BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #639
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Just got back from the dealership two days ago. My paper work states: "PROGRAMMED AND CODED COMPLETE VEHICLE AS PER SIB 28 07 08." I noticed a significant improvement on the lag. The lag is now about 0.5 - 1.0 sec. Before the update, I had about a 1.0-2.0 sec lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #640
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
By the way, I got the "Check Engine Soon", "Increased Emissions" lights last night along with some minor rough running. They didn't clear with a restart, and now the lights are on constant.

Could this be the idle circuit problem that contributes to the lag problem? I thought the '09s weren't susceptible to this.
Sounds like all of the tell tale signs to me. I thought for sure you had already seen it but the best discussion of this issue is here.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #641
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ugh. I now have an air conditioner lag. Seem related to my recent software update. I posted in a topic that seemed to be most related but I think it is also related to the latest DCT software update. Link here. Ugh...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 04:15 AM   #642
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Yeah, the M3 is a pretty terrible car...
Yeah, plain awful. The worst car I have ever owned. Please add (j/k) here

But I do wish I had stayed put with my S5 instead of jumping ship to my heart's desire which the M3 was. It was faster, more focused and was available. I suppose part ......... no all of my regret is centering on BMW's lack of fixing the gearbox issues, probably if the gearbox had performed as expected I would still be in love with the M3 but as most of my driving is done in traffic and at speeds which show off the lag in all it's glory I have gone pass the point where it was simply annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #643
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Sorry to hear of your woes footie. Do you use S modes? If not, I'd consider that until the issue is fixed.

I would still never consider an S5 instead of the M3. Perhaps an RS5? I think they finally plan to put DSG in that one right? In my case, I'd probalby miss the hard top (A/S/RS5 has a soft-top as you know, which some will consider an advantage), and I still have no desire for AWD, even rear biased AWD. And that's still a year off. Until then at least, the M3, despite the continued DCT lag issue, is the best all-around car out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #644
alito
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 CONVERTIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Just got back from the dealership two days ago. My paper work states: "PROGRAMMED AND CODED COMPLETE VEHICLE AS PER SIB 28 07 08." I noticed a significant improvement on the lag. The lag is now about 0.5 - 1.0 sec. Before the update, I had about a 1.0-2.0 sec lag.

Is that SIB specifically for the lag or something else?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #645
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alito View Post
Thanks
The SIB is specifically for the lag. Do a search for that SIB number and you can find a PDF of the actual bulletin. The SIB says it applies under hard braking situation, but the reality from people who recieved the update, is that it also helps in the "rolling stop" type of lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #646
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Got the car back yesterday after the software update.

Lag is nearly gone. The only time I noticed it was when the car was obviously between gears (downshift). The car now functions "as I would expect it to". I expect a bit of lag if the tranny is changing gears, etc., and that seems to be the case. I am a happy camper now.

Also had the idle control valve hose checked for delamination. It was fine.

The ISTA/P version was not on the invoice. However, it does state:

Old Integration level E89-08-09-530
New Integration Level E089-09-03-510 (there is an extra zero...but that is what the invoice states).

According to the Chart "Programming Data vs. Vehicle Data Status" (from another post), I got ISTA/P version 2.33.0. Old version would have been Progman 31.2, 32.0, or 32.1. (all had the same integration level number).

So, it looks like ISTA/P Version 2.33.0 definately greatly reduced the lag for me. I will report back if it starts to happen again, etc.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #647
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Sounds good Tim - keen to hear the latest and greatest about M-DCt
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #648
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Got the car back yesterday after the software update.

Lag is nearly gone. The only time I noticed it was when the car was obviously between gears (downshift). The car now functions "as I would expect it to". I expect a bit of lag if the tranny is changing gears, etc., and that seems to be the case. I am a happy camper now.

Also had the idle control valve hose checked for delamination. It was fine.

The ISTA/P version was not on the invoice. However, it does state:

Old Integration level E89-08-09-530
New Integration Level E089-09-03-510 (there is an extra zero...but that is what the invoice states).

According to the Chart "Programming Data vs. Vehicle Data Status" (from another post), I got ISTA/P version 2.33.0. Old version would have been Progman 31.2, 32.0, or 32.1. (all had the same integration level number).

So, it looks like ISTA/P Version 2.33.0 definately greatly reduced the lag for me. I will report back if it starts to happen again, etc.
Tim,

Keep us posted to see if the gearbox continues to behave like this, because I was in your very shoes some months ago singing the praises of the last software upgrade only to find the car reverting back to it's old ways.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #649
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
car is going in today for the reflash, will report back when I pick it up this weekend
      07-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #650
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Blue - see if you can get them to give you the version of the reflash.

Cheers.
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #651
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

went in for the update and my SA called me a little bit ago and told me it didnt happen because their computers crash. he said they have to reboot and they would try again tomorrow. didnt want to leave my car there overnight so i went to go pick it up and got home to find a 3 inch scratch on my passenger front window tint, the car smelling of gasoline and my gas down 1/8 of a tank. i dont know what they hell they did with my car but each time i go in for service it always stresses me out. Wish i had more dealers. Going to go back next week or maybe wait until september to see if another update is coming.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #652
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Blue - see if you can get them to give you the version of the reflash.

