BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #10957
nekbreaker
Lieutenant
nekbreaker's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: bmw e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: massachussett

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
got my custom steering wheel install and looks so good and feels amazing great work this people did wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekbreaker View Post
got my custom steering wheel install and looks so good and feels amazing great work this people did wow

did u buy it from coby wheel or ebay?
no I got it from azaautowheel on ig check them out
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #10958
Helmsman
Major General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
2526
Rep
5,450
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Changed oil. One of the 6mm sump plugs was old and partly stripped, close to not bite. So the shop saved $6 when not changing them. This was even a well known indy rather than dealer. Changing oil myself from now on, ffs.
Appreciate 2
ItsGary1391.00
SAMM3Y1760.50

      12-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #10959
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Grip Addict's Avatar
804
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Changed oil. One of the 6mm sump plugs was old and partly stripped, close to not bite. So the shop saved $6 when not changing them. This was even a well known indy rather than dealer. Changing oil myself from now on, ffs.
Yeah when I got my M3, I could tell it was impact straight to the oil pan in its life.

Bolt had so much sealant around the screw part to stop leak and when tightening it. I had to get my master mechanic father in law to drill in an insert for me.

Tell you watching someone drill into your oil pan is some of the most stressful shit ever.
__________________
Watch my >>> YouTube <<<
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #10960
vitalsigns
Private
41
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (1)

Took it out and drove the hell out of it [after driving my neighbor's GT3 today].

The GT3 is incredible.

But I still enjoyed my E90 too. The S65 is an amazing engine.
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u3669.50
Freiheit320.50

      12-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #10961
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Grip Addict's Avatar
804
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

I took it off the charger as I will be driving it for the first time in 5 days.
__________________
Watch my >>> YouTube <<<
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #10962
nekbreaker
Lieutenant
nekbreaker's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: bmw e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: massachussett

iTrader: (1)

took the m out for the last ride snow is flying here already and ending at the ram dealer since the lease on my truck is due in March and got the new truck
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y1760.50

      12-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #10963
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
Aries326's Avatar
United_States
149
Rep
1,510
Posts

Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Drove my car to tennis practice. Took some shots. Dropped it off at the stealer the other day. Quoted me $2200 for an oil change, NC state inspection, new spark plugs, and valve cover gasket. Wtf...
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:05 PM   #10964
Freiheit
Lieutenant
321
Rep
544
Posts

Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Drove my car to tennis practice. Took some shots. Dropped it off at the stealer the other day. Quoted me $2200 for an oil change, NC state inspection, new spark plugs, and valve cover gasket. Wtf...
I think they're double charging you. They'll quote you the book hours for each job ("here it is right here in the BMW AG rate book!") but a bunch of stuff that needs to be pulled out of the way for the valve cover gasket install ends up getting pulled out for the spark plug change anyway. You'll pay twice for a couple of hours worth of labor @$120/hr or whatever they're charging now.

Consider doing the plug change and valve cover gaskets yourself. Its not precision work, and as long as you keep surfaces and threads clean and torque things carefully you can't go wrong. The plugs are under $200 for the set and the gaskets shouldn't be over $100. For what the dealer is quoting you, they should be putting in all titanium fasteners and getting you a massage while you wait. Go have them do the oil change, so you don't have to deal with disposal, and the inspection.
__________________
Dinan Stg II Suspension Remus Race Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover Speed Element GTS CF side skirts M3 GTS door sills Lux Angel Eyes body color reflectors Andy@Alpine Stg I tune AA filter
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:10 PM   #10965
InnerBlueSkies
Lieutenant
InnerBlueSkies's Avatar
543
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: College Station, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Routine Maintenance. Trunk Liner finally came in use.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #10966
wfdeacon88
Major
1012
Rep
1,380
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Triad, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Drove my car to tennis practice. Took some shots. Dropped it off at the stealer the other day. Quoted me $2200 for an oil change, NC state inspection, new spark plugs, and valve cover gasket. Wtf...
where are you located in NC? I wouldn't use a dealer for this car ... Go to a good Indy and get better work for a better price.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #10967
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
Aries326's Avatar
United_States
149
Rep
1,510
Posts

Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Drove my car to tennis practice. Took some shots. Dropped it off at the stealer the other day. Quoted me $2200 for an oil change, NC state inspection, new spark plugs, and valve cover gasket. Wtf...
where are you located in NC? I wouldn't use a dealer for this car ... Go to a good Indy and get better work for a better price.
I usually go to EuroEnvy but I got pulled over for an expired registration. Apparently, when i bought the car in NY, the registration here was only temporary. I wanted to get it in quick for an inspection plus oil change and then, in typical dealer fashion, they mention the plugs are due to be changed and the gaskets needs changing too. I was getting the low oil message and I didn't want to delay getting the car in.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #10968
Helmsman
Major General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
2526
Rep
5,450
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Routine Maintenance. Trunk Liner finally came in use.
New TA's?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #10969
InnerBlueSkies
Lieutenant
InnerBlueSkies's Avatar
543
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: College Station, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
New TA's?
Yes, and while I was there an ignition coil, water pump, and thermostat. I wish I could say it was difficult but there are 2 videos on YouTube doing both DIYs, maybe a 3 out of 10 on difficulty and I'm not a mechanic. Plenum is 50% of the job. Car runs exceptional, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Attached Images
      

Last edited by InnerBlueSkies; 12-02-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #10970
akkando
Brigadier General
3531
Rep
4,702
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Got her wet and dirty

Had not driven her for 8 days so hopefully a good drive keeps the battery healthy. Comfort access was acting a little weird when I first tried to get in. Worked as normal at the end of the drive. Car has seen rain.

Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881011.50
NQRDDS39.50

      12-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #10971
Grip Addict
///M Connoisseur
Grip Addict's Avatar
804
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Drove to work on a icy/rainy morning then drove home.
__________________
Watch my >>> YouTube <<<
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #10972
Helmsman
Major General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
2526
Rep
5,450
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Yes, and while I was there an ignition coil, water pump, and thermostat. I wish I could say it was difficult but there are 2 videos on YouTube doing both DIYs, maybe a 3 out of 10 on difficulty and I'm not a mechanic. Plenum is 50% of the job. Car runs exceptional, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Nice! Water pump and thermostat just for the fun of it or did you notice issues? (What mileage btw?).
Did the TAs a few weeks ago probably watching the same DIY... Some of the wire connectors was quite tricky/hard to losen, and yes the plenum/hoses needed some luck to get back in place without too much hazzle...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:26 AM   #10973
wyatth
Colonel
1329
Rep
2,059
Posts

Drives: E90 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Got her wet and dirty

Had not driven her for 8 days so hopefully a good drive keeps the battery healthy. Comfort access was acting a little weird when I first tried to get in. Worked as normal at the end of the drive. Car has seen rain.
Looking great! Sometimes after sitting for a while, I need to physically lift the door handle to wake the car/comfort access up. Is this what you experienced? I wonder if it's a sleep mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #10974
InnerBlueSkies
Lieutenant
InnerBlueSkies's Avatar
543
Rep
542
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: College Station, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Nice! Water pump and thermostat just for the fun of it or did you notice issues? (What mileage btw?).
Did the TAs a few weeks ago probably watching the same DIY... Some of the wire connectors was quite tricky/hard to losen, and yes the plenum/hoses needed some luck to get back in place without too much hazzle...
74k on an 2008, family car, daily driven. Its been a rough year. I'm around that year and mileage where everything goes wrong.

Alternator, misfires, it was due so replaced all sparks (last done at 34k), continued to code, isolated to bad ignition coil.

More recently, Ive been dealing with a misfire, thermostat, and occasional bank 1 error which would put the car into limp mode at idle for about 4 months. Im in Texas generally 75 degree weather right now, car would take about 15 minutes to get even close to operating temp, never reaching 210. After replacing the thermostat, maybe 3-5 and hits 210 and stays there.

