BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

01-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #1805
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiceman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I am missing the LVDs input cable and have two extensions. Any chance we could swap cables?
That stinks so you didn't have these two? I had a momentary pause when I did mine because I didn't think it all would work. It was a bit strange at first that one cable from the car goes direct into the MMI box and another is the extension/adaptor for the connection between the MMI and the CIC if I recall correctly. I actually think I didn't have the extension cable pictured, just the one. I also have a CiC.
I just have two extension cables. Honestly I don't think I even need an extension because I think the pink cable would fit into the Carsara output without it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #1806
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Gave the car a longer drive today with the coded aux and the audio is great. I tried a lot of tracks that I've listened to frequently (pre-hearing loss) with some really rich instrumental tracks (Dave Matthew's, Steely Dan, some other Jazz), some hip hop and EDM tracks and with some EQ tweaks it really sounds great. I think some of the hollowness due to the original aux cable was probably a result of a long run of low quality cabling. I really don't think I could ask for a better result regardless of cost.

I will say that having to deal with 2 EQs is the biggest pain in the equation. I tried Malek's E90 presets but found them way too tinny/high frequency boosted for me. Knowing what I know about hearing loss, you really need to EQ to best suit your ears. The older you are the more high frequency sensitivity you lose so no one will ever have perfect EQ settings. FWIW I had my latest hearing test less than 6 months ago so I know what my frequency range looks like in my good ear (which is normal, I only have loss in one ear).

Give yourself an extra 30 minutes during the install to try and EQ some tracks you listen to and after coding the aux from the quad lock I think you'll be very happy. This easily sounds better than my new X5 with the base audio.
      01-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #1807
magungo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

I dont know if the m guys have this issue but i noticed the air recirculating button on the steering wheel switches the airplay back to cic mode. It still toggles the air recirculating button which is good. Just a small annoyance to have to hold menu to switch it back.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:29 PM   #1808
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I will say that having to deal with 2 EQs is the biggest pain in the equation. I tried Malek's E90 presets but found them way too tinny/high frequency boosted for me. Knowing what I know about hearing loss, you really need to EQ to best suit your ears. The older you are the more high frequency sensitivity you lose so no one will ever have perfect EQ settings. FWIW I had my latest hearing test less than 6 months ago so I know what my frequency range looks like in my good ear (which is normal, I only have loss in one ear)
+1 to this. I just reverted to Malek's settings in an attempt to try and find the "right spot". I haven't had enough time to play with the Carsara settings any further but it does sound (generally) pretty good. I listen to a lot of newer hip hop/rap/country/pop and am finding a lot of inconsistencies in the audio. Not necessarily a fault of the system (kinda), but mainly just the frequencies I look for subconsciously when listening to different genres tend to shift.

For example, newer hip hop/rap usually has super deep and rich bass (low frequency) and high tap (high frequency), vocals usually fall in the middle. When I crank up the low frequency in the EQ it can get a little overbearing at certain tones, and the mid tones just arent there. The rest of the car sounds amazing though. So this has me looking at underseat sub upgrades as it should fix this perfectly.

Some things to consider here for anyone reading:
1. My car has individual audio/EPS
2. Im young, my ears work well.
3. Music is streaming from youtube music app/spotify.

#3 is a big deal as the bit rate is different across all platforms. Apple music has the highest streaming bit rate over any other commonly used platform, followed by Spotify, and youtube coming in last. So this DOES effect audio quality and your EQ settings may differ depending on which platform you use.

As cyberdemon stated, there really is no "universal" eq settings without using a hz meter. It just depends on what kind of music you like, how good your ears are, and how picky you are. Malek's settings are a good baseline to work off of, but not perfect.

Last edited by icanturn; 01-04-2021 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cyberdemon1537.50
      01-04-2021, 11:35 PM   #1809
icanturn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magungo View Post
I dont know if the m guys have this issue but i noticed the air recirculating button on the steering wheel switches the airplay back to cic mode. It still toggles the air recirculating button which is good. Just a small annoyance to have to hold menu to switch it back.
I dont have an an air recirc button on the steering wheel. its usually on the dash next to temperature dials.

Last edited by icanturn; 01-05-2021 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #1810
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

I'm looking to add ACP to my '09 CIC e90 M3 (no factory Bluetooth). I'm trying to validate the components needed for this upgrade. Based on my research, it looks like the only thing I need if I go the "Andream" route is this product for $259.

I see they also sell a CIC screen - is this component required if I already have a CIC screen?

Finally - with the Andream retrofit, does anyone have feedback on audio quality via Bluetooth audio (i.e. via Spotify)?

Cheers!
      01-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #1811
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
I'm looking to add ACP to my '09 CIC e90 M3 (no factory Bluetooth). I'm trying to validate the components needed for this upgrade. Based on my research, it looks like the only thing I need if I go the "Andream" route is this product for $259.

I see they also sell a CIC screen - is this component required if I already have a CIC screen?

Finally - with the Andream retrofit, does anyone have feedback on audio quality via Bluetooth audio (i.e. via Spotify)?

Cheers!
The latest Andream box looks like it might be identical hardware to the Carsara unit which is $50 cheaper and all of us have used recently. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...66995a4bXHu1xz

Would just get this since its a known quantity. You don't need a new screen and as per the last few pages of comments, the audio quality if you code audio via the head unit (Rather than the 3.5mm aux) is very good.
noremaC241.50
      01-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #1812
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The latest Andream box looks like it might be identical hardware to the Carsara unit which is $50 cheaper and all of us have used recently. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...66995a4bXHu1xz

Would just get this since its a known quantity. You don't need a new screen and as per the last few pages of comments, the audio quality if you code audio via the head unit (Rather than the 3.5mm aux) is very good.
Thanks for the recommendation.

