BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #67
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I am planning a road trip with a few friends for next year (perhaps as late as next New Year's, work permitting). Ideally, with a stopover at the "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina. I've done the drive once before, but that was in a completely different car!

I'd like to also do a road trip up to Quebec city in the fall, I hear it's beautiful! Any suggested roads or routes once in Canada are most appreciated
A couple of us are going from Dallas, TX to the Tail of the Dragon during the Summer. Let me know if we can coordinate and meet there.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #68
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Completed my ride from Chicago to Houston.

The hardest part of the trip was getting my drive-away sticker on a Monday when most of the full service DMV locations are closed. Once I got that, it was smooth sailing.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #69
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Bimmerfest East 2012.
Sorry, I don't get out much.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #70
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TysonRa View Post
I think about going to the nurburgring for 2 or 3 days. someone here wants to do a m3 session at the ring,pm me!
Will drop you a msg once dates are finalised!
      01-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #71
WBMW5S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535I SPORT

Sounds like great trips especially when you find that perfect winding road where doing the speed limit (or little over) can give you that sensation of being on the track..

Also for the people taking those long trips do you carry the DIY spare tire, or an extra bottle of "fix a flat". Just curious...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #72
TysonRa
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Will drop you a msg once dates are finalised!
fine, perhaps I have holidays, would be cool!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #73
TysonRa
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I´d like to organise a meet here in germany, but the community isn´t as big as in the states and the guys that own BMWs, modify their cars that I could cry and the guys look like this:

very sad...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #74
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motif View Post
Nice trips lads, i wish yall well

I am heading from Tampa to Philly...Then Philly>Tail of the Dragon>AL>North FL>Tampa. Hopefully i won't become friends with any staties along the way

Anyone know if Nashville worth stopping by? or perhaps Knoxville is enough for a big country music fan?
I recommend Nashville for sure a visit to the Grand Ole Opry is a deffinate must along with a great meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Completed my ride from Chicago to Houston.

The hardest part of the trip was getting my drive-away sticker on a Monday when most of the full service DMV locations are closed. Once I got that, it was smooth sailing.
Glad to hear all went well

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Bimmerfest East 2012.
Sorry, I don't get out much.
Do you have the dates and location yet? (I will google it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMWM3 View Post
Sounds like great trips especially when you find that perfect winding road where doing the speed limit (or little over) can give you that sensation of being on the track..

Also for the people taking those long trips do you carry the DIY spare tire, or an extra bottle of "fix a flat". Just curious...
Winding roads are great fun (if you ever get to Germany do get onto the back roads and off the Autobahn for some great roads).

I never carry a spare during my e46 years (2004 to 2010) I never ever had a flat. I did use the inflation kit a few times just to pressure the wheel up to the right pressure.

On long drives I rely on Road Side Assistance again I never had the need to use them.

Quote:
I´d like to organise a meet here in germany, but the community isn´t as big as in the states and the guys that own BMWs, modify their cars that I could cry and the guys look like this:

very sad...
I'm sure if you make the right research you will also find the right company

Good Luck it be great fun to organize road trips in Germany, I know it is done and quite often is a mater of fact.

so it's not sad after all all you need is to try harder

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #75
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:

very sad...
I actually helped push start a modded car on my first ED trip. I SWEAR it was those exact two guys that I helped!!! That is hilarious. I was on a country road outside of Stuttgart at a petrol station and they were trying to push start their car,, but the guy pushing was so skinny he could barely budge the car! It was funny to see the look on their faces when I jumped out and "Talked all American" at them and started pushing! I remember having to do that with my 74 Chevy C10 pickup!

I love road trips. I'm thinking either Yosemite or an East coast trip this year, but I can't decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #76
Franky840
///M3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 ///M3 AW Edition

Garage List
2010 E92 ///M3  [9.34]
OP,
two summer ago I did a nice one:
Quebec city, Mount Washington, Boston, Cape Cod, New-York, Washington, Lake Placid and Quebec City.

pman10,
if you go to Quebec city, you also need to drive up to Charlevoix. It is very nice.

