BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #45
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Paid yourself to learn a valuable lesson, haha. That's what I tel myself anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #46
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlo View Post
Wouldn't a leaking injector show some oil dilution with fuel?
Injector stuck open in 2019, not this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post

I would be more concerned with any residual debris blocking an oil passage.
I see your point, but if it was a hydrolock, it means, besides the piston ring, everything was okay the entire time until the blow up happened, then the engine worked like 5-10 seconds sucking oil with big fragments (in comparison with metal shavings from bearings problems) that maybe didn't have time to reach the oil pickup tubes.

I mean, engine can be very clean, right?
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #47
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Actually, I checked out an old picture of 2020, when I changed the rod bearings and also the spark plugs, and guess how the cylinder 5 spark plug looked like.

I'll post the picture. It's the lower first left one. You can see some oily stain mark right below the washer.

That may indicate that back in those days that cylinder was burning more oil than the others, what you say?

Dont have a picture of the current spark plug now, because I'm out of home for some days, and I didn't remove the spark plugs yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #48
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
Actually, I checked out an old picture of 2020, when I changed the rod bearings and also the spark plugs, and guess how the cylinder 5 spark plug looked like.

I'll post the picture. It's the lower first left one. You can see some oily stain mark right below the washer.

That may indicate that back in those days that cylinder was burning more oil than the others, what you say?

Dont have a picture of the current spark plug now, because I'm out of home for some days, and I didn't remove the spark plugs yet.
What's the mileage of those plugs? If the plugs were regularly serviced they won't look nearly at all that black/brown. Looks like the engine was burning quite a lot of oil too...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #49
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
What's the mileage of those plugs? If the plugs were regularly serviced they won't look nearly at all that black/brown. Looks like the engine was burning quite a lot of oil too...
Can't say for sure, I'm fourth owner, and previous owner wouldn't give any maintenance history, saying only that it was everything regularly maintained.

I changed them at 70,000km.

I did post that image in this forum back in the time I changed them, but nobody seemed to observe anything abnormal.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 08:42 AM   #50
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

What would you guys say about this weld in the picture below?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14409695610...961a%7Ciid%3A1

Also,

What would that little spring in the attached picture come from?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #51
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

That spring looks like it from a ball point pen!

That was the motor I had referenced in an earlier post. Although the welded section is not near a dimension critical area (like a weld near a crank journal), you would have to rely on the repair as having kept that mounting point the same. It looks like it is one of the alternator mounting points but you should verify.

That motor will need a new head. Assuming the head in your current motor is still good, you will need a head gasket and other parts, along with the timing tools. You should research the TIS, as it may say you need new head bolts. Although that may not initially seem like much of an added cost, all those added parts can quickly add up. It may raise the cost of getting that motor running to that of a working salvaged motor.
Appreciate 2
jvictormp881.00
DrFerry6728.50
      08-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #52
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Are those 10mm nuts on the left side? (for context of the spring size).
If so, perhaps that spring was part of a pressure relief valve? Just guessing mind!
      08-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #53
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ev4AA...7e/s-l1600.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DwUAA...7i/s-l1600.jpg[/IMG]

Also,

Things that come to mind are mostly about structural or dimensional changes that might have occurred because of the nature of the repair.

I imagine that the BMW engine block goes thru some sort of tempering (heat treating) prior to the final machining process?
Welding aluminum alloys can cause a "Heat Affected Zone" around the weld bead, that anneals all or part of the welded piece and the parent material nearest the weld bead.

Also, when welding on castings, there is the potential for issues like porosity, and generally a weld bead can shrink the surface which could cause stress.

I'd be curious about a couple of things:

How did the original crack start?
How was the crack prepared prior to the weld?
What is the roundness of the cylinder bore nearest the weld?
Have the threads in the welded area lost strength (soft due to annealing)?
Why was the engine removed?
How many miles, if any, had been accumulated after the weld repair?

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 3
SAMM3Y3085.00
JP102463.00
      08-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #54
drrust
Captain
Rep

The same seller on EBay also has a motor with low compression in one cylinder at a similar price point. Either route would be rolling the dice. One may be able to get either motor running well with your current motor donating some parts. Whichever route you take, make sure you've planned for some contingencies. Examples: on repaired block, alternator being out of alignment. Low compression block needing to get cylinders honed. The list could become extensive, but understanding the road you face will help with your decision making process.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #55
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

I understand all those factors, and thank for having your contribution.

What makes me curious about those engines is this: why do they ask those high prices for blocks/engines that are so risky of being bad?

I mean, if there is people buying those blocks enough to prevent the prices from dropping, where are those people and what is going on with the engines they are buying?
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      08-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #56
drrust
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I understand all those factors, and thank for having your contribution.

What makes me curious about those engines is this: why do they ask those high prices for blocks/engines that are so risky of being bad?

I mean, if there is people buying those blocks enough to prevent the prices from dropping, where are those people and what is going on with the engines they are buying?
From various searches, it seems that a bare block would be on the order of $2k, the other parts of the motor could be sold individually too, likely coming in for above $4k total.

Edit: Curently on EBAY there is a supposedly clean block for $3k and a block with a beat up cylinder wall for under $1k.

