BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

07-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

6MT "loose" and can be pushed out of 5th and 6th

Not sure if anyone has seen this as I'm one of the few over 100K on my M3. I'm currently at 130K and I'm sure the clutch will need to be replaced soon, but I have something odd going on and I was hoping maybe someone has seen this.

The clutch isn't really slipping that I can tell but the last time I took the car out I noticed the shifter felt "looser" than normal if that makes sense. The car doesn't drop out of gear at all but as a test I put the car in 5th at speed and without pushing the clutch in I pressed the shifter into neutral with one finger. It took a little force but wasn't hard to do.

Has anyone seen this? I'm getting ready to put the car on stands and take a look at the shifter linkage, but I'm more worried it's something with the transmission itself.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
Not sure if anyone has seen this as I'm one of the few over 100K on my M3. I'm currently at 130K and I'm sure the clutch will need to be replaced soon, but I have something odd going on and I was hoping maybe someone has seen this.

The clutch isn't really slipping that I can tell but the last time I took the car out I noticed the shifter felt "looser" than normal if that makes sense. The car doesn't drop out of gear at all but as a test I put the car in 5th at speed and without pushing the clutch in I pressed the shifter into neutral with one finger. It took a little force but wasn't hard to do.

Has anyone seen this? I'm getting ready to put the car on stands and take a look at the shifter linkage, but I'm more worried it's something with the transmission itself.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Normally you should be able to push the shifter out of gear without the clutch if the RPM's are right or you're off-throttle (I could downshift my last MT car w/o the clutch entirely if I matched the revs right), but are you saying that you've never been able to do so before? Can you push it out of gear from 2nd-4th gear or 6th (1st would be harder)?
      07-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

You should be able to push the car out of gear without the clutch in most circumstances. It should not be so easy that you can do it accidentally when your hand is resting on the shifter, but I've never had any problem doing it with a firm push on any manual car I've owned.
      07-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #4
takrdown
Rep

I've been thinking about this more and more and you guys are right....I think I may have a case of bushing that need to be replaced on the shifter linkage. How hard are those to get to?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #5
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Sorry, I'm not sure. Mine is a DCT so I don't have any experience with the 6MT in this car.
      07-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
takrdown
Rep

I'm starting to think it's the shifter linkage bushings that need to be replaced. Do I need to drop the transmission to get to those or can I get there otherwise? Thanks!
Appreciate 0