Frank
      01-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #77
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky840 View Post
OP,
two summer ago I did a nice one:
Quebec city, Mount Washington, Boston, Cape Cod, New-York, Washington, Lake Placid and Quebec City.
Frank
Done that trip a few time when we lived in Montreal ... only back in them days in my American cars Great scenery all along love the Boston and Cape Cod area.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #78
TysonRa
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I actually helped push start a modded car on my first ED trip. I SWEAR it was those exact two guys that I helped!!! That is hilarious. I was on a country road outside of Stuttgart at a petrol station and they were trying to push start their car,, but the guy pushing was so skinny he could barely budge the car! It was funny to see the look on their faces when I jumped out and "Talked all American" at them and started pushing! I remember having to do that with my 74 Chevy C10 pickup!

I love road trips. I'm thinking either Yosemite or an East coast trip this year, but I can't decide!
funny story!!!I would like to see their look of their faces
where did you drive when came by at stuttgart?

@Rolf-Dieter
yeah it´s a bit superficial to say that there are for the most part ugly modified BMWs! But a lot guys really ruin this beautiful cars....like the thread I saw called "e46 m3 sedan". unbelievable!
Perhaps I have to search more, or I try to talk more of my friends into buying BMWs!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #79
Franky840
///M3
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 ///M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Done that trip a few time when we lived in Montreal ... only back in them days in my American cars Great scenery all along love the Boston and Cape Cod area.
Totally agree on scenery, I'm looking forward to see pictures of your future road trip.

Frank
      01-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #80
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky840 View Post
Totally agree on scenery, I'm looking forward to see pictures of your future road trip.

Frank
I've got tons of pictures from my 2009 road trip in Germany when I made my VW, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW factory & museum round trip ... this fellow here followed in my foot steps (so to speak) and used a better camera for his snap shots. Perhaps that is why I never posted all my photos.

He made it in 4 parts, it is a great story and a first class photo shoot ...

Enjoy ===> CLICK to View this excellent Photo shoot

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #81
Franky840
///M3
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 ///M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I've got tons of pictures from my 2009 road trip in Germany when I made my VW, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW factory & museum round trip ... this fellow here followed in my foot steps (so to speak) and used a better camera for his snap shots. Perhaps that is why I never posted all my photos.

He made it in 4 parts, it is a great story and a first class photo shoot ...
Ri
Enjoy ===> CLICK to View this excellent Photo shoot
My god , I need to do that trip sometime. I have already been to Germany, but only in Berlin.

Thanks for sharing

Frank
      01-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #82
BetterLate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 JtB E92

Hey Rolf-

If you ever get through Indianapolis, my offer for the beer still stands. We could check out the Indy 500 Museum too.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #83
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterLate View Post
Hey Rolf-

If you ever get through Indianapolis, my offer for the beer still stands. We could check out the Indy 500 Museum too.
That is a great museum! It's just as good as the Audi/BMW/Porsche museums in Germany. Different genre, but awesome just the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #84
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterLate View Post
Hey Rolf-

Will do, look forward to it

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #85
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I know I have to go from Central TX to Philly and back. I will likely stop in Atlanta and Baltimore to see friends/family. Not sure what else will be on the itinerary.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #86
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So nobody else is planning a 2012 road trip ... is it the gas prices fellows? don't mind them think of the Europeans they are paying slightly over $11-/US Gallon ... so our gas is still a bargain

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #87
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Just wondering what you guys do to the car before you have a road trip. Is their anything beyond checking the tire pressure and buying a bother quart of oil?

I'm going to be doing the Calgary, Canada to SoCal 1800 mile drive on thursday so if you recommend any routes, please let me know.

Thanks
      03-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #88
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Just wondering what you guys do to the car before you have a road trip. Is their anything beyond checking the tire pressure and buying a bother quart of oil?

I'm going to be doing the Calgary, Canada to SoCal 1800 mile drive on thursday so if you recommend any routes, please let me know.

Thanks
Sandy, For a long trip like this do make sure you have a proper tire pressure gauge. One that reads out PSI on a dial (I will try to find you a picture). A spare pint of oil is a must just in case you burn oil on this trip. The right oil is hard to find in small towns (I know it happened to me). BMW sells the right oil just tell them what you are driving. In 2010 I traveled from Ontario to California and back, a small cooler and plenty of water is a must for your use (especially should you plan to do the Mohave Desert it's a great drive).

A tire pressure gauge something like this one here ---> Click to Open

Your local tire shop or automobile outlet should have them on the shelf.

On long trips it's a good idea to always cary some sort of first aid and safety kit, again if you are stranded and far from a town it does come in handy. I always do, then that's just me

Here is some info on this subject ---> Click to Open

Have a safe trip ...

Rolf

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-26-2012 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0