However, the demand seems to be low for parts such as camshafts and heads so one could be holding on to the parts for a long time. That seller seems to showing more wrecked E46 M3s on IG lately, but the E90/92 come up often. If the welded up block was running, it would be more enticing. As it sits now, it is not clear how they would guarantee the motor (which they say they do).
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      08-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #57
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
Quote:

[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ev4AA...7e/s-l1600.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DwUAA...7i/s-l1600.jpg[/IMG]

Also,

Things that come to mind are mostly about structural or dimensional changes that might have occurred because of the nature of the repair.

I imagine that the BMW engine block goes thru some sort of tempering (heat treating) prior to the final machining process?
Welding aluminum alloys can cause a "Heat Affected Zone" around the weld bead, that anneals all or part of the welded piece and the parent material nearest the weld bead.

Also, when welding on castings, there is the potential for issues like porosity, and generally a weld bead can shrink the surface which could cause stress.

I'd be curious about a couple of things:

How did the original crack start?
How was the crack prepared prior to the weld?
What is the roundness of the cylinder bore nearest the weld?
Have the threads in the welded area lost strength (soft due to annealing)?
Why was the engine removed?
How many miles, if any, had been accumulated after the weld repair?
Couldn't have said it better. I don't have weldability concerns - time and money and it can be done. The concern is distortion to precision machined inner diameters without the means to correct them. This is a coming from a guy that runs both precision machining operations as well as a weld division that puts down thousands of lbs of various metals on a monthly basis.
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      08-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #58
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I’d be more concerned about the crash that broke part of the block. Who knows what else happened or how thoroughly it was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #59
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Thanks for the considerations, guys.

A clean block for 3k, as drrust mentioned, seems to be a good way to go.

By the way, I just remembered that the oil I bought in Mercado Livre (similar to ebay here in Latin America) was in a good price (not absurdly low, though), and there is half liter remaining in the garage. The seller is well reputed in the community.

Should I get a lab analysis on that oil to make sure it is genuine and not related to the problem?
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      08-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #60
drrust
Captain
Rep

Quote:

By the way, I just remembered that the oil I bought in Mercado Livre (similar to ebay here in Latin America) was in a good price (not absurdly low, though), and there is half liter remaining in the garage. The seller is well reputed in the community.

Should I get a lab analysis on that oil to make sure it is genuine and not related to the problem?
Analysis of the oil would only be worth while if the system to make a claim was straightforward and low cost. I'm not sure how legal suits are handled in Brazil, but in the U.S. it would take significant time and likely money to make it through the legal process. As the remaining oil you have is in an open container, they could claim you had tampered with the sample.

You are better off waiting until you take the motor apart and see what actually failed.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 12:03 PM   #61
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

The oil analysis wouldn't necessarily be a complete waste of time though.

If the analysis came back clean, you could at least rule it out as a possible contributing factor, and you might gain some confidence about the seller for future purchases.

If the oil analysis shows an issue, then you might have at least a possible contributing factor, and you'd know not to purchase from that seller in the future.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #62
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Every time I see this thread I get a little bummed out at losing another S65, good luck friend, I hope you find a reasonable solution soon!
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      08-31-2021, 09:18 AM   #63
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

I'm getting an engine winch, and an engine support, and I'm gonna disassemble that m*****f**k*er all at home.

Already got a car lifter couple of days before blowing the engine.

Found a great channel on youtube about that, named Sarka on the Ring.

I plan to begin the job by 10th September.

You sure can expect me to show up with many many questions after that.

Last edited by jvictormp; 08-31-2021 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-31-2021, 09:58 AM   #64
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
I'm getting an engine winch, and an engine support, and I'm gonna disassemble that m*****f**k*er all at home.

Already got a car lifter couple of days before blowing the engine.

Found a great channel on youtube about that, named Sarka on the Ring.

I plan to begin the job by 10th September.

You sure can expect me to show up with many many question after that.
Good luck, sincerely, you are doing the lords work.

Just, eh, consider weighing how much all this is costing vs a replacement engine though.

I wish I had your drive and determination!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #65
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
Good luck, sincerely, you are doing the lords work.

Just, eh, consider weighing how much all this is costing vs a replacement engine though.

I wish I had your drive and determination!
I think I'll need a new engine anyway, even though I won't have the money right now.

Would have to pay someone to disassemble the engine and tell me what the hell happened, otherwise I would die of curiosity.

So, between paying someone to do, or using that money to buy tools and doing it myself, I'm the kind of person who prefers the later.
Appreciate 5
      08-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #66
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
Saying you're seeing a trend with a specific bearing brand means you should have the data to back that up. I'm glad you're cleaning up and walking back that comment.

As a BE reseller, nobody follows this topic closer than we do. So let me tell you what I've seen: there is no trend -- with BE or any others. The number of failures are so few between all of them combined that you can literally count them on less than your 10 fingers. At least with BE, they don't sweep anything under the carpet and they discuss everything in public, post pictures, root cause analysis, etc. BE is always there to help educate and inform. Too bad the other vendors don't.
And THIS is why I waited and spent the money on BE/ARP for my car.
Appreciate 0