women in general will be truly excited about cars will be when a car comes out whose emissions are chocolate covered diamonds.

Sabine is the only exception
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #77
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSgt B View Post
Guess I have a keeper. My wife will have a MT over AT anyday. Hell, she hated driving my E46 M3 w/SMG ... hmmmm, maybe I should wait for M-DCT
It's all about the training, mate, eh My wife got her licence in Germany - 'nuff said - and likes to drive as fast as me (manual or not)

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #78
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
T Bone, I trust your 335xi is an auto? The Steptronic in the 335i is at least as fast as a human also. Not trying to start an argument, just curious really.
Nope I have a 6MT, only because I still don't like the flaws of the AT. The only AT that appears to be kinda cool is the one in the IS-F.

Quote:
Here's a post that doesn't make a lick of sense.
Epacy, I know you don't have a discernible sense of humor so I won't bother asking if you understood the concept of young men being braggarts about driving "STICK". Or people feeling more "connected" with the car. Somehow in the American mentality, there is a linkage between shifting gears and being a better / maniler driver.

In all cases, stick is inferior to a SMG or DCT.....but hey I am so cool, I can outshift my computer.....

This is the reason why we have dumbass 6MT M5 / M6s.

The only reasonable excuse of getting a 6MT is to prevent your GF / Wife from driving your car in hopes of preserving your rims from being curbed....I would applaude that...

Quote:

Sometimes Epacy makes cogent posts more than one sentence long. Other times, I just wonder if he has the same sense of humor as Darth Maul (his prior avatar).
      01-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #79
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The only reasonable excuse of getting a 6MT is to prevent your GF / Wife from driving your car in hopes of preserving your rims from being curbed....I would applaude that...
, LMFAO. The humor and list of reasons to get MT just keeps getting better and longer. Hats off T. Might I suggest the compiling all of your reasons to get MT into a list and making it a humorous post?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #80
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Obviously, I am not challenging the position of men trying to impress via their cars.
What I find absurd is the idea of trying to impress on the sole basis of a manual car. Perhaps I just have heard that one or been around the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone
...In all cases, stick is inferior to a SMG or DCT...
Trying to pass as fact? Get over yourself.
I can start making many unsubstantiated sweeping generalizations as well.

I find it highly amusing how DCT/SMG owners continue to try and ridicule others into driving what they perceive as better. How about exhibiting some tolerance?
      01-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #81
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Trying to pass as fact? Get over yourself.
I can start making many unsubstantiated sweeping generalizations as well.

I find it highly amusing how DCT/SMG owners continue to try and ridicule others into driving what they perceive as better. How about exhibiting some tolerance?
Fact: You lose 1.5 - 2 seconds worth of acceleration over 4 gears with a MT vs. SMG / DCT.

Please debate.
      01-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #82
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Fact: You lose 1.5 - 2 seconds worth of acceleration over 4 gears with a MT vs. SMG / DCT.

Please debate.
I'll take that one. I think the claims will apply to DCT but they do not to SMG.

Your statement is flat out not true with SMG II as implemented in the E46 M3. If the 1.5-2 seconds is true in the M5 I bet that the MT pulled from the base 5 series (550 was it?) was not well optimized for the M5 engine. BMW at best used some very creative marketing in specing SMG shift times (left out both clutching operations I suspect). Acceleration graphs show that SMG shift times are "only" on par with the faster human shifters (about .2-.25 sec). Detailed testing has shown MT E46 M3 to be faster than the SMG variant due to this and slightly poorer launch software as well.

All that being said I still greatly preferred SMG in the E46 for the reasons of consistency, safety, rev matching, hands on the wheel when it matters and its enabling one to focus on more essential parts of driving.

I strongly suspect M-DCT (although mechanically very different than SMG) to be like a perfected SMG in that it will finally have all of the benefits mentioned above plus improved fuel efficiency and finally the true acceleration advantages.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 04:55 AM   #83
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

BUT: "who is right about the delivery date?"

We have two recent M-DCT threads:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105371

both have strongly different delivery dates...lets look who could first confirm this by an official bmw document...

on one side my personal informations (from inside M GmbH!?) are:
"M-DCT comes together with the next M-model / debut March!!! - delivery May/June??? ! - eventually M-DCT comes first only with the new model and a little time later for E90/92"

on the other side my personal dealer ask me on thursday when I would come to make my order (M3 E90 with M-DCT) firm and answered my question if M-DCT could be ordered with "yes" but later he was surprised that he couldn´t find it on the bmw dealer configurator yet......this dealer told me all the time before that he has no informations on M-DCT...but yet he gives me also an price info (€ 2.800,--)...so I think there must be some form of dealer information/briefing (europe!?) at the beginning of 2008...

One reason could be in my opinion that M-DCT comes first in europe and much later in USA/Canada...would be good for me
But I don´t know what I should believe?????

Greets Uli_HH

Last edited by Uli_HH; 01-05-2008 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #84
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Uli_HH,

Funny that the price you were told by your dealer was basically the same when converted to pounds that I was told (£2000). So may be there is more to this than meets the eye and dealers have been given a price at least if not an official date.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #85
JoB01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50 & 2008 E90 M3

Quote:

a bad one
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #86
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

I can confirm that M-DCT is avaliable for order in Switzerland

I just went to my dealer today and configured my new E90 M3. The order code for M-DCT is 2MK M Doppelkupplungsgetreibe m.Drivelogic.

The price is as stated earlier 5720 CHF.

The Delivery should be around end april or begin May according to the dealer production starts begining Marts.

To the swiss person writing on this thread how much discount did you/do expect to get?

I just hope that the M-DCT is as good as the SMG II in my old E49 M3 as I just loved it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #87
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Exciting stuff. I wonder what happens when a US dealer tries to order that option?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #88
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramsen View Post
To the swiss person writing on this thread how much discount did you/do expect to get?
8%

You?
Appreciate 0