BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #309
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwestm3 View Post
So, why are the Blackstone Lab reports useless? They simply relay the amount of various metals in the oil. Their analysis inputs (acceptable averages if you will) are based off of thousands of BMW's in the year/model range tested. If the bearings are wearing improperly, you will see an upward trend in the amount of metals in the oil right? It will start out as increased amounts of lead, and then copper once you get to that level on the bearings. Once copper levels go up, I would think you may consider changing b/c they are clearly worn to that level. Now...I can see the report would be useless if you do it just once, but the whole idea is to look at trending. I'm no expert, but I'm not ignorant as to why I have the reports done. What am I missing (serious question...)?
You're on the right track, however I think some users state that the report is "useless" for the 2010+ S65's with the non copper/lead bearings. A report from those engines won't show any copper or lead and could still have bearings that are a moment away from failing. It's much more difficult to track bearing trends in those engines from an oil report.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #310
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: to Drum & Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutcars View Post
b. the problem isn't rod or main bearings, but that BS has gone massively viral for the last 5 years so that even if BMW said tomorrow the problem is not RB it's <%%%%>, people in this forum will still talk about RB and blackstone.
What's the problem then? It'd be good to know as I'm looking to buy an M3 (S65) and want to know if there's any preventative maintenance/replacements I can do to help dodge this bullet.
Cheers.
Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      04-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #311
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Change the bearings as preventative maintenance, buy an extended warranty, or choose to believe there is no problem.
Appreciate 1
K-M390.50
      05-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #312
zjiyuan89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2020 X5 40iXD

Hi Justin,

I may have the same issue as you had couple of years ago. Do you still remember what ticking noise sounds like?
Here is my thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...4#post21640114
It sounds like what you described from your bad rod bearing.

Thanks bro,
Johnny
      07-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #313
sbrandon12
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I have a 08 m3 and I hope I get as blessed as you. I've had the car for a month and I haven't even made my first car payment. I heard a noise yesterday same cylinder as your car. Ill PM you as soon as I can and I hope you can help me out. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #314
zeemy
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3

This just happened to me on Thanksgiving day! BMW dealership is qouting me 4.5k just to look at the issue. Then without even looking at it, the advisor is telling me im either going to need a short block @ 16k or a long block at 28-30k NOT including labor. I noticed that the OP has not signed in since Jan of 2017. Can anyone advise next steps? I saw that there is a class action but last update was Oct 2016.

I have an 08 M3 with 80k on it and the knocking is just horrendous. I guess I will just follow up wiht BMWUSA and see what they say.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #315
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemy View Post
This just happened to me on Thanksgiving day! BMW dealership is qouting me 4.5k just to look at the issue. Then without even looking at it, the advisor is telling me im either going to need a short block @ 16k or a long block at 28-30k NOT including labor. I noticed that the OP has not signed in since Jan of 2017. Can anyone advise next steps? I saw that there is a class action but last update was Oct 2016.

I have an 08 M3 with 80k on it and the knocking is just horrendous. I guess I will just follow up wiht BMWUSA and see what they say.
I'm going through it right now, mains let go, should hear from bmw in the next few weeks.

I was quoted 3500 to tear engine apart. I figured it was rods so I took it home and rolled my sleeves up. Before I knew it I was borrowing an engine hoist....

They want to know what failed before talking to you, if your not up to doing it yourself have an independent mechanic look at it then confront bmw with evidence.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #316
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I tend to doubt BMW will do anything on a car that has been out of warranty for years. I certainly would not want to pay those prices to BMW, after it produced a product that was not reliable. I would find an independent shop. Might be worth shipping the car somewhere -- like Deansbimmer, a member here who is a mechanic that has rebuilt and/or swapped these motors. You'll spend much less than at a dealer -- like probably half based on those numbers you posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #317
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Quote:

I tend to doubt BMW will do anything on a car that has been out of warranty for years. I certainly would not want to pay those prices to BMW, after it produced a product that was not reliable. I would find an independent shop. Might be worth shipping the car somewhere -- like Deansbimmer, a member here who is a mechanic that has rebuilt and/or swapped these motors. You'll spend much less than at a dealer -- like probably half based on those numbers you posted.
Alternatively, if the dealership is at the bottom of a hill, you can ghost ride it through their showroom floor and tell them they can have it back.
Appreciate 5
K-M390.50
Ngilbe361618.50
kyippee1073.00
M3LISSA796.50
      11-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #318
ericxog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk996 View Post
Alternatively, if the dealership is at the bottom of a hill, you can ghost ride it through their showroom floor and tell them they can have it back.
LOL
Appreciate 1
Duk996245.00
      11-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #319
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear this! Hopefully with the support here on the forum you'll get past this soon. What were the conditions when it happened? RPMS, temps, etc....

GM

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #320
zeemy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCHEM83 View Post
Sorry to hear this! Hopefully with the support here on the forum you'll get past this soon. What were the conditions when it happened? RPMS, temps, etc....

GM
Well, BMWUSA called back and they stated they will forward this to regional management and have them decide.

On a cold start, The knocking is so bad I can actually feel it.

Once the car is warmed up and going through first gear it’s pretty bad, but the rest of gears and under 3k rpm you don’t hear it. The second I go over 3k it’s pretty noticeable. Like the OP stated it’s primarily on acceleration not deceleration.

