BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-13-2020, 01:36 AM   #23
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Someone needs to come up with a replacement that doesn't use Aux-In. That really ruins the audio quality.

What is the use of all these fancy headunit if it sounds like crap? After all, the main use of an audio system is audio.
      12-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #24
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
That is awesome. Thank you so much for posting this!

Can you still use the iDrive knob to control it?

Can you access your other car settings through it?

Also, how quickly is it possible to switch back to the classic view?
Pressing Menu for two seconds brings you back to factory iDrive. The iDrive knob maintains it functionality.

Last edited by InnerBlueSkies; 12-14-2020 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #25
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_M3 View Post
I did the andream mmi option for my cic. I'm so happy with it and honestly wish I would have done it sooner . Another company sells the same box but rebranded for several hundred more . This was an awesome investment and I had great tech support . [IMG][/IMG]
Product link to this? How's the audio quality? Have CIC (2009 sedan) but an earlier version so no Bluetooth audio.
      12-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #26
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Someone needs to come up with a replacement that doesn't use Aux-In. That really ruins the audio quality.

What is the use of all these fancy headunit if it sounds like crap? After all, the main use of an audio system is audio.
Agreed. Someone should be able to integrate audio using the MOST bus, they already have bluetooth adapters that can do that. I think it emulates a CD changer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A2DP-Handsfree-USB-Adapter-BMW-E60-E61-E63-E64-E70-E71-i-Drive-CCC-/113866706716?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

If any of those carplay units did that, it would be ideal of SQ.
Appreciate 1
Z K1888.50
      12-20-2020, 12:46 AM   #27
Sly_M3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Melbourne Red

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/coll...ew-bmcp-nbt01a

There is the link to the one I got . Yes it uses the Aux but the Audio is surprisingly good in my opinion . It's better than listening to the radio so I'm happy
Attached Images

12-20-2020, 01:29 AM   #28
CTMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i MSport/2011 E93 M3

If anyone wants the NBT (not EVO) unit from my F31, shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Could a DAC be used to improve the audio?
      12-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #30
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
There's a whole thread addressing a lot of these points. Doesn't make sense to repeat a lot of it here.

The Carsara unit with aux coming direct from the harness is going to give you as good as you can get.

People calling it crappy have either not used or used earlier versions of these units.

Also for those saying "why make the audio worse that's the only point" sorry but I disagree. I want to be able to respond to texts handsfree, use Waze to spot police officers, and supplement the 10 year old navigation tech. I'm half deaf and this car is noisy as heck. The only way for the audio to sound good is with levels so loud I can't hear the engine.
Ajolives922.00
      12-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #31
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I think the sound is fine on my Andream CCC unit. My system is early E90 HiFi so maybe my standards are low.

I have 3 complaints. First, the adapter harness was an exceptionally tight fit -- another 2 inches would have been great. Second, the glare is terrible, making it almost unuseable in daytime. I cut a piece of antiglare shield meant for a tablet and hope that helps -- will be driving it tomorrow in the day. Third, the backup camera lines seem too big and get in the way more than they help. Maybe there is a way to adjust that.

What I like is seamless wireless Apple Carplay, the higher resolution screen, and the apparently improved built in microphone. To me, this unit is a dramatic leap forward in usefulness and technology at a bargain price.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #32
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I think the sound is fine on my Andream CCC unit. My system is early E90 HiFi so maybe my standards are low.

I have 3 complaints. First, the adapter harness was an exceptionally tight fit -- another 2 inches would have been great. Second, the glare is terrible, making it almost unuseable in daytime. I cut a piece of antiglare shield meant for a tablet and hope that helps -- will be driving it tomorrow in the day. Third, the backup camera lines seem too big and get in the way more than they help. Maybe there is a way to adjust that.

What I like is seamless wireless Apple Carplay, the higher resolution screen, and the apparently improved built in microphone. To me, this unit is a dramatic leap forward in usefulness and technology at a bargain price.
I also have the base HiFi (option 676) in my 08'. There must be a difference between CCC AUX and CIC AUX. The Andream unit sounds great playing audio through CCC AUX. So much so that I might not get the MATCH UP 7BMW amp.

