BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

10-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #111
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Just checked the dyno database and found two Harrops in there at 492 and 493 rwhp on dynojet SAE correction. You used STD correction which is about 3% lower still so something isn't quite right with the install I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #112
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
Just checked the dyno database and found two Harrops in there at 492 and 493 rwhp on dynojet SAE correction. You used STD correction which is about 3% lower still so something isn't quite right with the install I think.
The dyno result is probably typical for this set up because of no air flow during the dyno will result in a lot of hot air getting pulled in and impacts the final result. After driving the car for the first time, the power is there and its impressive. Total control when driving normally and easy to drive hard despite the extra power. It starts to really scream at 3k rpm. I chirped the tires going into third which was impressive. And the whine is something else. You can't hide that there is something wicked under the hood. As soon as you hit 2500rpm, it sounds like a fire engine siren winding up ;-). Its actually louder than my exhaust now and its a head turner around town.

Ill take some time to drive the car and write up my thoughts. Im taking a long drive up north next week. But after my first drive, I think im in love ;-)

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 10-17-2016 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #113
332ijunkie
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 87 M52 E30, M52 E36

We're installing a setup here in atlanta. Will show pre/post Dynos as well, have also dynoed multiple other SC s65s on this same Dyno so curious how the harrop will compare.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #114
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
The dyno result is probably typical for this set up because of no air flow during the dyno will result in a lot of hot air getting pulled in and impacts the final result. After driving the car for the first time, the power is there and its impressive. Total control when driving normally and easy to drive hard despite the extra power. It starts to really scream at 3k rpm. I chirped the tires going into third which was impressive. And the whine is something else. You can't hide that there is something wicked under the hood. As soon as you hit 2500rpm, it sounds like a fire engine siren winding up ;-). Its actually louder than my exhaust now and its a head turner around town.

Ill take some time to drive the car and write up my thoughts. Im taking a long drive up north next week. But after my first drive, I think im in love ;-)
Wow that is exciting to here. I'd prefer more a sleeper but hey, if you got the grunt to backup the advertisement then grunt on!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #115
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I installed my Harrop kit this last weekend. The install was very straightforward. The little details on the fit/finish of this kit are outstanding, very OEM like.

Did a baseline dyno session the day before the install, and I will head back to the dyno next week after the DME gets some time to adapt. All stock E90 M3 minus Harrop kit w/BPM Harrop tune, K&N filter and Megan rear section.

This kit really transforms the car, it is a whole new driving experience.
      10-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #116
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hagen View Post
I installed my Harrop kit this last weekend. The install was very straightforward. The little details on the fit/finish of this kit are outstanding, very OEM like.

Did a baseline dyno session the day before the install, and I will head back to the dyno next week after the DME gets some time to adapt. All stock E90 M3 minus Harrop kit w/BPM Harrop tune, K&N filter and Megan rear section.

This kit really transforms the car, it is a whole new driving experience.
I agree on how it transforms the car! One thing I really like is how I don't need to redline the car to get it moving. Im running the car between 4-7k rpm and getting everything I need from that RPM range on the street. One thing I am adjusting to is the whine with my kn filter/custom airbox vs the stock airbox and filter in a vert. Its very loud and impossible to hide you have an SC over 2k rpm. I may try to switch back to a standard airbox to see if it quiets the noise down a bit. But thats a characteristic of PD SCs. And I am starting to think its also part of the fun.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 10-19-2016 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #117
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 332ijunkie View Post
We're installing a setup here in atlanta. Will show pre/post Dynos as well, have also dynoed multiple other SC s65s on this same Dyno so curious how the harrop will compare.
That would be great. Be sure to log your dyno results. We logged mine.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #118
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree on how it transforms the car! One thing I really like is how I don't need to redline the car to get it moving. Im running the car between 4-7k rpm and getting everything I need from that RPM range on the street. One thing I am adjusting to is the whine with my kn filter/custom airbox vs the stock airbox and filter in a vert. Its very loud and impossible to hide you have an SC over 2k rpm. I may try to switch back to a standard airbox to see if it quiets the noise down a bit. But thats a characteristic of PD SCs. And I am starting to think its also part of the fun.
I've learned that it is a characteristic of PD SCs. Some folks love it alot more than other folks. Please let us know how you adjust and the reactions you get. If I (as a spectator) heard a car like that (especially an M3) I'd think 'damn that's brutal".

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #119
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
Honestly that whine is one of that reasons I'd want this kit.
Appreciate 1
Bx Tpr122.50
      10-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #120
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 alpine white/fox red

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
I have the same system and the stock airbox does not make it any quieter!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #121
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick//M3
Quote:
The carbon intake manufacturer Eventuri is supposedly going to develop one for our platform in 2017. I wonder if it's possible to mate their intake to the Harrop kit. That would be my top choice.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #122
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick//M3
Quote:
The carbon intake manufacturer Eventuri is supposedly going to develop one for our platform in 2017. I wonder if it's possible to mate their intake to the Harrop kit. That would be my top choice.
I don't think it will make a difference the wine will still be loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #123
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Cars that come from the factory with a roots supercharger usually have a resonance tube attached to the intake between the supercharger and the air box to cancel the whine of the supercharger. My previous car, a 2009 CTS-V, had one and there was no audible whine heard in the car at all. Once I replaced the factory intake with an aftermarket one that did not have a resonance tube, the whine was very prominate.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #124
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Cars that come from the factory with a roots supercharger usually have a resonance tube attached to the intake between the supercharger and the air box to cancel the whine of the supercharger. My previous car, a 2009 CTS-V, had one and there was no audible whine heard in the car at all. Once I replaced the factory intake with an aftermarket one that did not have a resonance tube, the whine was very prominate.
Thats interesting! I wonder if that is easily custom made for the M3 or if anyone makes an aftermarket one?

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #125
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Thats interesting! I wonder if that is easily custom made for the M3 or if anyone makes an aftermarket one?
Let's hope Harrop chimes in when they become aware of these questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #126
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Lol. The whine is a big selling point to me.......
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #127
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA
Me too. I'm hoping a cone intake just has more induction noise too lol
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 12:24 AM   #128
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
I'm definitely getting old.
Appreciate 1
KawBoy154.50
      10-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #129
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
I have one. Plus a meister schaft exhaust. It is quite loud now and to add the SC whine would be over the top. And amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #130
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA
Quote:
I have one. Plus a meister schaft exhaust. It is quite loud now and to add the SC whine would be over the top. And amazing.
Which cone intake do you have? I have Stage 2 MS, doesn't really make any noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #131
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which cone intake do you have? I have Stage 2 MS, doesn't really make any noise.
Same. But I have a CF hood with louvers directly above.

Honestly the exhaust is so loud the intake doesn't add much
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #132
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
Quote:
Same. But I have a CF hood with louvers directly above.

Honestly the exhaust is so loud the intake doesn't add much
What exhaust setup do you currently run?
Appreciate 0