BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #265
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
This is not a kit for a sleeper car thats for sure. Its a kit that has the bite to back up the bark. You are either into that, or you are not. Choice is yours!

I was initially startled by the intake noise. Now I love it. Its what makes this kit different and fun. Its funny as most of the M3 enthusiasts have no problem putting a loud exhaust on but when induction noise comes up it scares people off.
I am really not into that kind of noise. I have Akra Evo, so I cant say my car is a sleeper, even though the Akra is very quiet. But one sound is very different than the other. To me, Akra's is very pleasant. Harrop's, judging by the clips on YouTube, isn't. It isn't just because it is too loud. This is subjective of course and I am yet to make a more educated opinion since I have not seen the Harrop in person. My opinion could change entirely if I have a chance to get a ride on a Harrop equipped car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #266
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
Quote:
This is not a kit for a sleeper car thats for sure. Its a kit that has the bite to back up the bark. You are either into that, or you are not. Choice is yours!

I was initially startled by the intake noise. Now I love it. Its what makes this kit different and fun. Its funny as most of the M3 enthusiasts have no problem putting a loud exhaust on but when induction noise comes up it scares people off.
I am really not into that kind of noise. I have Akra Evo, so I cant say my car is a sleeper, even though the Akra is very quiet. But one sound is very different than the other. To me, Akra's is very pleasant. Harrop's, judging by the clips on YouTube, isn't. It isn't just because it is too loud. This is subjective of course and I am yet to make a more educated opinion since I have not seen the Harrop in person. My opinion could change entirely if I have a chance to get a ride on a Harrop equipped car.
I like it elegant. For some reason I feel that kind of constant always on and in your face noise is more suitable for Mitsubishi, Subaru, Mustang or Camaro types that boy racer persona love.

But for the Porsche, Audio, CTS-V, Mercedes etc crowd minus the boy racers who have money,, I tend to feel are more grown up and prefer to keep it elegant. It can be louder and elegant as well, but seriously. Swagger is not relevant to everyone.

However if it wasn't my daily driver, I'd consider it but again I would still like to dust a g35 and get some respect rather than a dismissal.

I think Harrop should know that there are some among us that want the kind of power they bring but are also over the age 40. Don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome to be older and still have that expressive youthful nature. But when I was in my 20 and early 30s, I was still putting money into making my 1998 Mercury Cougar badass. Swapped the engine, auto to 5-speed conversion. It was all good till one night I was leaving a club and feeling like the shit and next to me was an bro in his Mercedes. We pulled off and boom, he silently dusted me and I shrunk and immediately it changed my life.

I'm sorry and don't mean to offend, but just writing this brought back some memories. Youth forever whether loud and crazy or elegant and refined, I love it all!
Appreciate 2
KawBoy154.50
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      03-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #267
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
I like it elegant. For some reason I feel that kind of constant always on and in your face noise is more suitable for Mitsubishi, Subaru, Mustang or Camaro types that boy racer persona love.

But for the Porsche, Audio, CTS-V, Mercedes etc crowd minus the boy racers who have money,, I tend to feel are more grown up and prefer to keep it elegant. It can be louder and elegant as well, but seriously. Swagger is not relevant to everyone.

However if it wasn't my daily driver, I'd consider it but again I would still like to dust a g35 and get some respect rather than a dismissal.

I think Harrop should know that there are some among us that want the kind of power they bring but are also over the age 40. Don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome to be older and still have that expressive youthful nature. But when I was in my 20 and early 30s, I was still putting money into making my 1998 Mercury Cougar badass. Swapped the engine, auto to 5-speed conversion. It was all good till one night I was leaving a club and feeling like the shit and next to me was an bro in his Mercedes. We pulled off and boom, he silently dusted me and I shrunk and immediately it changed my life.

I'm sorry and don't mean to offend, but just writing this brought back some memories. Youth forever whether loud and crazy or elegant and refined, I love it all!
This. I make your words mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #268
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep

Does this kit have the pulley closer to the rest of the pulleys than the centrifugal designs? I bought my car with full intentions of SCing it but after reading about main bearing problems from the belt pulling on the front of the motor I think I'm going to hold off unless I can find a better design or someone creates a fix for the problem. Would be awesome if this design has that fix already built into it but from the pictures it seems like this one sticks out as much as the others? Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #269
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbunny
Does this kit have the pulley closer to the rest of the pulleys than the centrifugal designs? I bought my car with full intentions of SCing it but after reading about main bearing problems from the belt pulling on the front of the motor I think I'm going to hold off unless I can find a better design or someone creates a fix for the problem. Would be awesome if this design has that fix already built into it but from the pictures it seems like this one sticks out as much as the others? Thanks all!
Let's keep in mind that there are thousands of supercharger kits out there, hundreds of which are registered on this forum and of those we know of a few, maybe three or four main bearing failures. That means that most cars with a supercharger, no matter the brand, design, excetera, don't have catastrophic main bearing failure. It's certainly a risk, but probably not a huge one on this stage one Harrop. Youve got to keep in mind how you drive the car too. If you mash on it everyday with a super charger it will die sooner than if you drive it gingerly with some aggressive driving occasionally.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 1
Datka450.00
      03-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #270
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbunny View Post
I think the pulley doesn't stick out as far.
Which theoretically should put less stress on the main bearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #271
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
The Harrop kit replaces one of the two serpentine belts with a longer one that wraps around the SC snout. It does not change the crank pulley.

