BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #23
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman View Post
Is there a way to fix the intake rattle without going back to the old filter? I removed the one that came with my 08 M3 (I got othe car second hand) and put in a Stage 2 AFE filter and arm. Around the same time I went catless and resonatorless so the sound is on steroids.
I don't believe so. These high flow filters are exaggerating the natural resonance this engine has at those speeds.
      02-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #24
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

I have this noise too and was worried about it, specifically mine also appears at 2500 -3000 rpm under light load in 3rd gear (but not in 1st or 2nd). In 4th gear (or higher gears) road noise and air aerodynamic noise may be covering it as i cannot hear it and it is slight in third gear.

It seems there is a moderate consensus that it's just resonance from/through the air intake or natural resonance from the engine with the air filter. It would be nice if someone could post an audio file of it.

I will try if i get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #25
Cwleo
Rep
Drives: E90 m3

Hi guys,

Is this the mechanical fluttering sound everyone is experiencing (link below) Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #26
Cwleo
Rep
Drives: E90 m3

It sounds a bit more sinister than air flow resonance. Sounds metallic imo...

The fluttering sounds seems to be less sIgnificant when using a higher octane fuel. Would this mean engine knocking at lower octane fuel?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #27
kooolaid
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Lexus GS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwleo View Post
Hi guys,

Is this the mechanical fluttering sound everyone is experiencing (link below) Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

I have the exact same sound and it is definitely not air intake sound as we all know intake sounds beautiful. I first took my car to a several local BMW independent shops. But one thought it was engine knocking and other could not identify. So I ended up dropping it off at Southbay BMW. I just got a call from them and they weren't able to find any issues with the car and telling me it's normal sound... I just cannot agree with them as it is metal chirping sound almost like something is very loose...anyways, I hope someone can identify this sound. At this point, I'm just glad it's not engine knocking, but would like to know what it is.

Last edited by kooolaid; 01-10-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #28
Blyy23
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooolaid View Post
I have the exact same sound and it is definitely not air intake sound as we all know intake sounds beautiful. I first took my car to a several local BMW independent shops. But one thought it was engine knocking and other could not identify. So I ended up dropping it off at Southbay BMW. I just got a call from them and they weren't able to find any issues with the car and telling me it's normal sound... I just cannot agree with them as it is metal chirping sound almost like something is very loose...anyways, I hope someone can identify this sound. At this point, I'm just glad it's not engine knocking, but would like to know what it is.
Chill my friend,
Lots of people have this noise. most of them think it is airintake, But some times this noise will gone. One time, I am almost out of gasoline, this noise is gone, and today, I put my Stock Xpipe back, this noise is gone too.(I had ran a MS catless xpipe)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:21 AM   #29
OzCraig
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 E90, DCT, Space Grey

Quote:
Hi guys,

Hey mate,

I am getting the exact same pinging noise, rattling and intermittent tick.
The pinging noise has come on in the last 2000km and the ticking and rattling noises have ONLY come on since my change from TWS to LiquiMoly.
The LM has made my engine a heck of a lot mechanically louder and produced an intermittent tick that wasn't there before (This is identical -
)

The suggestion from my mechanic was to swap the rod bearings ASAP. So once I can get a hold of some BE shells and studs it will come out of the garage again.
I'll let you know if it resolves the noises.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #30
AznSupraTT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Supra

Quote:
Hi guys,

anyone figure out this noise?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #31
OzCraig
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 E90, DCT, Space Grey

Hey mate,

I am intermittently getting the same sound.
Apparently a potential cause is the low pressure fuel sensor playing up.
I have that and other issues like running rich, really rough starts. I have a LPS on order, if it fixes the issue I'll let you know.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 02:51 AM   #32
solistics
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M2

Same rattling issue here in my car and inside the car it almost sounds like the exhaust is rattling.

SouthernBM kept the car for a couple of days but couldn't find a problem. It's heading in tomorrow for it's 50k service and I'll get them to check it again. Thanks to the poster of the vid, super helpful!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #33
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Shift down and drive faster, keep the rpm above 3k guys.

