BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

Mporium BMW

05-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
sym3
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Accident, advice needed.

I had an accident yesterday at 8:45am outside the exit of Holland tunnel on the NJ side (where there are many gas stations). I was going straight in my own lane and a woman driving a Jeep on my left hand side suddenly changed into my lane and hit me. My door, rear left quater panel, and the rear bumper was damaged.

The port authority police came and I told him the exact situation. Then I called the woman's insurance company (she uses Liberty Mutual and I use GEICO) yesterday to file a claim. The adjuster told me that he has to wait for the response of the other driver.

This morning, I called the other driver's insurance company again and the adjuster told me that the driver says she turned on the signal, didn't see me and suspected that I was speeding. This upset me a bit. The accident happened in the morning at busy hours and tracffic was really heavy. There is no way that I was speeding.

I am waiting for the police report to come back. I would like to hear any advice that you guys might have. Does any of you have similar experience like this? There is no way I am willing to take any responsibility on this. It wasn't my fault. Now, I am kind of worry what the police is going to write on the report. Because obviously, the other driver told the police her version too. What should I do if the police report says that we are both at fault?

I suspect that there are many cameras around the Holland Tunnel area, if the police report comes back not favarable to me, do you think I can ask for access to those camera footage? Does it worth to hire a lawyer to help? How much is it going to cost? And is it possible to recover the cost from the other driver if the judge decides that I am not at fault.

Sorry for the many questions, it's my first accident and it's sad that the other driver is not being honest. Any comment is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by sym3; 05-13-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
BigGuyM3
BBM Pin# 295E3EA9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

insurance

Dont worry about it too much, insurance companies are not stupid, she hit you while you were in your lane doesnt matter if you were speeding on not, she didnt see you its her fault even if she had her signal on, insurance companies with do the investigation, plus if this happen inside the Holland Tunnel there is no changing lanes that allowed.
      05-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
sym3
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your response, BigGuyM3. Sorry I wasn't being clear. It happened outside the tunnel where there are many gas stations and lane changing is allowed.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
BigGuyM3
BBM Pin# 295E3EA9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

hey

thats fine, if she hit you coming into your lane and hit you on the side/rear its her fault she should have been paying attention, and if she had a signal doesn't mean anything, and if you were speed that would show in skid markes or you would spin out etc making the situation alot worst, and if she just hit you and you stop you can see that plus you still have the right of way, in your lane. You should be fine i wouldn't stress over it too much, cops and insurance will see that, they are very good at this and know what they doing even if a driver lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sym3 View Post
Thanks for your response, BigGuyM3. Sorry I wasn't being clear. It happened outside the tunnel where there are many gas stations and lane changing is allowed.
      05-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
red998
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT

sucks, i feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Derek@MAC Auto Couture
Rep
n/a
Drives:

If we can be of service, or advise you, please let me know.

Derek
516-676-7985
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek@MAC Auto Couture View Post

Derek
516-676-7985

+1 for MAC. After looking at their work, they'd be my first pick when it comes to work/repair.
      05-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

i know how you feel. last fall i was in a fort lee shopping center parked on one side of the aisle and there was a subaru crossoverparked on the other side of the aisle. I started to back out, and so did she. the difference between me and her was, she had the windows down blasting music, on the phone and not even looking. i backed out maybe 3 feet when she whipped her car out. i couldnt even pull foward fast enough to avoid her hitting me. she was so careless she didnt realize she even hit me until I was screaming out my window. my bumper was scratched and since she hit me her damage started from the rear drivers door all the way to the front quarter panel. So we step out of the cars, she tells me "YOU HIT MY HUSBANDS NEW SUBARU" I then explain, "OH NO NO NO, YOU HIT MY 75k car" she doesn't want to call the police, I insisted. Police come, she cant find her documents. I tell them she was on her phone and had music blasting, she now changes the story that she wasn't on the phone and that SHE wanted to call the police.

police report says we are 50/50 at fault because of nj law about parkinglot accidents. her and i discussed that we would each pay for our own repairs. so i take mine to get fixed. one week (october) and $1540 later I get my car back detailed and new bumper cover. Now mid April my insurance is calling and calling claiming that her husband reported her car to insurance to get repaired. Geico claims now that I am responsible for 50% of her damage. I decline to pay because i paid for my repair out of pocket. so for weeks I received calls from geico almost to the point of harrassment that I owe them money for her car. Now heres where it gets interesting, when I say well if im paying 50% then shes paying 50% for my car. The agents "forgot" to tell me about that. When I found out how much her damage was (1400), I told the agent that you have been harrassing the wrong person because my damage was 1540 so gieco or this woman owes me a check for $70. Once they realized they had to pay me, the calls stopped, the emails stopped. and no check... not a call since. I called gieco and they seemed to have "forgotten" all the details of the accident...

anyway I hate horror accident stories, and I hope the best for you, and I hope it all works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
sym3
Registered
Rep

Thank you, guys. I am stilling waiting for the police report. I am a bit concern about the rear quarter panel. Should I fix it or replace it?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

^--- def call M.A.C. They will hook you up.
      05-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek@MAC Auto Couture View Post

Derek
516-676-7985
+1, they will make your car look like the way it was before the accident but...
Appreciate 0