BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #23
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Yes please find out the price. Also for the Sachs kit on the GTS please, if possible.

What are you implying with the twin tube? From what I have read, at the non-racing level it makes no difference assuming it is properly designed...
Doesn't a monotube shock always control pressure and temperature better, so would it not be better in all situations??
      01-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #24
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Enthusiasts tend to debate the merits of monotube vs. twin-tube shocks a lot. For street use either type when properly calibrated for the application can provide good results. For the track it gets tricky as the rapid weight transfer and vehicle speed give a shock quite a workout and that causes the oil to get hot. In general monotube shocks tend to exhibit better oil temp and viscosity control because they have larger pistons and direct cooling of the outer body of the shock compared to a twin-tube shock. In addition monotube shocks are gas pressurized which prevents the oil from cavitating under hard usage, which a twin-tube design is more inclined to do.

So in reality monotube shocks are preferred by many but not all. Koni and others have been successful with twin-tube shocks for the track in many cases. I do believe an experienced driver can feel the difference between a quality monotube and twin-tube shock on track after running for 15+ minutes depending on their skill level. The new Ohlins R&T shocks may prove to be good but they certainly are not the same design as their pure race shocks by any means. Only time will tell if the new design is effective.
Thanks for the reply.
      01-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Yes please find out the price. Also for the Sachs kit on the GTS please, if possible.

What are you implying with the twin tube? From what I have read, at the non-racing level it makes no difference assuming it is properly designed...
Yes, on the Sachs kit for the GTS.
      01-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #26
M GmbH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 318 Ti Lemons Car

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #27
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Also according to Ohlins web site, the M3 GT4 kit is a twintube design as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Ohlins makes some great stuff and I know some evo guys who have had some great results with them. They can be revalved for higher springs and track work if needed too. The only reason I wouldn't get them is because they are not double adjustable. Perhaps ohlins will release the DA flag series as well. For the money though I can't think of a better single adjustable shock.

All of this has got me thinking about the need for mid range coilover for the M3. I think that the stock suspension is so good that you don't really gain that much performance unless you go with the high end stuff. Perhaps that's why companies like KW are only making clubsports and V3's. Thoughts?

Last edited by RickyBobby; 02-03-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #29
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Ohlins makes some great stuff and I know some evo guys who have had some great results with them. They can be revalved for higher springs and track work if needed too. The only reason I wouldn't get them is because they are not double adjustable. Perhaps ohlins will release the DA flag series as well. For the money though I can think of a better single adjustable shock.

All of this has got me thinking about the need for mid range coilover for the M3. I think that the stock suspension is so good that you don't really gain that much performance unless you go with the high end stuff. Perhaps that's why companies like KW are only making clubsports and V3's. Thoughts?
What shock is better for the money?
Im surprised GC has not released anything.
      02-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #30
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
What shock is better for the money?
Im surprised GC has not released anything.
Oops. Fixed my iPhone typo. Meant to say that I can't think of a better SA shock than the ohlins r/t.
Don't quote me but I think GC has something for our cars. I saw him at infineon a while back and he said he did anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #31
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Ohlins makes some great stuff and I know some evo guys who have had some great results with them. They can be revalved for higher springs and track work if needed too. The only reason I wouldn't get them is because they are not double adjustable. Perhaps ohlins will release the DA flag series as well. For the money though I can't think of a better single adjustable shock.

Well, the only way we can really judge whether a so-called 'mid-range' kit is better or worse vs. stock (or even DA) is putting cars back-to-back on the track. Without testing, all we can do is basing the performance on various companies' experience and record, and speculate based on very limited info.

IMO a properly tuned single adjustable shock specifically for the M3 can be just as good as DA if the rebound/compression curves are matched correctly to the car and spring rates. Think F1 which uses non-adjustable shocks.