All is well all is good
      06-27-2017, 03:00 AM   #34
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Part is a rattle but also I have logged data and if you are in too high of a gear and bogging the engine the knock control system is going wild as given this engine, if rpms are too low and you are in a high gear you are loading the system and the engine will knock unless the knock control starts working overtime so not sure if its a combination of dialed back combustion as it shows on the logging data.
Hi, i think i may have similar issue in 1000-2000 rpm. Happens in gear 2-6. Not something major and can definitely be avoided by driving in manual mode. Can be reduced by setting higher d level. However if the dct is late to shift down it will happen.

Happens when we suddenly mash down the pedal to accelerate. But not in 1 gear which will be an issue if it does

By any chance you know how to fix this?
      06-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #35
solistics
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M2

Picked up my car yesterday from SouthernBM who took a good look at the problem. They upgraded the DME software to the latest version (my car is a 2013, no tune) and I'm now driving a rattle-free car.

FYI, my car sounded just like the video posted above previously.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #36
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by solistics
Picked up my car yesterday from SouthernBM who took a good look at the problem. They upgraded the DME software to the latest version (my car is a 2013, no tune) and I'm now driving a rattle-free car.

FYI, my car sounded just like the video posted above previously.
I also have a 2013. What version is the new software? Did the dealer say what the benefits of upgrading are?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #37
AznSupraTT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Supra

Quote:
Hi guys,

So any definitive answer other then airbox and normal sounds? I hear it on my car with the AA supercharger and obviously their DME tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #38
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSupraTT View Post
So any definitive answer other then airbox and normal sounds? I hear it on my car with the AA supercharger and obviously their DME tune.
I hate to pour gasoline onto the bonfire that is rod bearing hysteria, but my car had the exact same 'knocking' noise is the video quoted above. It could be reproduced 100% of the time by accelerating hard from 2nd or 3rd gear with the engine off-idle (aka bog the engine). the knock/ping sound would start at around 2800rpm and disappear by 3500 rpm. It first happened in September during a trip to San Francisco. I thought it was the crappy CA 91 octane gas. When i arrived home in Seattle i filled up with my normal Shell 92, but the sounds persisted. After several bad Blackstone labs reports, I had my rod bearings replaced last week and since then ( last week ) i have not been able to reproduce the noise since.. strange, eh?

Sold- 2011 335i Sedan | 6MT | Wavetrac | Eibach Pro | CDV delete | Cobb | BSW
Sudden death - 1970 BMW 2002
Appreciate 1
Duk996244.00
      11-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #39
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
I hate to pour gasoline onto the bonfire that is rod bearing hysteria, but my car had the exact same 'knocking' noise is the video quoted above. It could be reproduced 100% of the time by accelerating hard from 2nd or 3rd gear with the engine off-idle (aka bog the engine). the knock/ping sound would start at around 2800rpm and disappear by 3500 rpm. It first happened in September during a trip to San Francisco. I thought it was the crappy CA 91 octane gas. When i arrived home in Seattle i filled up with my normal Shell 92, but the sounds persisted. After several bad Blackstone labs reports, I had my rod bearings replaced last week and since then ( last week ) i have not been able to reproduce the noise since.. strange, eh?
So the bearings was knocking for two months driving??
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #40
winbasic
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
What year is your car? I do regular Blackstone testing but I'm not sure of it's value given the car is 2012 so I understand they use a different bearing which has less trace metals in it which can be picked up by the test.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #41
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
So the bearings was knocking for two months driving??
like i said i thought it was a lean mixture or something to do with fuel delivery. If I suspected rod bearings i would not have left it for 2 months. i didn't expect the noise to go away, but it has

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #42
Peertwelve
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbasic View Post
What year is your car? I do regular Blackstone testing but I'm not sure of it's value given the car is 2012 so I understand they use a different bearing which has less trace metals in it which can be picked up by the test.
2008 E92 build date 6/08. I went from 4 ppm lead to 15 in January and then up to 30ppm in October. That's when i decided to change the bearings

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #43
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSupraTT View Post
I hate to say it too because people jump on you and say you're bearing hysterical but I agree. Take a few minutes to pull the oil filter and check it for any metal debris, it will cost you nothing and you can quickly rule out a major bearing fail. For it to be a bearing and sound like there would be debris. Here is mine after 2 mains went and made similar noises, very fine particles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #44
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm sorry, this just sounds terrible. Check the oil filter for fine debris.
Appreciate 0