BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #287
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

So a Subaru Legacy driver and a Z4 driver walk into a M3 bar...

I mean really, it sounds like the beginning of a bad joke.

The semantics of what to call the DCT are pretty irrelevant but it's obvious to anyone with even minimal DCT seat time that the characteristics and operation of the DCT have as much or more in common with a MT then an auto. If you take the time to read DCT threads then you'll also realize there's a lot of 6MT drivers (including me) who switched over to the DCT, because it kicks ass.

So you can continue to wax on and off about a car you do not own, and a DCT transmission with which you have little if any seat time but it does tend to undermine your position. Also please add to your expert list of the characteristics which M cars should and should not have - M cars should not be styled in such a way that leads the general automotive public to refer to it as the "clown shoe" or "elf hearse".
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #288
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
I am in agreement with you and thus might be going with the actual 6 speed manual like I have in my Z4MC. Not really into automatics, havent been since 1993.

Nothing wrong with calling it an automatic at all. Some people just don't know how to drive a 6 speed manual transmission (and don't want to learn) and thus can have the same badging with the DCT/auto car.

IMO I think all M's should be a 6 speed manual or go home. All sports cars should have no powersteering and no automatics. Just like Honda did with the S2000 and they should have made no automatic NSX's. Sorry to ramble. But you get the picture.
so DCT = Automatic?

i think there are 3 types of transmissions, Auto, manual, and DCT/PDK(whatever else they call it)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #289
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
IMO I think all M's should be a 6 speed manual or go home. All sports cars should have no powersteering and no automatics. Just like Honda did with the S2000 and they should have made no automatic NSX's. Sorry to ramble. But you get the picture.
Agreed. Now driving around in my 1M, it does feel special to know that anyone else in a 1M
is sharing the 6MT experience and only the 6MT experience. No shortcuts for 1M drivers.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #290
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
So a Subaru Legacy driver and a Z4 driver walk into a M3 bar...

I mean really, it sounds like the beginning of a bad joke.

The semantics of what to call the DCT are pretty irrelevant but it's obvious to anyone with even minimal DCT seat time that the characteristics and operation of the DCT have as much or more in common with a MT then an auto. If you take the time to read DCT threads then you'll also realize there's a lot of 6MT drivers (including me) who switched over to the DCT, because it kicks ass.

So you can continue to wax on and off about a car you do not own, and a DCT transmission with which you have little if any seat time but it does tend to undermine your position. Also please add to your expert list of the characteristics which M cars should and should not have - M cars should not be styled in such a way that leads the general automotive public to refer to it as the "clown shoe" or "elf hearse".
I hope this is not directed at me because I have and you don't know me or what I have experience on at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, regardless what you or I think. I am not here to debate anything I already know.
There are some cars they should leave alone and standard, period. Sorry you have issues with that. Get over it. So you think DCT is badass, good for you. I think 6 speed manual is the way to go, good for me. So what.

Anyway moving on and not looking back to this.

Good day.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #291
M3gogo
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2009 Melbourne Red

This is my very first post in this forum, I recently joined and to be honest I enjoy reading everyone comments and pictures, I am a huge M3 fans before all.

Well, I just wanted to put some comments concerning the M-DCT vs 6MT discussion I often see and I found sometime a little bit sad to see people "fighting" for this.
I am a happy owner of a E90/M3 2010Y 6MT (Melb Red) that I really really enjoy driving, that's my second M3, the first one was a E46/SMGII Phoenix Yellow that I really enjoyed too. Between those 2 cars, so before buying the E90 I was driving an Audi RS4.

To come back to this 6MT remorse, needless to say I have NONE ! But it does not mean M-DCT is better or worse than the Manual transmission at all. We have to take in account that we are very lucky to have the choice of transmission between a 3 pedals MT and a 2 pedals MT. I remember when I was a young driver, I always dreamed about driving a car having a F1 like transmission, not an AT but this semi-automatic one. And now almost all sport cars are providing this type of transmission that are extremely well made. That's the reason why I've owned an SMGII M3, and even if it was not as good as the M-DCT or PDKs it was truly fun to use, and I still like it (in spite of been less smooth than the M-DCT).