My main complaint at the moment is that when I hit the voice command button on the steering wheel, it triggers the car's voice command along with Siri. I have not found any way to disable the car's voice command so that only Siri comes on when I hit the button. Apparently this is an issue on all aftermarket units.

The backup camera lines are useless, I disabled them but left the PDC graphic on for now. The trunk release handle leaves a lot to be desired, the rubber around the plastic is loose fitting and doesn't look like it will prevent water from getting into the trunk. I was in a hurry to get it working so I installed it as is, but will probably take it back out when time permits to glue the rubber and plastic together and figure out a way to make it seal better around the trunk. The rubber is also attracting a lot of dirt.

But overall, I think this unit is the best/easiest solution for people with CCC who want CarPlay functionality. I get in the car, the unit connects to my phone and starts wireless CarPlay automatically, couldn't get much simpler than that. Best $295 spent.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #33
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I noticed that about the camera trunk handle also. Plus the Andream camera RCA plug was too big for me to get through the accordian rubber wiring tube into the trunk lid. My accordian was already split nearly in two, so I went outside of the accordian. I think there are other cameras that use a smaller connector that does fit, but it makes no sense for me to switch since I have a split accordian tube that cannot be easily replaced. For others, it may make sense to buy a different camera.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:36 AM   #34
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I noticed that about the camera trunk handle also. Plus the Andream camera RCA plug was too big for me to get through the accordian rubber wiring tube into the trunk lid. My accordian was already split nearly in two, so I went outside of the accordian. I think there are other cameras that use a smaller connector that does fit, but it makes no sense for me to switch since I have a split accordian tube that cannot be easily replaced. For others, it may make sense to buy a different camera.
LOL, funny you should mention the accordian. Mine is not split and is strong af, I tried fishing the RCA cable through it with a hanger, the RCA plug got stuck halfway and then the cable snapped. It took me about an hours to slowly work the RCA plug through with my fingers from the outside. If I had a time machine, I would just cut the wire, shove it through and then splice it back together.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #35
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Quote:
LOL, funny you should mention the accordian. Mine is not split and is strong af, I tried fishing the RCA cable through it with a hanger, the RCA plug got stuck halfway and then the cable snapped. It took me about an hours to slowly work the RCA plug through with my fingers from the outside. If I had a time machine, I would just cut the wire, shove it through and then splice it back together.
RCA cables are shielded so splicing isn't really an easy option without risking interference issues.

I got the RCA cable through the rubber accordion pretty easy using a wire fish, Vaseline and pulling the rubber ribs slowly one by one over the rca plug (like a condom for lack of a better metaphor) - didn't actually take that long this way. I slightly bent the shield on the RCA connector this way which may have been why I made it through easier but it bent back fine on the other end.

Most of the other cameras now use the smaller 4 pin mini connector which should go right through. Routing the wire outside of the shield just means you're introducing a hole for leaks.
      12-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #36
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
There's a whole thread addressing a lot of these points. Doesn't make sense to repeat a lot of it here.

The Carsara unit with aux coming direct from the harness is going to give you as good as you can get.

People calling it crappy have either not used or used earlier versions of these units.

Also for those saying "why make the audio worse that's the only point" sorry but I disagree. I want to be able to respond to texts handsfree, use Waze to spot police officers, and supplement the 10 year old navigation tech. I'm half deaf and this car is noisy as heck. The only way for the audio to sound good is with levels so loud I can't hear the engine.
Using AUX input in any fashion will cause an audio quality reduction vs native sound from the head unit. This is indisputable. It may not matter to you, but it matters to others.

I will not be touching any sort of retrofit until someone can make it work without using bluetooth or AUX input.

The reality is once that happens, the existing units on the market will be considered junk.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #37
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post

My wife is also half deaf and she can't hear a damn thing in my car with all the noises it makes
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:54 PM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

My wife complains about my loud exhaust and the diff whine from the 95A diff bushings.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 09:25 PM   #39
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Quote:

Using AUX input in any fashion will cause an audio quality reduction vs native sound from the head unit. This is indisputable. It may not matter to you, but it matters to others.