There is extra drag on the crank/engine (as with every supercharger), but the added length to the belt does not increase the moment on the crankshaft.
      03-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #272
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
I read that this kit uses the main belt system so it should be inline with the existing accessories.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #273
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Hagen View Post
The Harrop kit replaces one of the two serpentine belts with a longer one that wraps around the SC snout. It does not change the crank pulley.

There is extra drag on the crank/engine (as with every supercharger), but the added length to the belt does not increase the moment on the crankshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
I read that this kit uses the main belt system so it should be inline with the existing accessories.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I know a SC will put more strain on an engine but if designed properly it should only be adding the additional stress of the additional HP not pulling on the crank and making our bearing problems worse than they area already stock. Keeping the belt where it should be seems like a good enough reason to pony up the extra money for this kit over the others even if ignoring all the other benefits of this kit I don't know if it will really help anything over the other kits when it comes to load on the main bearing 1 but it will at least make me feel better

Last edited by deathbunny; 03-22-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #274
Pro-AM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Its been a few YEARS people, 1- they have 0 desire to revamp the system for less noise
2- there is no stage II in development/on the way/ more than a passing thought through 1 of harrops employee's heads
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #275
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-AM3 View Post
Its been a few YEARS people, 1- they have 0 desire to revamp the system for less noise
2- there is no stage II in development/on the way/ more than a passing thought through 1 of harrops employee's heads
I believe you are right. However, if it is indeed true, I wonder why Mike would have made this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's coming.
I am sure he would know if something new would come out. It would be nice to have a definite answer on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #276
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The Harrop stuff has been extremely slow to come to market but it also seems to be pretty well done. Since they can use the bypass valve to control boost, they can add 2 psi peak but not midrange to protect the engine from risk of detonation on pump gas or rod bending on pump plus meth or E85. This could give the Harrop more power and torque at low to.midrange than a centrifugal and the same peak power and torque at high rpm. But they need testing under a variety of conditions before releasing to market. My guess is they are doing this testing right now on 91 and 93 and maybe 95 (available in some markets).

I wish they would do a meth injection version or an E85 mix version but those depend on user vigilance and no manufacturer wants to count on users.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #277
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

That's my impression as well, that they are very well done. I particularly like the fact that very few modifications are necessary for it's installation. I'd like to see a little more power though. And of course I'd love to see one in person.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #278
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Does anyone know how the electric bypass valve is controlled and what car sensors it's reading presumably from the CAN bus?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #279
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The Harrop stuff has been extremely slow to come to market but it also seems to be pretty well done. Since they can use the bypass valve to control boost, they can add 2 psi peak but not midrange to protect the engine from risk of detonation on pump gas or rod bending on pump plus meth or E85. This could give the Harrop more power and torque at low to.midrange than a centrifugal and the same peak power and torque at high rpm. But they need testing under a variety of conditions before releasing to market.
sounds pretty neat. if you changed the main pulley , would the tune and bypass regulate the flow regardless of the pulley change?

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      03-30-2017, 11:04 AM   #280
M3sicko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's coming.

Mike, it's been years of waiting for some here, you think you could give us a more solid input on the ETA?

I had a 625 kit that i ran a couple of years and it dyno'd at around 570whp, so i can't imagine myself going for anything less powerful.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #281
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sicko View Post
Mike, it's been years of waiting for some here, you think you could give us a more solid input on the ETA?

I had a 625 kit that i ran a couple of years and it dyno'd at around 570whp, so i can't imagine myself going for anything less powerful.
THIS!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #282
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
Just had a customer ship his car all the way from Washington down to Los Angeles. We also had a local customer and friend stop by to check out his Harrop Supercharged Imola Red twin!

Needless to say, Imola Red looks stunning!

Here are additional pictures:

Whose car is that?
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #283
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sicko View Post

Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #284
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Guys, Mike doesnt work for Harrop. If you have questions about stage 2, you can certainly ask Harrop directly. They are responsive by e mail. I can tell you I cant use all the power in the stage one in a street car so I dont think I would jump on the stage 2 if it was available. If you don't have a stage one in the first place, start there for crying out loud...:-)

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #285
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Guys, Mike doesnt work for Harrop. If you have questions about stage 2, you can certainly ask Harrop directly. They are responsive by e mail. I can tell you I cant use all the power in the stage one in a street car so I dont think I would jump on the stage 2 if it was available. If you don't have a stage one in the first place, start there for crying out loud...:-)
I've talked to Harrop recently and they have told me Stage 2 is in the testing phases. And I would agree on getting Stage 1 before Stage 2. Good to see how the power feels, then upgrade to Stage 2 hardware and software if desired, that's what I'm hoping to do.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #286
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
Quote:
I've talked to Harrop recently and they have told me Stage 2 is in the testing phases. And I would agree on getting Stage 1 before Stage 2. Good to see how the power feels, then upgrade to Stage 2 hardware and software if desired, that's what I'm hoping to do.
Without knowing what changes the stage 2 will have, I am hoping the siren-like sound will be addressed. The siren sound is why stage 1 is not an option.
Appreciate 1
oolas3388.00