BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #45
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
Exactly. It will prob cost $2,000- $2,500 for it as an option here. They won't price it at $5,000 cause then they will loose a lot of sales. Believe it or not most people buying the M3 in the US will prob be interested in an automatic more than a manual.

AH!!! Take your sacraligious words back!!!!

another scenario.......Hello sir, with the MDCT option, your M3 as configured will be $75,000
      01-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #46
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by domer86 View Post
I talked to my dealer today and they said that the option for my car that is already on order, is NOT available... I asked him if they had heard anything or seen anything lately about it on their site or sales associates and said not at all..... Just give me the option please!!!!!!!!! He said that he would only give me till the 15th of Jan to add options before it goes into production so BMW release it soon...like within the next ten days or so!
I'm praying for you....for myself as well. I will not order without M-DCT. I'm willing to bet it will be available in March.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #47
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
SMG over here was 3000; now DCT is 5000. I doubt that BMW are so desperate that they just give away stuff. Keep on dreaming...
Well, here in the USA the M5 7-Speed SMG is free if you think about it, as the 6-Speed manual transmission is at $0 cost. Every other manufacturer at that price bracket would be charging extra for the SMG or less for the manual; Porsche alone charges some $3200 for its Tiptronic option unless is standard (Cayenne). BMW decided neither.

So in one single way, BMW can give away stuff while making the customer gladly pay for it thru MSRP, thus I don't see why not a M-DCT option at $2400 or less.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #48
///MArdor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
^ right, my guess is still <$3k USD though.
I hope you are right Swamp. I could not justify spending $5k on M-DCT. It would be great to have but not worth the wife asking what the hell cost that much and it doesn't give directions.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #49
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

I just checked what SMG cost in my '02 M3 (in Canada). The option cost CDN$4900 (yes, it was BMW's "oh - look - I've dropped the soap" option, for Canucks).

$4900 Canadian at current exchange rates works out to be, ummm, well, I guess pretty close to $5000. Yikes. I am hoping that is NOT the case, here.

Last edited by TTBear; 01-03-2008 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Corrected misspelling
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #50
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I just checked what SMG cost in my '02 M3 (in Canada). The option cost CDN$4900 (yes, it was BMW's "oh - look - I've dropped the soap" option, for Canucks).

$4900 Canadian at current exchange rates works out to be, ummm, well, I guess pretty close to $5000. Yikes. I am hoping that is NOT the case, here.
If you are using a Canadian price from 2001 ($4900) And you want to compare it then you will have to use the conversion from 2001. Not the conversion today.

I don't know what do you think?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #51
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If you are using a Canadian price from 2001 ($4900) And you want to compare it then you will have to use the conversion from 2001. Not the conversion today.

In Kanada, it won't be more than $2200 that BMW Canada charges for SMG for the M5 / M6. BMW Canada is smart and they have been aggressive given the recent changes in the currency.

The root issue is all the silly people in America who think they can shift better than a computer. Without the silly 6MT, BMW would have been able to capitalize DCT R&D over more units and lower the price.

Get over it people, women don't really care if you can drive stick.
      01-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #52
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
In Kanada, it won't be more than $2200 that BMW Canada charges for SMG for the M5 / M6. BMW Canada is smart and they have been aggressive given the recent changes in the currency.

The root issue is all the silly people in America who think they can shift better than a computer. Without the silly 6MT, BMW would have been able to capitalize DCT R&D over more units and lower the price.

Wow, that seems quite low for the DCT option in Canada. I hope you are right. I agree with the second statement wholeheartedly. As long as M-DCT performs I think the vast majority of those who prefer MT would still buy it and be happy with it. Even though it did not work out perfectly in the NA market BMW offering the M5/6 (initially) and CSL abroad all only with SMG was a good and progressive decision.

Lastly the third statment was the true charm and both really funny and novel. This one has not been brought up in the pages and pages of MT vs. DCT debate.

@///MArdor: Look at the "competitive" (not exactly the same technology) prices from other folks (again like Porshe) and look at what SMG II in the E46 M3 cost. Then think a bit about what folks would label "outrageous". I think putting all of these small details together tells us the price. Even if $3k is off and not high enough there is a snowballs change in hell it'll be $5k in the US.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #53
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
No, but I care if she can drive my stick. She can, so no DCT for me!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #54
Cingulus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 06 A3, 03 350Z TT,

Sorry to be in the dark but what is M-DCT?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #55
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cingulus View Post
Sorry to be in the dark but what is M-DCT?
Dual clutch "automated manual" 7-speed transmission. Manual with paddles or stick, or full auto mode. Likely made by Getrag. Similar to SMG but should be faster and smoother. Not formally announced yet, but a not-so-well-kept secret.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #56
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:

I dunno. At the time, if you compared base price vs base price, when converting from US dollars to Canadian dollars, we were actually paying LESS for our cars than the equivalent, in the US.
However, many of the options (including SMG), as per conversion rate at the time, were MUCH more expensive than in the US.

