BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

M3 release/debut schedule and timing

The "production" car will have it's official media release in July with the final production car having it's international debut @ the IAA in Frankfurt in September . German and European sales are expected to begin shortly after which will then commence with the media release of the M3 Cabrio in November which might possibly debut at the Los Angeles show or the NAIS in January. US sales are expected to commence before the Spring .

Of course this is of course if everything runs to schedule in which delays may be inevitable if the development of a problem or delay appears. Although you are seeing almost finished cars on the streets , The development phase known as FEP continues right up to launch - The development programme for this car is very intensive it's a bit like a strict physical requirement for an elite military unit.

The new M3 in it's development has literally been to hell and back. The competition has now developed further and benchmarks such as the Aston Martin V8 Vantage and entry-mid level 911's have been assessed alongside the new M3.
Where you would never think they would be upagainst the previous M3 - This gives the clear impression of the strategic shift BMW have taken with the new M3 On which there is a clear reason why.

Keep the first week of March free in your diary.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thank you for sharing the info Scott. I'm sure everyone here appreciates it a lot. I figured this is important enough info to be its own thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

are u saying E93 M3 won't be in US until Spring 2008?

that's FU$KING BS!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Milehigh E90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Well if it IS Spring 2008 that's better for me! For ED Spring 2008 is better than winter 2007!
Guess we'll ALL just have wait and see! I would rather see something compete with the 911 and Austin Martin than see something come out in mid/late 2007 and not be ready for the competition. Inculding the NEW Lexus IS-F. :rocks:
      01-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The "production" car will have it's official media release in July with the final production car having it's international debut @ the IAA in Frankfurt in September . German and European sales are expected to begin shortly after which will then commence with the media release of the M3 Cabrio in November which might possibly debut at the Los Angeles show or the NAIS in January. US sales are expected to commence before the Spring .

Of course this is of course if everything runs to schedule in which delays may be inevitable if the development of a problem or delay appears. Although you are seeing almost finished cars on the streets , The development phase known as FEP continues right up to launch - The development programme for this car is very intensive it's a bit like a strict physical requirement for an elite military unit.

The new M3 in it's development has literally been to hell and back. The competition has now developed further and benchmarks such as the Aston Martin V8 Vantage and entry-mid level 911's have been assessed alongside the new M3.
Where you would never think they would be upagainst the previous M3 - This gives the clear impression of the strategic shift BMW have taken with the new M3 On which there is a clear reason why.

Great thanks for the insider info. Sounds fairly reasonable but I would still bet that the E92 M3 will be in customers hands in the US in calendar year 2007 (of course as a 2008 model). Want to place any friendly wagers on that? A European launch is important for the M3 but the US is the largest BMW market and the largest market for M3s. Releasing that late just does not seem to make sense given the state of the mules presently, the "prototype" launch in Geneva and the release schedule of prior cars.

Of course even it was presented to me as fact from a 100% reliable source, I would still want to argue against and not believe all of these dates.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Good info.

That seems very spot on to me. People speculate these dates all the time, however that timeline definitly makes the most sense to me with regards to Euro and US delivery/release.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
jtown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

That's ok I guess. I need to save some dough anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

Thanks Scott for all the information. So does this means the M3 is available to order in July? (Of course in europe) Isn't that a bit short for a late September/October delivery start??

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
MisterBMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great stuff Scott.

Looks like we do not have an ///M3 E90 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
mloyelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Porsche Carrera

This is BRUTAL news

You guys seem to have way more patience than me! Seems like we have already been waiting years for this car. Another 15-18 months? I will keep an eye on development from now on, but I need something in between. Anyone have any thoughts - Cayman, 911, 545i, Mcoupe, X5? Pretty disappointed about this, though sounds pretty legitimate.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloyelo View Post
You guys seem to have way more patience than me! Seems like we have already been waiting years for this car. Another 15-18 months? I will keep an eye on development from now on, but I need something in between. Anyone have any thoughts - Cayman, 911, 545i, Mcoupe, X5? Pretty disappointed about this, though sounds pretty legitimate.
I agree that this news is harsh. I believe it, though. It is consistent with what Larry Koch told me at the Chicago Auto Show in February, 2006.

What is interesting to me are the cars Scott says M is evaluating the M3 against. The 911 of course is an agile sports car and can be very hard core, depending on the model. The Aston is a heavy GT. Which direction will the M3 lean?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #12
mloyelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Porsche Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
I agree that this news is harsh. I believe it, though. It is consistent with what Larry Koch told me at the Chicago Auto Show in February, 2006.

What is interesting to me are the cars Scott says M is evaluating the M3 against. The 911 of course is an agile sports car and can be very hard core, depending on the model. The Aston is a heavy GT. Which direction will the M3 lean?
That is an interesting question indeed. Though suddenly, I am debating between the new x5 and the new cayanne, and envisioning a 911 vs. m3 (second car) debate in a YEAR AND A HALF. Ugggh!!! LOL.