I will not be touching any sort of retrofit until someone can make it work without using bluetooth or AUX input.

The reality is once that happens, the existing units on the market will be considered junk.
Realize this platform is going on 12 years old, if there was an alternative to a two pin analog audio signal someone would have done it by now.

If the audio quality is your main concern then these modules won't ever be for you. A sleeve full of CDs or USB stick can continue to please you. But it just seems silly in a car so noisy to try to be an audiophile.

Calling these "junk" without first hand listening to it is also heavily biased. Early units seemed to have issues but I started EQing some music against CDs I have laying around and it's more an issue of getting the EQ settings to where you like them vs out of the box. Everyone's ears are different.
      12-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #40
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

If sound quality is of utmost importance you should be driving a Lexus, not an M3. These Android units do not get rid of the audio in your original CCC/CIC. So yes, while Aux/BT will never sound as good as digital audio, the original digital audio is still there for you to enjoy. At the same time you can now run Waze/GMaps and all Android apps on the iDrive screen. You really don't need to give up anything.
Appreciate 2
Cyberdemon1537.50
JJH543.50
      01-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #41
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
If sound quality is of utmost importance you should be driving a Lexus, not an M3. These Android units do not get rid of the audio in your original CCC/CIC. So yes, while Aux/BT will never sound as good as digital audio, the original digital audio is still there for you to enjoy. At the same time you can now run Waze/GMaps and all Android apps on the iDrive screen. You really don't need to give up anything.
Exactly. Unless you're talking about the units that completely replace the CCC systems, this just adds functionality without giving up anything. If you don't like streaming audio just save your CD as a preset and on you go. I just can't imagine downloading music onto a flash drive in 2021 when the entire world is a search away and you can stream at 320kbps.
      01-16-2021, 09:34 PM   #42
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Aux-In and bluetooth are two different things and they're not the same.

Bluetooth straight into the MOST system fed to the amp digitally sounds fine as it is doing a digital to analog conversion once in the BMW system.

When you're doing a digital to analog then an analog to digital conversion via aux-in, then you're degrading the sound twice by converting the same sound over and over.

My M3 is a weekend car. I have all the latest audio tech and interface in my other car. I just want the M3 to have good audio when I go for a fun run or track day. The M3's EPS audio easily blows away the Harmon Kardon audio system in my F30 daily.
      01-17-2021, 02:33 PM   #43
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Given that technology has come a long way in recent years, wondering what options have evolved to upgrade our Navi units?

I know some people have upgraded to NBT, but I heard there are still quirks with this, as well as quite expensive to complete the upgrade.

There is also Bimmertech MMI Prime ($650), which allows Carplay and a bunch of features, as well as a rear camera option.

What has everyone done?

NBT is a task intensive. It involves a lot and costs at a minimum $2000 just for the correct parts.

If you have a CCC unit, your screen is not high resolution and one of those android headunits that replaces the screen is an ideal candidate for you.

If you have CIC unit, as others have said here, there are Apple car play modules that can be installed inline to utilized the screen and take over the idrive controller for Apple Car play and various other features these modules have.

IIRC, both the android screen units and the ACP modules will all still use AUX input on your car so your audio may vary. I personally believe having ACP with okay audio was better than no ACP at all.

Any update that allows for Apple Carplay or Android Auto will modernized that screen.

It's possible to code the car so it takes the aux from rear of head unit quadlock and apparently improved sound over arm rest aux. Sounds good to me on my basic audio speakers.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #44
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Given that technology has come a long way in recent years, wondering what options have evolved to upgrade our Navi units?

I know some people have upgraded to NBT, but I heard there are still quirks with this, as well as quite expensive to complete the upgrade.

There is also Bimmertech MMI Prime ($650), which allows Carplay and a bunch of features, as well as a rear camera option.

What has everyone done?
There is a big thread about these units in the coding/nav section of forum.
Appreciate 0