BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

01-06-2018, 06:23 AM   #1
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Liqui Moly MoS2 oil additive

Just a quick question, is it OK to add it to oil that has been run for about 4k miles already? Or should it be always added to new oil? I am running LM 10W60.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Sure but when you drain that oil in another 2000 miles you drain most of the moly.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

That's no problem, this thing is pretty cheap.
Thank you for the information, I'll be adding it next week
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by seevin View Post
Just a quick question, is it OK to add it to oil that has been run for about 4k miles already? Or should it be always added to new oil? I am running LM 10W60.
Don't do it , stop using crap !
And your Liqui Moly oil really s@cks for our S65 engines => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404625

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Yeah, I've seen it. To me it looks just like one case that became a bit overhyped. Can't find any input on this additive there though.
Anyway, my engine runs quiet and does not show any signs noted in this thread. It doesn't get too much heat with this oil (the operating temp is about 1-2mm below 210F), which I think is also good. I have seen MRF put the LM oil in many of the cars they serviced and haven't seen any bad experience shared by them.
Also, take a look here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1218175
The last chart compares viscosity of the LM and TWS. The LM oil is much less viscous in the lower temperatures, which I think is beneficial. On the other hand, it gets more viscous at 90-100 C temps, but still that's just by about 5%.
Is there anything wrong with the additive?

Not a Liqui Moly fanboy, and to be honest I still haven't decided which oil to put for the next change. I will be doing rod bearings then too, so I will probably ask at the workshop for their opinion.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I use ceratec as well as m0s2. Great stuff.

I put ceratec in my gas edger and it really smoothed it out and it runs stronger and at a higher rpm. Serious.
      01-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
strokemycocktus
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

I put ceratec in my gas edger and it really smoothed it out and it runs stronger and at a higher rpm. Serious.
LOL maybe it adds like 3-4 hp to the S65 too haha
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #8
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:

Liquimoly doesn't recommend mixing both. I asked them if it was safe to use MOS2 + Ceratec and they said, only use 1 during each time.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:38 AM   #9
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seevin View Post
Yeah, I've seen it. To me it looks just like one case that became a bit overhyped. Can't find any input on this additive there though.
Anyway, my engine runs quiet and does not show any signs noted in this thread. It doesn't get too much heat with this oil (the operating temp is about 1-2mm below 210F), which I think is also good. I have seen MRF put the LM oil in many of the cars they serviced and haven't seen any bad experience shared by them.
Also, take a look here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1218175
The last chart compares viscosity of the LM and TWS. The LM oil is much less viscous in the lower temperatures, which I think is beneficial. On the other hand, it gets more viscous at 90-100 C temps, but still that's just by about 5%.
Is there anything wrong with the additive?

Not a Liqui Moly fanboy, and to be honest I still haven't decided which oil to put for the next change. I will be doing rod bearings then too, so I will probably ask at the workshop for their opinion.
I've been running LM 10w60 + Molyslip *MOS2* throughout this winter and I do not notice any weird noises either!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Liquimoly doesn't recommend mixing both. I asked them if it was safe to use MOS2 + Ceratec and they said, only use 1 during each time.
right. i should have been more specific. i have used ceratec, which is more of a treatment that has a lasting effect. when i'm not using ceratec treatment, i include m0s2 in my oil changes.
      01-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #11
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
right. i should have been more specific. i have used ceratec, which is more of a treatment that has a lasting effect. when i'm not using ceratec treatment, i include m0s2 in my oil changes.
Correct, this is the right way to do it! I'm doing that also.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2425.50
      01-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
M43S7RO
Major
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E92 M3

How do your cycle it?

Quote:
      01-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Correct, this is the right way to do it! I'm doing that also.
Interesting; I had never considered doing this.....

I like the idea but I'm just not comfortable NOT running m0s2 at the track.
My mileage so low that I'd have to run 4 events before changing.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

2 cans of Molyslip for me at every oil change.
      01-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #15
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
How do your cycle it?