Ive avoided doing the work.

Everything under the wiring harness and on the car in general is "brittle" given its age so I was pretty careful but couldn't avoid breaking the suspension slot for the two connections under the wiring harness. I address the brittle issue by only moving/removing and flexing parts on the car as little as possible. I had only 2 to 3 inches of play with the harness, nothing like what they were working with in that video, one connection I couldnt break loose and knew I would crack it if I forced it anymore. The plenum went back in a little too easy

Maybe I should double check my work. It looks like it is on

and here are the videos I used.




Last edited by InnerBlueSkies; 12-03-2019 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 02:10 AM   #10975
Helmsman
Major General
Helmsman's Avatar
Sweden
2526
Rep
5,450
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
74k on an 2008, family car, daily driven. Its been a rough year. I'm around that year and mileage where everything goes wrong.

Alternator, misfires, it was due so replaced all sparks (last done at 34k), continued to code, isolated to bad ignition coil.

More recently, Ive been dealing with a misfire, thermostat, and occasional bank 1 error which would put the car into limp mode at idle for about 4 months. Im in Texas generally 75 degree weather right now, car would take about 15 minutes to get even close to operating temp, never reaching 210. After replacing the thermostat, maybe 3-5 and hits 210 and stays there.

Ive avoided doing the work.

Everything under the wiring harness and on the car in general is "brittle" given its age so I was pretty careful but couldn't avoid breaking the suspension slot for the two connections under the wiring harness. I address the brittle issue by only moving/removing and flexing parts on the car as little as possible. I had only 2 to 3 inches of play with the harness, nothing like what they were working with in that video, one connection I couldnt break loose and knew I would crack it if I forced it anymore. The plenum went back in a little too easy

Maybe I should double check my work. It looks like it is on
Sounds like challenge when things get brittle! Funny, neither of the two DIY thread I followed did the harness similar, and I ended up doing it slightly different still, guess we all find our ways.
Yeah sounds like you had your share, but managed it quite well so far - great work! Daily mine too but between garages, and 2011 with 45k miles so extremely solid so far. After almost 6y ownership Im starting to enjoy doing some of the stuff myself although limited work area. Dreaming of a garage with tools...

Cheers
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881011.50

      12-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #10976
akkando
Brigadier General
3531
Rep
4,702
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Got her wet and dirty

Had not driven her for 8 days so hopefully a good drive keeps the battery healthy. Comfort access was acting a little weird when I first tried to get in. Worked as normal at the end of the drive. Car has seen rain.
Looking great! Sometimes after sitting for a while, I need to physically lift the door handle to wake the car/comfort access up. Is this what you experienced? I wonder if it's a sleep mode.
Yes, believe that's what I experienced. So normal maybe.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #10977
Froufrou
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW F20
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Washed it and tried a new wax today, the Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax.

I also cleaned my garage today since I used some Havoc Rat poison for the reason it was infested with rats. Now it's all gone.
__________________
..

Last edited by Froufrou; 12-19-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #10978
akkando
Brigadier General
3531
Rep
4,702
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post

Im in Texas generally 75 degree weather right now, car would take about 15 minutes to get even close to operating temp, never reaching 210. After replacing the thermostat, maybe 3-5 and hits 210 and stays there.
Hmm, I'm in Nor Cal on BE bearings with 10w-60 Castrol and the car takes probably about 10-13 miles ( 20 minutes, mostly highway?) to warm up. Even then it basically just gets to 200 degrees and sits there and won't get to 210 unless I start driving above 6k RPM or sit in traffic where it idles. If I just let it idle ( I know it's not good) then it comes up to temp much faster. If I beat on it on the back roads I think it gets to like 230 or so.

I wonder if I need the thermostat changed? Not quite sure what's normal.

My N55 M2 warms up in 6-7 miles on 0w-30.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST