BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
  • Mark center of spoiler with grease pencil
  • Mark center of trunk lid with grease pencil
  • Dry test fit
  • Its easier to use (2) people when doing install to line up center marks & both ends - peel off tape liner and stick down pressing firmly along for best tape adhesion. Best to do this after the car has sat out in the sun and the car/spoiler are warm (3M also makes an Adhesion Promoter, but I've never used it & had no problems)

For those that us BetaLink - hopefully you will never have to remove the spoiler to repaint - because removing parts adhered with BetaLink will damage the paint underneath

You can get the 3M Eraser Wheel here (but these are mainly used for pin stripe removal not adhesive residue):

http://www.amazon.com/3M-7498-STRIPE...m+eraser+wheel

3M also makes an aerosol adhesive residue remover that does not harm paint found here:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03618-Adhes..._bxgy_hi_img_z

I have always just used fishing line & Goo Gone with absolutely no problems or damage...
Thank you for the good tips

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I got mine on eBay. It's not that hard to line up. It's obvious where it should be on the trunk. The only part you need to worry about is making sure that it's even side to side. The performance spoiler is a touch shorter than the trunk so you just need to make sure the same amount of trunk is showing on each end.
Great to know ahead of time that the spoiler is slightly shorter than the trunk, thank you.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #25
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Bumping this and adding info for people who search.

I messed up when removing mine and didn't get very much, if any, of the pad and adhesive off with the lip spoiler. I was left with a bunch of pad and almost all the adhesive. I used a polypropylene scraper to remove the foam and then used goo gone spray gel and Mr Clean magic erasers to remove the stubborn glue adhesive. At first it didn't look like the magic erasers were doing much but over time it ate away. Took about 45 minutes to an hour.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #26
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

I cut off a spoiler (betalink) with a 2000psi electric pressure washer (15* nozzle) and it worked very well! I went back to areas where the betalink was raised and worked it until completely flat (looked like a line drawn by a marker which was covered by the replacement spoiler)

It cut through like cold butter!
      01-06-2021, 08:41 PM   #27
MBM340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 RWD

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I took mine off of my M340 tonight. Hair Dryer and Dental Floss. Then it took me about 3 hours to get off all the glue with patience and 3M Adhesive Remover which smells like finger nail polish remover....horrible but it works.
Here are some pics.
Attached Images