I am very curious as to whether the GTS's shocks are SA or DA. If my prediction is correct, they might be the same as Sachs' performance kit shocks, which is SA.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #32
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, the only way we can really judge whether a so-called 'mid-range' kit is better or worse vs. stock (or even DA) is putting cars back-to-back on the track. Without testing, all we can do is basing the performance on various companies' experience and record, and speculate based on very limited info.

IMO a properly tuned single adjustable shock specifically for the M3 can be just as good as DA if the rebound/compression curves are matched correctly to the car and spring rates. Think F1 which uses non-adjustable shocks.

I am very curious as to whether the GTS's shocks are SA or DA. If my prediction is correct, they might be the same as Sachs' performance kit shocks, which is SA.
Have you been able to dig up any more info on the Ohlins kit?
      02-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #33
Simon@RENNSpec
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW

TTX is made in Sweden, cost about 12-15g depending on application. DFV (Road & Track) are design & manufactured in Japan, it's a separate division from Ohlins Racing AB!

http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/4w/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #34
SupremeDTM
MEISTERWATCHES.COM
Philippines
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

any news on this ohlins kit?
      04-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #35
col.faith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3 edition AW

any updates?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #36
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by col.faith View Post
any updates?
+1
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #37
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i am sponsored by ohlins for motocross and i use there TTX susp on my race bikes. it is amazing to say the least. i can call my contact and see if i can get any kinda special pricing on the road stuff if you guys want. esp if it was more then one kit i could get even better pricing.

i can't promise anything but maybe my ohlins dealer can do something for me on these. lmk if you guys are interested and i will find out

H
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #38
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i am sponsored by ohlins for motocross and i use there TTX susp on my race bikes. it is amazing to say the least. i can call my contact and see if i can get any kinda special pricing on the road stuff if you guys want. esp if it was more then one kit i could get even better pricing.

i can't promise anything but maybe my ohlins dealer can do something for me on these. lmk if you guys are interested and i will find out

H
please!! thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #39
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV-E92M3 View Post
please!! thank you
+1
      04-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #40
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

oh hell yes... I have ohlins on my 1000rr. I would like to have it on the M as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #41
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ok will do, i will make a call to my sponsor tom and see what is up. i would think they would as i have sold alot of ttx kits for them by letting guys at the track ride my bike then after can't even go back to theres bc it is that good and they go and buy a ttx setup

so hopefully they can do something
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #42
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

just spoke to my susp tuner and he knows his stuff. he worked for Ohlins in sweden for 10 years making susp and then has now gone on to do his own thing but he is still an ohlins dealer for ohlins usa. he said that might be the snag in this bc i am sponsored by ohlins usa and he is almost positive the car stuff is from the ohlins sweden division and if that is the case i am nothing to them.

he did say though that he would expect the top line stuff to be a couple years ahead of anything out there from other companies. he said when he worked there the stuff they made was just light years ahead of the others

i can vouch for that in my susp on my race bike. the shock has this CSC button that is like actually revalving the susp just by clicking it. like having traction control on a shock. it is hard to describe but it is quite amazing. and the forks are the same planted and feels like the bike is on rails.

i am pumped now bc if we can get some kinda deal i might get it too. i had no intention of changing my susp other then springs but if the road stuff is as good as the mx stuff i might be sold

i just put on my new TTX kit on my 250 race bike. they changed alot for 2010. i don't have much time on it yet but it is better then my 09 stuff was

so cross your fingers guys and we will see what happens

H
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #43
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

spoke to my ohlins sponsor. he can't promise anything but he is at least gonna try and if it is cool then he will get me prices. if it is a no go then he won't bother he said bc it would be same price as anywhere else i am guessing. but if there is a deal to be had then we will find out
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #44
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
spoke to my ohlins sponsor. he can't promise anything but he is at least gonna try and if it is cool then he will get me prices. if it is a no go then he won't bother he said bc it would be same price as anywhere else i am guessing. but if there is a deal to be had then we will find out
Can he get any specs/details on the kit? That would be a good start.