P.S. The Cayanne will probably get the nod. BMW can K.M.A.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotoy View Post
be better to buy as a buillt 2008 anyway, woundnt wont to get say a oct/nov/dec 07 then a month later its "a yearold" if u know what i mean,Anything delivered 07, means its built 07!!! yes that includes u swamp too. Yeah its a pain but you r right gives bm time to get it right, im all for that.
I would rather have the car tomorrow. I don't care if it is a 1923 or 2008 model year and I don't care when it is actually built. Additionally, even if folks took delivery here in the US in 2007 it would still be a 2008 model year period, no debate. Anyway totally agree with mloyelo - this news sucks so bad. I guess I will continue to believe otherwise though, both for logical and emotional reasons. Do you all just think US delivery in calendar year 2007 is impossible?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Seems like we still have another full year :/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykotoy View Post
"Additionally, even if folks took delivery here in the US in 2007 it would still be a 2008 model year period"
roflm!!!!!

You are in denial !!!!
The manufacturer designates the model year not the date of sale. I am neither in denial nor incorrect. Do your homework.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #16
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloyelo View Post
I'd pick 911.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #17
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I'm reading Scott's post differently, I read it as the coupe will be sold shortly after the Frankfurt Auto show in Sept, and the Convertible will go on sale in the spring of '08. No real surprise here, it's what I've been expecting all along, at least for the coupe.

In the meantime, I have a great paid off car to drive.
      01-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #18
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

I'm still thinking fall of '07 for the US, as an '08 model, although the E46 M3 didn't release in the US until Spring '01, as an '01 so..... I suppose spring of '08, as an '08 model, is not out of the question... although, disappointing.

Another thing -- I have the marketing info that was sent to dealers before release of the E46 M3... and that info compared the E46 M3 to the 911 and Corvette. It was quite a large brochure that salesmen could use to convince customers that the M3 (E46) was an equal competitor to the 911 and Corvette. So having BMW compare/benchmark the E92 M3 with the 911 is nothing new....

In my mind... I know I'm going to be comparing "new M3" with "used M5" when it finally arrives. Prices should be in the same ballpark.... and the M5 will have already suffered a depreciation hit.... oh and have 2 more cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 02:40 AM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I see what you mean ... but

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I'm reading Scott's post differently, I read it as the coupe will be sold shortly after the Frankfurt Auto show in Sept, and the Convertible will go on sale in the spring of '08.
I can see how you may read it that way. However, have a look at this post by Scott in another forum and I think this one makes it clear that we will not (again will not according to Scott....) see the regular M3 coupe in the US until mid 2008.

http://www.germancarzone.com/showthread.php?t=7218

Again, I think we will see it in owners hands in calendar year 2007 for sure. So I guess we will see who is right.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 02:46 AM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

6 months....

Also, one more reason I am betting for CY 2007 for US deliveries. Let's suppose we see a "concept" M3 in Geneva. This will probably be a very late stage, almost production ready vehicle (weren't E46 M3 and E60 M5 first showings done the same way?). What will BMW be doing for 6 MONTHS between March and September??? 6 months is an eternity in the design cycle of modern cars. An entire design cycle from concept to completetion is about 18 months nowadays. Again I just don't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 02:57 AM   #21
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Also, one more reason I am betting for CY 2007 for US deliveries. Let's suppose we see a "concept" M3 in Geneva. This will probably be a very late stage, almost production ready vehicle (weren't E46 M3 and E60 M5 first showings done the same way?). What will BMW be doing for 6 MONTHS between March and September??? 6 months is an eternity in the design cycle of modern cars. An entire design cycle from concept to completetion is about 18 months nowadays. Again I just don't buy it.

I agree ont that, IF the car is ready, they want to sell it IMO. Waiting for 6 months, doesn`t sell a single M3, so from a marketing/company point of view it does not make any sense at all IMHO

If not ready, they need 6 more months, that sucks off course, but if so, why show the M3 in march if it`s not ready to sell ??
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #22
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
I agree ont that, IF the car is ready, they want to sell it IMO. Waiting for 6 months, doesn`t sell a single M3, so from a marketing/company point of view it does not make any sense at all IMHO
You're probably right it does not seem to make much sense, but BMW likes to make sure a car is ready for the public and will not rush it's release just because of what the competition is doing. Other manufactures do this, but BMW like to make sure a car is ready and is as reliable as possible.

If they don't sell it right away it's because the car or factory tooling is not totally ready. If you remember, I think they introduced the N54 Twin turbo engine in Geneva last year (March I think), but the first car with it, the E92 was only available to delivery to customers in September and the E90 335i was kept under cover quite a bit and first deliveries where in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
If not ready, they need 6 more months, that sucks off course, but if so, why show the M3 in march if it`s not ready to sell ??
It was the same thing with the E46 M3, they showed what they called the M3 Concept in Geneva (All windows tinted, including the Windshield) and 6 months later the final product in Frankfurt.

They took it around the world in the summer, as I remember getting a invitation from a Canadian dealer to see and give feedback on it.

With so much electronics in the cars and high performance engines, they like to finalize all their little test and also gauge customer perception on the car so that they can tweak the final bits on the car as well as the final launch/Marketing strategy

Just look at the killer success with the 335i (5-6 months waiting lists on ordered cars) my local dealer has one on lot (Automatic) no dealer in town has one for the next 5 moths ... all sold.
Appreciate 0