BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-02-2022, 02:09 PM   #375
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

You mean a tune to enhance the sound, but not alter performance at all?

How would that even be possible?

And if currently no tune, the Alpine performance tune that does impact performance may perhaps be quantified by the factor of the plenum?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #376
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Thanks for chiming in and posting those details. Many of us are excited about the Haimus design, and curious about real world specs.
I am very interested in the intake elbow and airbox lid options to obtain complete set up!
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2022, 02:14 PM   #377
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

And if currently no tune, the Alpine performance tune that does impact performance may perhaps be quantified by the factor of the plenum?
Wondering the same thing too... Assuming the volume of air within the plenum increases, and the tune can be done to effectively manage the inflow of the air in the plenum, shouldn't the engine see increase in power? Maybe not a significant increase but additional few HP/Torque at least?
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 02:44 PM   #378
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Indeed, increased fueling for larger volume of air should impact performance. I'll reach out to Alex too to get his opinion as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 06:19 PM   #379
zcp312
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloumeM View Post
Wondering the same thing too... Assuming the volume of air within the plenum increases, and the tune can be done to effectively manage the inflow of the air in the plenum, shouldn't the engine see increase in power? Maybe not a significant increase but additional few HP/Torque at least?
I have the Alpine tune, the tune itself is of course one that significantly helps with performance. With this tune you can list the mods on the car when you request a map and depending on the mods the file might be slightly different to accommodate (ie forward facing xpipe). If you list an aftermarket plenum as a mod, Alex puts something in the map to make the plenum sound louder but he said it's sound only. I'm #16 on the list and would dyno once I got the plenum but unfortunately my car is out of commission for the foreseeable future with engine issues as of last week
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #380
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

I wonder what can possibly be done to make it louder, a comparison of this before/after would be cool too.

Per the Haimus site, there are more gains with a tune.

Either way, I'll be logging my engine data first using a logger, and sending that file to Alex in order to get the most efficient tune possible.

I'm #20 on the list for the plenum though, so once I get to dynoing it, everyone else would have already had theirs installed… so, anyone getting it now should hopefully throw it on a dyno during install.
Appreciate 1
zcp31294.50
      06-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #381
cloumeM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wonder what can possibly be done to make it louder, a comparison of this before/after would be cool too.

Either way, I'll be logging my engine data first using a logger, and sending that file to Alex in order to get the most efficient tune possible.

I'm #20 on the list for the plenum though, so once I get to dynoing it, everyone else would have already had theirs installed… so, anyone getting it now should hopefully throw it on a dyno during install.
I have the Evolve Stage2 tune where my plan to install the Haimus plenum was mentioned to Evolve team. After the installation, and couple of other work done (intake elbow, spark plugs, etc.), I plan to ask for Mateen and his team for additional tune option. There might not be much to be done, but I would love to squeeze more power if possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:29 PM   #382
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:

I thought the Alpine tune didn't request your logs for tuning? It was actually one of the reasons I was going to go with a different tuner. ( I seem to remember this being an issue with forward facing x pipes.) If Alex requests the logs now, all the better.

I figured the logs would help more than just the mod list.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #383
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

He doesn't request it, it's optional. You can tell him which mods you have, and he'll adjust accordingly, or you can send the log file.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #384
zcp312
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
He doesn't request it, it's optional. You can tell him which mods you have, and he'll adjust accordingly, or you can send the log file.
What logger do you use?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 09:48 PM   #385
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcp312 View Post
Quote:
What logger do you use?
I was going to use BMWLogger by Bimmer Software, but I'm researching other ones too.

There are some cool looking virtual dyno softwares out there too, which can test your horsepower and torque, you just need to find a long, flat road to get accurate results.
Appreciate 1
zcp31294.50
      06-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #386
Grippinaround
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Any update on the status of the plenums that haven’t been shipped?
      06-06-2022, 02:49 PM   #387
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

Has anybody installed theirs yet? I installed mine last week, and it sounds so good! Makes you wanna redline everywhere.

I honestly wasn't expecting too much, but it's quite noticeable when stepping on the gas and then it just howls to 8300 rpm. At idle and low rpm's the exhaust note got a tad louder which was unexpected. Btw, I'm running test pipes and stock muffler.

It's a great mod for sure, no regrets. Can't tell if there are any power gains, but the CF plenum is definitely lighter than OEM, probably by a good 4-5 lbs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-06-2022, 03:54 PM   #388
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Let me guess… You also didn't think it was worthwhile to dyno before/after install?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #389
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Let me guess… You also didn't think it was worthwhile to dyno before/after install?
You are so hung up over this. Its NOT that common for the average customer to do before and after dyno sessions with each and every part.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #390
TDW_Nero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurymanguy View Post
Any update on the status of the plenums that haven’t been shipped?
Expecting 4 to arrive from Haimus later this week/early next week (2 Logo, 2 blank) I'll be sending these out as they come.
Appreciate 2
cloumeM165.50
      06-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #391
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
Quote:
You are so hung up over this. Its NOT that common for the average customer to do before and after dyno sessions with each and every part.
I think you've missed the point completely, my friend; This is a novel design, unlike any other plenum.

The intake tubes are vertical stacks (instead of curved trumpets). Overall inner volume is increased. Very different from what BMW engineers designed for this engine.

It's significantly different and more unique than just another "part."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:22 PM   #392
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

I hope my contentions aren't misperceived as skepticism. I believe these changes are well thought-through. Build quality looks amazing… Hence, I've made the purchase.

I'm just as excited as everyone else, but I'm just adhering to the 10th Man Rule on this, so think more dyno data is imperative.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #393
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

Quote:
I suppose it's not high on my list of priorities to verify a 4 hp gain. I mean, if I had a dyno in my garage ready to go, then no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #394
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

… assuming it's a gain, and not a loss.

Again, more regarding 10th Man Rule principle to reassure a novel design, rather than skepticism.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 07:10 PM   #395
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:

Again, more regarding 10th Man Rule principle to reassure a novel design, rather than skepticism.
To be fair, we all want to see dynos but I agree most of us don't have time or access to do it push come to shove. I really wanted to dyno my car after I had a Harrop blower installed, and I wasn't going to go out of my way to go to another shop before and after the installation, I put my foot down and really liked what I felt. Now with this plenum, I'd run for the hills. Dropping that kind of $$$ on intake noise (no HP) is beyond comprehension. Maybe no dyno because in this case ignorance is bliss.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #396
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Quote:

To be fair, we all want to see dynos but I agree most of us don't have time or access to do it push come to shove. I really wanted to dyno my car after I had a Harrop blower installed, and I wasn't going to go out of my way to go to another shop before and after the installation, I put my foot down and really liked what I felt. Now with this plenum, I'd run for the hills. Dropping that kind of $$$ on intake noise (no HP) is beyond comprehension. Maybe no dyno because in this case ignorance is bliss.
Certainly another fair point, however there is already tons of data on how Harrops perform, so you knew with certainty it wouldn't be a loss in power. This isn't the case here, we just don't know.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, I just think given this particular design/dynamic warrants dyno runs.

I was about to pull the trigger on a CarboProject plenum when I saw this GB, and glad I went with Haimus.
Appreciate 0