To wit, I dug around a little, and found this a post that I made way back, just prior to me taking delivery of my '02 SMG (on a different board):

The basic M3 coupe in Canada has as standard: Heated seats, leather, metallic paint, sunroof, power seats (not width - extra cost option), bi-xenon, and HK. The grand total for this is CAD$73,500. I equipped the US M3 to exactly the same standard, and came up with US$52,095. Using expedia.com's currency converter which, at the moment, lists the exchange rate at about $1.59 (guess I won't be taking that trip to NY this year :-( ), it results in a grand total of $83,059, or a difference of just over 9,500 bucks (Canadian)!!!!! Suddenly, things aren't looking so bad....

My point is this - the car itself was cheaper to buy in Canada (something pretty well everyone was cognizant of, at least on Roadfly.com), but certain options, we got raped on, SMG being one of them.

Just my two cents. Here's hoping that the option is nowhere NEAR CDN$5000!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #57
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

If this is true, this is FANTASTIC news for me. If M-DCT was available in time I was planning on taking European Delivery on my new M3 on my birthday (April 9th). If M-DCT is indeed available for mid-March delivery this should work perfect. Now I just have to find a dealer that has an allocation available for ED early April, does not have any markup on the MSRP, and pray that I can lease a new E92 M3 with M-DCT and other options for no more than $1,000/month. Can't wait to see what happens to my insurance, too. It's already approaching $5,000/year for a $45K E90 330i (only ONE accident on my record--the illegal mexican who I hit and did $500 in damage to his car claimed over $15,000 in unfounded medical bills which is why my insurance is so high). If it goes past $6,000/year I might crap my pants.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #58
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Wow, that seems quite low for the DCT option in Canada. I hope you are right. I agree with the second statement wholeheartedly. As long as M-DCT performs I think the vast majority of those who prefer MT would still buy it and be happy with it. Even though it did not work out perfectly in the NA market BMW offering the M5/6 (initially) and CSL abroad all only with SMG was a good and progressive decision.

Lastly the third statment was the true charm and both really funny and novel. This one has not been brought up in the pages and pages of MT vs. DCT debate.

@///MArdor: Look at the "competitive" (not exactly the same technology) prices from other folks (again like Porshe) and look at what SMG II in the E46 M3 cost. Then think a bit about what folks would label "outrageous". I think putting all of these small details together tells us the price. Even if $3k is off and not high enough there is a snowballs change in hell it'll be $5k in the US.

The $2200 is for SMG3 on the M5 / M6. I think it would be difficult for ask for more than $2200 for the MDCT in a M3.

Sometimes the OEM needs to save drivers from themselves......

I should start some polls:
  • Who can brake better than their ABS system?
  • Who can regulate coolant temperature better, you with a valve or engine management?
  • Who thinks electric starters are for wimps?
      01-04-2008, 06:34 AM   #59
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

Here in Belgium my dealer told me about €4000 for the option M-DCT. That's a lot of money, but i think it's worth every cent... :wink:

I'm going to call them if they know allready anything about delivery time...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #60
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's a post that doesn't make a lick of sense.
      01-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:

T Bone, I trust your 335xi is an auto? The Steptronic in the 335i is at least as fast as a human also. Not trying to start an argument, just curious really.

I am mostly with you on this, BTW, despite that I/we drive manuals now. As good as the step in the 335i is, its no SMG/DCT, which is why I would not be surprised if you answer above is "no". Still though, I think its a misstep on BMW's part to not integrate DCT throughout the lineup as VW has, or at least has begun to. Reportedly BMW has no plans for DCT in non-M cars in the future and I think thats a shame. I suppose they will improve the step as time goes (can we get it to hold a gear please, and allow a shift to neutral easily?), but it will likely never perform as well as DCT does/can.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #62
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Update

Called my dealer again today and asked him about the delivery date. Cars with M-DCT can be ordered for production in week 10. However the actual allocations are beeing made during the next 1 or 2 weeks.

I will post updates as soon as I have a written confirmation of my production date.

Btw I asked him what exactly the dealer system says about DCT: "Dual clutch transmission with drive logic". No pictures, no detailed description.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #63
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Quote:
  • Who can brake better than their ABS system?
  • Who can regulate coolant temperature better, you with a valve or engine management?
  • Who thinks electric starters are for wimps?
Well said, sir.

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #64
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

Week 10 coincides with the start of the Geneva motor show

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
Called my dealer again today and asked him about the delivery date. Cars with M-DCT can be ordered for production in week 10. However the actual allocations are beeing made during the next 1 or 2 weeks.

I will post updates as soon as I have a written confirmation of my production date.

Btw I asked him what exactly the dealer system says about DCT: "Dual clutch transmission with drive logic". No pictures, no detailed description.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #65
domer86
Trouble Maker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

so does that mean you will be able to order it for the cars going into production for the week 10 cars? so just a tad bit confused
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #66
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domer86 View Post
so does that mean you will be able to order it for the cars going into production for the week 10 cars? so just a tad bit confused
Yes. Cars ordered for production (not delivery) in week 10 or later can have M-DCT.
Appreciate 0