BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #23
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Kwike92M3 Welcome from a fellow Dallas-ite! There's several of us in the DFW area that go out to the track pretty frequently. None of us are supercharged, but dogbone is over in the Track section of the forum from similarly-hot California and you can read his build thread about the cooling mods he's done. With fall-weather rapidly approaching and you being a more novice-level track driver you'll probably be fine for the first couple of trips out on-track but will probably want to quickly consider the d088 oil cooler etc as you get going. BMW CCA has a HPDE weekend out at Cresson coming up in November. I think the Novice group might already be full be we will be doing a car-show alongside the event and maybe you can come out to that anyway and we can chat. Also checkout Apex HPDE. I do a lot of their events and will, if my car is ready with some of it's own new cooling mods, be out there on the weekend of the 7th I believe
I would love to get out to Cresson with my M3. Ive been out there doing the supercar experience, but never with my own car. Do you happen to have a link to sign up for the event? Even if i could just come out for the car show portion, i would love to get out there! I really appreciate the info!
Appreciate 1
Kelse921131.50
      10-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #24
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisca455 View Post
I think you're gonna enjoy the hell out of yourself when you hit the track with all the extra HP!
You might need larger rear tires though?
I have to agree! Lets be honest though, im willing to bet an experienced driver in a Miata would lap my ass in a 600hp m3.
Ive got forgestar f14s front and rear, running 295s in the rear. Might even go for some r888s or a track oriented tire if i can get them in time!
Appreciate 1
DRLane3988.50
      10-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #25
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwike92M3 View Post
Quote:
I think you're gonna enjoy the hell out of yourself when you hit the track with all the extra HP!
I have to agree! Lets be honest though, im willing to bet an experienced driver in a Miata would lap my ass in a 600hp m3.
Ive got forgestar f14s front and rear, running 295s in the rear. Might even go for some r888s or a track oriented tire if i can get them in time!
Yes, the spec Miatas will be looking to pass. Don't hold them up, trying to follow one of them is fantastic learning experience and test of consistency.

600hp from the Harrop is a ton? Did you get it on a dyno?
      10-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #26
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the spec Miatas will be looking to pass. Don't hold them up, trying to follow one of them is fantastic learning experience and test of consistency.

600hp from the Harrop is a ton? Did you get it on a dyno?
Up front I have 245/35/19 Michelin PS4s on 220s.
Rears are 305/30/19 with PS4s on widened 220s.
I'm probably going to stay with street tires and track pads for a while though.
For sure I don't know, what I don't know, but I'm leery of going down the rabbit hole.
Like, do track tires lead to brake kits which lead to suspension parts which lead to seats which lead to half cages......and so on and so forth.
I told myself I wasn't going to use up Marriage Brownie Points on the car, but it is really taking way more discipline than I thought it would.
I have a blast with my setup and I'm not chasing the clock...at this time.

The Miata at Thunderhill:
My first time on track, I was warned by my friends, please DON'T be "That Guy" that won't let a Miata by.
In hindsight I'm not sure why this guy in the Miata was even in our group, but there he was. Our group was beginner point by and only in designated areas of the track.
I had a coach with me and right away he told me to point the guy by.
I pointed the guy by, but then he couldn't get away from me, sort of holding me up on a fair chunk of the track, so he pointed me by going onto the front straightaway, which sort of confused me, but I put a good gap on him.
Then in the slower sections he could almost, but not quite, catch up enough to present himself to pass, but by that time we were at a horsepower part of the track and I'd gap him again.
I felt bad for him, but he just couldn't quite get all the way back to me.
It was a little wet, he was on some track tires and he finally spun off track at turn 1.
Pressure off.
Sorry dude.
My bad?
Attached Images

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #27
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Running the Harrop kit at elevation in CO. I'm sure it pulls timing but the car still runs like a tank and jumps out of corners compared to NA. I'll run hard for 15-20 minutes then let it cool for a lap or two then dial it back up for the rest of a 30 min session.

Our track has 100 octane which I should run but at $10 a gallon I often don't. Might mix in a few gallons of e85 per fill up. Mostly pump 91.

We're moving into cooler days which should mean a PR. Have two more days on my season pass.
elevation plays a huge part. here is an interesting vid on the subject.
      10-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #28
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
I would love to get out to Cresson with my M3. Ive been out there doing the supercar experience, but never with my own car. Do you happen to have a link to sign up for the event? Even if i could just come out for the car show portion, i would love to get out there! I really appreciate the info!
Of course! Here's a link to this weekend's autocross if you want to sign up, don't delay, only 5 spots left:
https://www.dlbracing.com/Event/7124

And links to the Cresson events:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ne-star-784792

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ne-star-101689

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0