BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

DO88 Radiator Installation Question - Help Fitting Radiator

Today I have been trying to get the DO88 radiator in place but it just won't sit all the way back, so as to be able to get the screws in. When I put the radiator in place, being a little wider than stock (~1/8" at the mounting tabs), it pushes the radiator mounting brackets outwards and lets the condenser fall a bit. I have to reach in and get the condenser back in place but the radiator itself will not reach the screw mounting hole on the passenger's side, in particular. Has anyone had this problem? Or are there some nuances in getting the radiator seated properly?

Prior Post:

I am in process of refreshing my M3's cooling system and decided to go with a DO88 radiator. The installation instructions call for removal of the front bumper, but TIS (for replacement of the radiator) does not. I also cannot see why it would be necessary to remove the bumper since the radiator comes out through the engine bay. Can anyone who's installed one of these radiators confirm whether bumper removal is at all necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rantarM3; 01-13-2021 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

You can swap the rad with the bumper on the car. Its not a bad install at all
      12-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
I am in process of refreshing my M3's cooling system and decided to go with a DO88 radiator. The installation instructions call for removal of the front bumper, but TIS (for replacement of the radiator) does not. I also cannot see why it would be necessary to remove the bumper since the radiator comes out through the engine bay. Can anyone who's installed one of these radiators confirm whether bumper removal is at all necessary?

Thanks in advance!
I believe do88 document discusses the installation of the dkg/engine oil/ps cooler all at once thats why it mentions bumper removal

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Bump for new question.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

I recall there being some ridges you have to file down for it not to be as tight a fit on the driver side of the radiator support ( step 16 of instructions). Assuming you did this, I had no other issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
I recall there being some ridges you have to file down for it not to be as tight a fit on the driver side of the radiator support ( step 16 of instructions). Assuming you did this, I had no other issues.
Yes, I did that and followed the instructions to no avail. I will have to try again although a photo of a fitted radiator might be helpful. I also noticed that the mounting holes are farther apart than on the stock radiator, but that would only affect the screw going in, and not fitting the radiator in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

I have to yet successfully install this radiator, as its fitment is pretty awful. After calling Autocoture about this, they said that fitting it was a bit "tricky" and that if I still had trouble, I should call back and maybe I could speak with a tech. Deciding to measure mounting points resulted in my finding out that the do88's brackets are welded incorrectly and have to be cut down to allow the radiator to clear the top of the right "module carrier" (i.e., the plastic bracket that holds the condenser and radiator in place). And now more work is needed for the radiator to make contact with the rubber seal that is supposed to make contact with the top, so as to seal the incoming air from going around and into the engine bay.

I will write up a review showing everything that I had to do to get it to fit properly. VERY disappointed with this piece.
Appreciate 0