I might just end up selling the car to carmax or something. My other thought was to push this issue on Twitter and tag bmwusa. I feel if there are a lot of people with the same issue tagging them, maybe... just maybe they might do something?
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #321
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Well, BMWUSA called back and they stated they will forward this to regional management and have them decide.

Once the car is warmed up and going through first gear it’s pretty bad, but the rest of gears and under 3k rpm you don’t hear it. The second I go over 3k it’s pretty noticeable. Like the OP stated it’s primarily on acceleration not deceleration.

I might just end up selling the car to carmax or something. My other thought was to push this issue on Twitter and tag bmwusa. I feel if there are a lot of people with the same issue tagging them, maybe... just maybe they might do something?
#s@cks !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #322
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCHEM83 View Post

GM

Let's give them a chance. I would love to hear conversations over there about this. In the past month or so they have fielded at least 3 of these that I know about.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #323
houston
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

good luck. Mine went with 17003 miles on it. less than a year out of warranty. BMW had my car for a month before sending from person to person until I finally got a legal like email telling me to go pound sand. Luckily I have MBP that took care of it 100%. At one point my BMW dealer offered to do it at cost, but on the agreement that they would not tear down the engine (IE I would not know root cause.. I felt this was a tactic to prevent any legal remedies in the future). I will just say dealing with BMW NA was a final straw and my 4th BMW will be my last. Not saying you shouldnt try, but I will say that you are most likely looking at getting a used engine and having an indy shop do the work. BMW Dealer is $$$ and arguably questionable quality of work/expertise.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #324
zeemy
Rep

heard back today and bmw will not be helping in any sort of way. :/ Didn't hurt to try.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #325
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
heard back today and bmw will not be helping in any sort of way. :/ Didn't hurt to try.
Sorry to hear it. Call these guys and let them know you exist.

The lawyers representing the Class are Paul Scarlato from Goldman Scarlato & Penny, Ben Siminou from Thorsnes Bartolotta McGuire LLP, and Matthew Schelkopf from McCune Wright, LLP. You can reach Paul Scarlato by email at scarlato@lawgsp.com or by phone at 484-342-0700. You can reach Ben Siminou by email at siminou@tbmlawyers.com or by phone at 619-236-9363, and you can reach Matt Schelkopf by email at mds@mccunewright.com.
Appreciate 3
NoHedge67.50
aus891.50
      11-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #326
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

With the lawsuit, BMW can’t help. It would be an acceptance of responsibility. They deny any responsibility for bearing issues, though if a car breaks while under warranty they will fix it. Only a few cars are still under warranty.
Appreciate 1
blue-mw217.00
      11-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #327
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Can you tell us what their response was and how did they correspond with you. Phone call, text, email, smoke signals etc... I really am curious at what level this type of communication goes to. I have called BMW USA before and spoken to an operator but never any higher. Was it an operator who called you back or actual management? Did you ask to speak directly to upper management? Sorry about all the questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #328
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
With the lawsuit, BMW can’t help. It would be an acceptance of responsibility. They deny any responsibility for bearing issues, though if a car breaks while under warranty they will fix it. Only a few cars are still under warranty.
That's what I said X-times..

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #329
zeemy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Can you tell us what their response was and how did they correspond with you. Phone call, text, email, smoke signals etc... I really am curious at what level this type of communication goes to. I have called BMW USA before and spoken to an operator but never any higher. Was it an operator who called you back or actual management? Did you ask to speak directly to upper management? Sorry about all the questions.
So what I did was i went on twitter and looked up the handle (@BMWUSA) and noticed they were telling all of their upset customers to email bmwusacares@bmwusa.com.

So I sent a detailed email to that email and then tweeted @bmwusa about how i reached out to them and what were the next steps were. You will be able to see my tweets to them if you go to the 'tweets & replies' sections of their account on twitter.

I sent the tweet out on Sunday. About my 9am Monday morning i got a call from a supervisor stating she got the email and she forwarded it to Regional management. She was the one who spoke to the dealership on my behalf and regional management. I guess when regional management said no, they emailed her and she communicated it to me. I asked to speak to them, and she said that was not possible (which I call BS on, I'm sure if I had raised enough hell I would've gotten through).

Honestly, I feel I got stuck with a crappy supervisor. Like when it came down to it she was just like 'okay have a nice day' and hung up on me. There was no sense of remorse no apology or anything in regards to what I was having to deal with. No apologies or anything. I actually had to call her today to see what was going on and I left her a voicemail. When she called me back she was just like 'yeah, i already told you yesterday that I most likely nothing was going to happen and that's what regional management emailed me today'. There was no "Hi MR. XXXXXX, how are you etc etc"

Idk.. i might wait a few days and call directly to the 1800-831-1117 (BMW USA customer relations number) and ask to speak to a supervisor off the bat and just maybe try again.

The service manager, did drop the diagnosis fees to $180 and i found out there was metal in the oil filter. Throttle actuators have failed, an oil leak and my Right Rear differential is making noise. They quoted me a total of $35k. Not including labor.

Soooooooo not sure what I am going to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #330
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Go full retard and start blowing up everyone and their mother. You got nothing to lose at this point.
Appreciate 1
M3LISSA796.50