BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #23
UBERV8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 MW E92 M3

I know our precious S65's can be a bit fragile, but you guys are overdoing it. Idling beyond cold start is not really doing any help and is actually just wasteful. You need to actually get the car moving to get fluids going and warmed up. Of course, still keep the rev's low, but these aren't classic cars with carburetors and whatnot.

If you live in the snow states, than I can't really speak on that.
Appreciate 1
CHSe92251.50
      01-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #24
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Amazing! I am not being sarcastic either. I will use WPC again for sure. I can't find my first removed set of OE but these were my WPC's. There is scotch tape holding them together. Believe it or not these have over 100,000 and they looked waaaay better than originals removed from factory and those only had 40,000. I cannot find my original factory ones to add a pic. I'll try and find them.
Those are really bad... I would not use oem or Wpc.
Not really. My Originals with only 40,000 looked way worse. These look like a better even wear. The OG's had bad wear on some.
      01-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #25
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Quote:
Not really. My Originals with only 40,000 looked way worse. These look like a better even wear. The OG's had bad wear on some.
No really they look bad. This forum has a perspective issue that comes from owners of expensive German cars that have no experience with hands on work. Bearings are not wear items and should not show that amount of it. The entire idea of a bearing is that it is a highly measured part that creates a very specific clearance between metal parts so they never contact each other. That amount of bearing wear demonstrates otherwise.
      01-10-2021, 11:36 PM   #26
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossypiboma View Post
Quote:
No really they look bad. This forum has a perspective issue that comes from owners of expensive German cars that have no experience with hands on work. Bearings are not wear items and should not show that amount of it. The entire idea of a bearing is that it is a highly measured part that creates a very specific clearance between metal parts so they never contact each other. That amount of bearing wear demonstrates otherwise.
I've been told this. However the 3 motors I've opened showed wear. (1) Ford, (1) Toyota and my M3. The M3 did look worse than the others but the S65 revs 3k higher than the other two V8's. Another motor known to eat RB's is the 5.2L current Mustang which only hits 7.3k limit. It's a cross plane crank so that makes more sense. I understand these motors are not apples to apples comparisons to each other but the two higher revving motors have RB problems. So to expect no wear is pissing in the wind but that is only my opinion based on my very small limited experience. I am not a motor builder or mechanic. I'm just an electrical engineer who likes cars and tinkering.
      01-11-2021, 12:55 AM   #27
Matthew III
Smooth Operator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
what Uber said..you don't need to let idle before driving. the manual states you simply drive after starting and avoid high rpms until temp. otherwise it's a waste of gas and you risk inhaling all that pollution
Appreciate 2
UBERV8528.00
astris612.00
      01-11-2021, 04:07 AM   #28
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I've been told this. However the 3 motors I've opened showed wear. (1) Ford, (1) Toyota and my M3. The M3 did look worse than the others but the S65 revs 3k higher than the other two V8's. Another motor known to eat RB's is the 5.2L current Mustang which only hits 7.3k limit. It's a cross plane crank so that makes more sense. I understand these motors are not apples to apples comparisons to each other but the two higher revving motors have RB problems. So to expect no wear is pissing in the wind but that is only my opinion based on my very small limited experience. I am not a motor builder or mechanic. I'm just an electrical engineer who likes cars and tinkering.
Opened and assumingly put together three engines sounds like a fair bit of experience and more than most of the rest of us...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:25 AM   #29
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Opened and assumingly put together three engines sounds like a fair bit of experience and more than most of the rest of us...
I'm sure other folks know better than me. Refreshing parts on or in a motor isn't really that big of a deal. Besides I don't care who is right or wrong but I've never seen perfect con rod bearings in my experience but a few motors of experience isn't much.