BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-30-2022, 07:08 AM   #45
Bigtriece
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Yup mine is 100% doing it from the temps. The past two weeks my car has sat for a week off tender in the garage. Cranked first time after sitting for a week each time the following morning after sitting outside in 35-45 degree temps it refuses to start. Won't even hear the starter click. All other electronics work.

Typing this as I sit in it. I bet it starts by the time I'm done.

It's so weird. Maybe to solenoid is going bad and in the cold doesn't have the power to spin the gear to get the car to start under a certain temp.....

Yup just cranked after sitting in it for 3-4 min.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:11 AM   #46
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtriece View Post
Yup mine is 100% doing it from the temps. The past two weeks my car has sat for a week off tender in the garage. Cranked first time after sitting for a week each time the following morning after sitting outside in 35-45 degree temps it refuses to start. Won't even hear the starter click. All other electronics work.

Typing this as I sit in it. I bet it starts by the time I'm done.

It's so weird. Maybe to solenoid is going bad and in the cold doesn't have the power to spin the gear to get the car to start under a certain temp.....

Yup just cranked after sitting in it for 3-4 min.
Every time I post about my starter issues I'm sitting in the car trying to start it.
DrFerry6728.50
      01-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #47
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idfkman View Post
Every time I post about my starter issues I'm sitting in the car trying to start it.
Do you have the ability to keep it parked while plugged into a Battery Tender?

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #48
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:

[IMG]https://www.toolsource.com/images/pr...200Wx1200H.jpg[/IMG]
Yep, I tried to no avail. Certainly doesn't seems to be a battery issue. I can sit in the car for 30
Mins trying to crank the car off the battery. Walk away and return 5 mins later and attempt it one more time and it'll start right up.

I'm waiting out the starter install until next week when it should reach 50 a few days. Curious if the problem still occurs then.

As an alternative I'll run my propane heater in my garage which will promptly get my garage to 80-90 degrees plus and let the car sit in there for an few hours and then crank it. Just truly curious if this only has to do with the car being cold.

Not sure what that will help me in terms of diagnostics but, my curiosity will atleast be satisfied.

Also, I need to check the ground cables next weekend when I have time.
      01-30-2022, 09:01 PM   #49
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:

[IMG]https://www.toolsource.com/images/pr...200Wx1200H.jpg[/IMG]
Yep, I tried to no avail. Certainly doesn't seems to be a battery issue. I can sit in the car for 30
Mins trying to crank the car off the battery. Walk away and return 5 mins later and attempt it one more time and it'll start right up.

I'm waiting out the starter install until next week when it should reach 50 a few days. Curious if the problem still occurs then.

As an alternative I'll run my propane heater in my garage which will promptly get my garage to 80-90 degrees plus and let the car sit in there for an few hours and then crank it. Just truly curious if this only has to do with the car being cold.

Not sure what that will help me in terms of diagnostics but, my curiosity will atleast be satisfied.

Also, I need to check the ground cables next weekend when I have time.
Hhhmm.. the Sherlock Holmes in me says the heater and warm temperatures cause thermal expansion, so probably does cranking the starter motor. Is it possible a loose connection somewhere that "responds" to the heater and heating? Could also put it to bed with a blanket (car cover) until the ambient temperature increases though I suppose a propane heater does the same thing and faster. Anyway, sounds like you have a plan. Good man. Well done. And good luck. Let us all know how it goes.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #50
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

In my case I've had this starter issue when the engine was hot, so not just during cold weather.
Appreciate 0