Cheers.
I will try, wish me lock
      07-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #653
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch View Post
went in for the update and my SA called me a little bit ago and told me it didnt happen because their computers crash. he said they have to reboot and they would try again tomorrow. didnt want to leave my car there overnight so i went to go pick it up and got home to find a 3 inch scratch on my passenger front window tint, the car smelling of gasoline and my gas down 1/8 of a tank. i dont know what they hell they did with my car but each time i go in for service it always stresses me out. Wish i had more dealers. Going to go back next week or maybe wait until september to see if another update is coming.
i feel your pain. I have no problem with my dealership so far and they are <8 miles away from me. So I really have no complain about their work and the service they provide which is excellent as well. A bit of a turn down today was when I got handed a key to my loaner, it turned out to be a 08' 328 while my gf with a 335 got a 09' 328 with ZPP last week. I thought M cars owners would've gotten better loaners but sadly not. Well, now the wait begins.
      07-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #654
jerseykid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Yes, I agree with the feeling of "sluggish" low rpm acceleration...it feels as though they screwed with the torque curve with now less torque below the 3-4000 rpm range than before. This is of course, all subjective. In D modes it also seems to be shifting at higher rpms, especially in 2-4 gears. Anyone agree? I believe mine is a 7/08 build.
I'm experiencing the same thing. Got my car back today and the lag has diminished considerably. But soon after I drove off the lot and started doing some hard accelerations I noticed something odd. Its apparent to me that the car feels "sluggish". Feels like it has less torque and as if its less eager to blast through the rpms. Oh man this is not good, I would have rather stuck with the lag then suffer from a performance downgrade!!

Serious question: Can I go back to my previous version?? I want to go back, please. I can't live like this thinking my car is slower now.

Last edited by jerseykid; 07-23-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #655
grayshrk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Graphite E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseykid View Post
I'm experiencing the same thing. Got my car back today and the lag has diminished considerably. But soon after I drove off the lot and started doing some hard accelerations I noticed something odd. Its apparent to me that the car feels "sluggish". Feels like it has less torque and as if its less eager to blast through the rpms. Oh man this is not good, I would have rather stuck with the lag then suffer from a performance downgrade!!

Serious question: Can I go back to my previous version?? I want to go back, please. I can't live like this thinking my car is slower now.
I gotta say guys, ever since this idea of "sluggishness" first popped up, I've been trying hard to see if I can identify any new "sluggishness". For me, I don't see any new sluggishness. I tracked my car prior to the update and have a pretty good feel for what it can do when pushed hard. I don't see anything different post update. Maybe if someone gets a dyno done post update we could compare torque curves to see if anything significant changed across the entire RPM spectrum.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #656
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayshrk View Post
I gotta say guys, ever since this idea of "sluggishness" first popped up, I've been trying hard to see if I can identify any new "sluggishness". For me, I don't see any new sluggishness. I tracked my car prior to the update and have a pretty good feel for what it can do when pushed hard. I don't see anything different post update. Maybe if someone gets a dyno done post update we could compare torque curves to see if anything significant changed across the entire RPM spectrum.
I've tried to pay attention to this as well. I do not feel any difference whatsoever. However, if there is an effect here you would almost for sure not see it by dyno testing. That only gives you WOT torque vs. rpm. Here we are considering part throttle issues - throttle mapping and throttle sensitivity. To those experiencing the problem you might consider trying sport or sport plus for the the throttle, it should very much counteract this effect, increasing low throttle sensitivity. This might be a perfectly good work around.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #657
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
I've tried to pay attention to this as well. I do not feel any difference whatsoever. However, if there is an effect here you would almost for sure not see it by dyno testing. That only gives you WOT torque vs. rpm. Here we are considering part throttle issues - throttle mapping and throttle sensitivity. To those experiencing the problem you might consider trying sport or sport plus for the the throttle, it should very much counteract this effect, increasing low throttle sensitivity. This might be a perfectly good work around.
Thanks for the advice. I have always used sport plus and this is the mode where I noticed the difference initially. I still need to do some more testing to see if this is really an isssue for me, at least.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #658
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

This is surprising to me as I too noticed something similar on my last update which was months ago, this impression lasted only for about 2~3 days and either went away or I just adjusted my driving style to suit.

There is no doubt that there is subtle differences between each upgrade but it will be interesting to see if anyone else reckon this sluggishness goes away.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #659
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alito View Post
Thanks
Alito: FYI, Attached is the referenced SIB regarding DCT delayed throttle response (aka, lag/hesitation)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Updated SIB 28 07 08 DCT Fix.doc (21.0 KB, 477 views)

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #660
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Alito: FYI, Attached is the referenced SIB regarding DCT delayed throttle response (aka, lag/hesitation)
Repost. We talked about this extensively some time ago. The whole point was that BMW changed their story from saying lag is normal and don't update software to saying well it is still normal but do update the software.
Appreciate 0