Quote:
About every third/fourth (whatever you want to call it) oil change. This was the plan, anyways. I had my rod bearings done last October and I considered that to reset my clock.
I ended up doing three track days on the fresh oil and bearings right out of the gate... so now it's time for more ceratec this next oil change. Then I'll change it three times while using mos2, and the fourth time will include ceratec.
They say it's good for 50,000 miles, but if I took my oil changes to 15k like Bmw says, it would probably be 45,000 miles. I change the oil every three track days. Since I sort of equate the oil change to that amount of longevity, that's just how often I use the ceratec. It's just my ocd way of doing things that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
      01-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #16
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
And your Liqui Moly oil really s@cks for our S65 engines => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404625
The problem with the Liqui Moly 10w60 oil is that it is too high viscosity for the S65. Maybe a LM 5w50 would work better? You're better off running the OEM Castrol or Shell.

The additive they sell is not the same as the motor oil. I've been running Ceratec and I don't notice any difference. But no adverse effects either.
      01-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The problem with the Liqui Moly 10w60 oil is that it is too high viscosity for the S65. Maybe a LM 5w50 would work better? You're better off running the OEM Castrol or Shell.

The additive they sell is not the same as the motor oil. I've been running Ceratec and I don't notice any difference. But no adverse effects either.
You say you feel no difference, but there is a difference!

I've used Ceratec in 3 of my past cars, all ran smoother up top in higher RPMs. No adverse effects!

A friend of mine bought a brand new 2018 Subaru STI. Right after he broke-in the car, he took it to the track for a few laps. He flushed the oil and, topped it up with new oil and Ceratec. He said his engine ran a lot smoother on the track the next time he went and highly recommends it.

Also a friend of mine with a similar mileage M3 said my M3 with Ceratec ran smoother and "feels faster" than his throughout the middle/high RPM end. Note we were both stock at the time and also on Michelin PSS!

Sure there is no physical evidence of what Ceratec does to our engines but I can say I do feel a difference and don't mind spending the $20/per bottle for it.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

We use them in every M oil change and any other customer who wants it!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #19
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
That thread does not seem conclusive at all. I wouldn't go around spreading that as fact.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Does ceratec add a layer that would further decrease bearing clearance on OEM bearings? MoS2 seems simple enough so I'm not sold on the advantage of ceratec other than less frequent use required.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #21
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Does ceratec add a layer that would further decrease bearing clearance on OEM bearings? MoS2 seems simple enough so I'm not sold on the advantage of ceratec other than less frequent use required.
Here is what Liqui-Moly has said on its mechanism of action:

CERA TEC
Motor oil additive
With high-tech ceramic anti-wear protection

How does CERA TEC work?
The graphite-like structure of the ceramic particles enables them to fill in the roughness present in the metal, thereby preventing direct metal-on-metal contact. An active chemical (friction modifier) utilizes the existing friction energy to ensure flowing i.e. non-abrasive – smoothing, annealing the friction and bearing points.

CERA TEC is a suspension based on a microceramic solid lubricant and chemical active agents in mineral oil. This combination reduces friction and protects the engine and transmission against wear. This in turn prevents expensive repairs and prolongs the life of the assemblies.

CERA TEC offers high mechanical and thermal stability, ensuring outstanding lubrication even under the toughest conditions. Engine and transmission noise are reduced.
It saves energy, reduces fuel consumption and thus also pollutant emissions.

CERA TEC reacts directly with the surface of the metal and protects your engine for up to 50,000 kilometers - even with the oil being changed during that period.

Here's a 14 page thread about it on BITOG. You might want to Google Search BITOG for more info, as it has been discussed heavily there:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2695462
      03-30-2018, 12:02 PM   #22
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I have done a modest amount of reading about Ceratec including at BITOG. I think I understand how it works and that it is more or less a nano "coating" which has great benefit but with our engines and inadequate bearing clearance, is it unreasonable to think that any layer to the bearing is a bad thing?
Appreciate 0