Anyway my point is, after trying the 2 pedals MT, I found myself preferring the 3 pedals MT because playing with the clutch pedal and the stick shift provided more fun and in the same time challenges to brush up my driving techniques (rev-match, H&T etc...).
BUT, the M-DCT is a great mechanism and I understand people choosing it, this is just a question of preference, needs and nothing else.
I test drove several M-DCT M3 and I thought it was an amazing transmission and fun too. The rev-match is perfect and I am sure in a track or a twisty mountain road, allowing the driver to keep both hands in the steering wheel while down shifting is a great plus, more secure and it keeps the Manual type feeling because it is not a traditional AT or CVT, that's a big difference ! In spite of those big Plus I decided to go 6MT because I wanted to and that's it. Pure personal preference
Not because of more or less involvement with the car, I think you all know it, driving an M3 requires quite some involvement whatever it is an MT or DCT !

So for me, MT or DCT ? No big deal, it's an M3 and the fun is the same ! If BMW provided a traditional AT (torque conv type) for the M3 then I think it would be an issue but DCT is like an MT afterall. The M3 magic is still there.

Truly, aren't we lucky to have this type of transmission as an option ?

Sorry for my sudden posting a long comment...

Best,
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #292
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3gogo View Post
This is my very first post in this forum, I recently joined and to be honest I enjoy reading everyone comments and pictures, I am a huge M3 fans before all.

Well, I just wanted to put some comments concerning the M-DCT vs 6MT discussion I often see and I found sometime a little bit sad to see people "fighting" for this.
I am a happy owner of a E90/M3 2010Y 6MT (Melb Red) that I really really enjoy driving, that's my second M3, the first one was a E46/SMGII Phoenix Yellow that I really enjoyed too. Between those 2 cars, so before buying the E90 I was driving an Audi RS4.

To come back to this 6MT remorse, needless to say I have NONE ! But it does not mean M-DCT is better or worse than the Manual transmission at all. We have to take in account that we are very lucky to have the choice of transmission between a 3 pedals MT and a 2 pedals MT. I remember when I was a young driver, I always dreamed about driving a car having a F1 like transmission, not an AT but this semi-automatic one. And now almost all sport cars are providing this type of transmission that are extremely well made. That's the reason why I've owned an SMGII M3, and even if it was not as good as the M-DCT or PDKs it was truly fun to use, and I still like it (in spite of been less smooth than the M-DCT).

Anyway my point is, after trying the 2 pedals MT, I found myself preferring the 3 pedals MT because playing with the clutch pedal and the stick shift provided more fun and in the same time challenges to brush up my driving techniques (rev-match, H&T etc...).
BUT, the M-DCT is a great mechanism and I understand people choosing it, this is just a question of preference, needs and nothing else.
I test drove several M-DCT M3 and I thought it was an amazing transmission and fun too. The rev-match is perfect and I am sure in a track or a twisty mountain road, allowing the driver to keep both hands in the steering wheel while down shifting is a great plus, more secure and it keeps the Manual type feeling because it is not a traditional AT or CVT, that's a big difference ! In spite of those big Plus I decided to go 6MT because I wanted to and that's it. Pure personal preference
Not because of more or less involvement with the car, I think you all know it, driving an M3 requires quite some involvement whatever it is an MT or DCT !

So for me, MT or DCT ? No big deal, it's an M3 and the fun is the same ! If BMW provided a traditional AT (torque conv type) for the M3 then I think it would be an issue but DCT is like an MT afterall. The M3 magic is still there.

Truly, aren't we lucky to have this type of transmission as an option ?

Sorry for my sudden posting a long comment...

Best,
Great first post, and welcome!
      12-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #293
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The fact that DCT is so good makes it a tough choice.

I chose DCT so my wife could drive it. So I looked at it as an automatic. I also have a 6MT E46 330Ci which I plan to keep. So the DCT was something different to play around with.

Quite honestly, I have more fun driving my 330Ci...not that the M3 is inferior.

Bottom line is everyone makes a choice based on different circumstances. So one isn't better than the other in every situation.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #294
mahmud///M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Quote:
Agreed. Now driving around in my 1M, it does feel special to know that anyone else in a 1M
is sharing the 6MT experience and only the 6MT experience. No shortcuts for 1M drivers.

Couldn't agree more
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #295
M3gogo
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2009 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Great first post, and welcome!
Thank you very much !
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #296
Purple88Gold
Holding Out
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 88 Honda Civic DX

Do we have a poll here of how many people on this site drives 6MT and DCT?

I'm also interested to know how many people actually traded a 6MT for a DCT and vice versa.
      12-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #297
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple88Gold View Post
Do we have a poll here of how many people on this site drives 6MT and DCT?
Nope. We have two. Maybe even three.

Quote:
I'm also interested to know how many people actually traded a 6MT for a DCT and vice versa.
There's a poll for that too. Actually, IIRC, the choices were "have DCT but want 6MT" and "have 6MT but want DCT".
Appreciate 0