"Code audio via the head unit" - what do you mean by this? I just read through the last 5 or 6 pages and saw one post using Bimmercode. Are there detailed instructions anywhere? Having a blonde moment I guess...
      01-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #1813
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
Thanks for the recommendation.

"Code audio via the head unit" - what do you mean by this? I just read through the last 5 or 6 pages and saw one post using Bimmercode. Are there detailed instructions anywhere? Having a blonde moment I guess...
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1486

Code those 3 values and instead of connecting the 3.5mm audio plug to your aux jack in your console, the head unit will automatically get audio from the quad lock connector with better sound quality.

I am debating creating a new thread that consolodates all the Carsara questions into one DIY. I think it'll make the specifics easier to find for people.
CTMike262.00
noremaC241.50
SlimE92185.50
      01-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #1814
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

Code those 3 values and instead of connecting the 3.5mm audio plug to your aux jack in your console, the head unit will automatically get audio from the quad lock connector with better sound quality.

I am debating creating a new thread that consolodates all the Carsara questions into one DIY. I think it'll make the specifics easier to find for people.
That makes the most sense to seperate this as this thread went from JoyeAuto to Kremersino to now Carsara with a few inbetweens.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #1815
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:

That makes the most sense to seperate this as this thread went from JoyeAuto to Kremersino to now Carsara with a few inbetweens.
Yeah someone who actually knows what they are talking about should make a new thread with the first post updated as new info comes out. Currently this thread is a bear if you're looking for info.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #1816
noremaC
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Feel free to share your PayPal for donations
      01-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #1817
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27087297

Done. Slow day at the office ;-)

Will work to consolidate knowledge and discussions from here into a central post with easier formatting for people to read through. For anyone who has done the install on an E93 or 6MT - would welcome any tips or tricks.
      01-08-2021, 07:21 AM   #1818
e92335drew
Rep
Drives: 335 e92

Quote:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27087297

Done. Slow day at the office ;-)

Will work to consolidate knowledge and discussions from here into a central post with easier formatting for people to read through. For anyone who has done the install on an E93 or 6MT - would welcome any tips or tricks.
Mine finally arrived after almost 2 months, so I am so pumped up to see that you did this! Thank you sir.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:20 AM   #1819
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by magungo View Post
Isn't that the radio source button? It is on my non-m E93.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:21 AM   #1820
magungo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by washere View Post
Isn't that the radio source button? It is on my non-m E93.
The right side has the input source button on top, and the air re circulation button which looks like 3 arrows going in a circle.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #1821
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Just finished Carsara install with A connected to B and iDrive harness disconnected from the iDrive controller (connected to CarPlay cable at head unit). Seemed to work initially, then started getting an intermittent CAN error and iDrive controller stops working. Anyone seen this?
Attached Images

01-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #1822
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Just finished Carsara install with A connected to B and iDrive harness disconnected from the iDrive controller (connected to CarPlay cable at head unit). Seemed to work initially, then started getting an intermittent CAN error and iDrive controller stops working. Anyone seen this?
If you're not using the IDrive cable try L# (can high) to B# instead. Make sure the terminator loop is not connected and the connectors are well seated. If it's intermittent it may just be a bad connection. Make sure no wires got pinched during reinstall.
PACarGuy679.00
      01-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #1823
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
If you're not using the IDrive cable try L# (can high) to B# instead. Make sure the terminator loop is not connected and the connectors are well seated. If it's intermittent it may just be a bad connection. Make sure no wires got pinched during reinstall.
Thanks. Will try that. I also notice the USB connection doesn't seem to work...doesn't charge and doesn't seem to recognize the connection.
      01-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #1824
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I unplugged the CIC-KT cable from L# and that solved the issue. Even though the CIC-KT was not connected to the iDrive controller, it was still causing an issue. Now the controller works.

Still can't get the USB port to recognize my phone though...will have to recheck the AV cable connection at the back of the unit.
      01-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #1825
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I unplugged the CIC-KT cable from L# and that solved the issue. Even though the CIC-KT was not connected to the iDrive controller, it was still causing an issue. Now the controller works.

Still can't get the USB port to recognize my phone though...will have to recheck the AV cable connection at the back of the unit.
Anyone get this issue when they add the Carsara box to CarPlay?
The Carsara box shows up at the bottom of the CarPlay list under "Other Cars" but never gets added to "My Cars" permanently, and I can't edit the CarPlay settings, like which apps get displayed, etc. and when I disconnect from CarPlay, the box disappears from the list until the next time I connect. It's almost like it doesn't add it correctly.
Attached Images

01-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #1826
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Anyone get this issue when they add the Carsara box to CarPlay?
The Carsara box shows up at the bottom of the CarPlay list under "Other Cars" but never gets added to "My Cars" permanently, and I can't edit the CarPlay settings, like which apps get displayed, etc. and when I disconnect from CarPlay, the box disappears from the list until the next time I connect. It's almost like it doesn't add it correctly.
So the Carplay box should show up as "GPLink" - it's weird that you're getting the Wifi ID in there also.

Do you have another device called GPLink? If you edit that device does it modify the settings properly?

If modifying GPLink doesn't work, then maybe try forgetting the device and re-pairing?

I had an issue when I tried switching to Airplay for streaming - the device didn't like switching back to Carplay after that. I think the issue stems from the device broadcasting two SSID's depending on what mode it wants to be in and the phone has trouble deciding which one is the primary.