BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Tracking with stock suspension stripped?

Was watching hot version vol.138..I was intrigued that gt86 ran 10kg/mm springs F/R, which is considered pretty low rate for a touge/track car in JP. 16kg to 20k is normal, some go as far as 30k in the rear for improved turn in.

That got me thinking, how well would our M3 ride when stripped to around 1450kg on a stock suspension (ZCP/EDC/standard)? Has anyone tried this to get a baseline data?
      12-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It's not so much the springs that are the problem- it's the valving. Springs control how much weight is transferred, and valving controls how fast it happens.
Reducing weight isn't going to help the valving, edc or not.
m13s25.50
      12-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

If you're going through the effort to strip the car, for track or autox use, you might as well go about upgrading the suspension at that point as well. The stock suspension is okay, but even some entry level (decent stuff) 1-way adjustable set of coilovers will be a massive improvement.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It's not so much the springs that are the problem- it's the valving. Springs control how much weight is transferred, and valving controls how fast it happens.
When you say valving, are you referring to adjusting fluid(oil or air) flow within the shock? I was always interested in how the stock suspension achieves variable damping force without shorting out the circuits for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
If you're going through the effort to strip the car, for track or autox use, you might as well go about upgrading the suspension at that point as well. The stock suspension is okay, but even some entry level (decent stuff) 1-way adjustable set of coilovers will be a massive improvement.
Ah, I am not thinking of stripping my car just yet.. just wanted to know how much difference it makes with an evenly balanced strip car(front and rear, left and right) as I already have a track car(not M3)
      12-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
When you say valving, are you referring to adjusting fluid(oil or air) flow within the shock? I was always interested in how the stock suspension achieves variable damping force without shorting out the circuits for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Ah, I am not thinking of stripping my car just yet.. just wanted to know how much difference it makes with an evenly balanced strip car(front and rear, left and right) as I already have a track car(not M3)
Yea, I'm talking about the fluid within the shocks. Edc electronically changes the fluid viscosity... or at least that's my guess.
It's not as good as proper valving.
      12-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

EDC changes valve orifice geometry. EDC is not magnetorheological. That’s a different setup not sold on the E9x. Bmw has yet to adopt MR tech unless I missed something on the newest cars
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
roastbeef11586.00
      12-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

A lot of talk here, I also don't believe it is magnetic or the current high tech adjustable systems. I think I read somewhere that it just turns a knob via electronics. Seems to adjust rebound only.
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324495

Last edited by kyippee; 12-26-2018 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
EDC changes valve orifice geometry. EDC is not magnetorheological. That’s a different setup not sold on the E9x. Bmw has yet to adopt MR tech unless I missed something on the newest cars
I see. So is it a solenoid or something inside there rotating the valving? I'd be curious to see what it looks like.