BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

07-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

High End Appliances, Worth it?

Different than most discussions on this forum, but i wanted to give this one a shot:

I currently have a 36 inch Sub Zero 650 refrig/freezer that has been nothing but problems. (granted, it's about 16 years old now) but i have replaced the following:

1. Gaskets
2. compressor fan
3. Ice maker and Fill Valve
4. a few other items

I still keep running into the same problem over the past 3 years. My condenser coils on the freezer keep icing up and causing the freezer to lose temp. ( i am convinced that the seal on the door is letting hot air in, but who knows -- i've replaced this twice, but maybe door isnt lining up correctly?)

Service guy (who by the way is honest) says i probably need a new control board at the tune of $800; but wants me to let it freeze up again first so he can see it. So far i've probably put $2-3k in repairs on this thing in the past 2-3 years. Basically, its like owning a pre-owned, out of warranty BMW.

Here's the problem, a new SZ costs upwards of 9k, and in order for my kitchen to look right i need to get another built in refrig (even the cheapest ones are 6k). My fridge even has the panels that match my kitchen cabinets, so in order to match that, i'd need another SZ. I'm currently searching high and low for a floor model that is less than 7k.

So the question, continue to try and diagnose this freeze problem or suck it up and buy a new one? everything seems to work fine, but every other month i'm on my hands and knees with a blow dryer defrosting the freezer.

I question, are these freaking appliances worth it? For what i've spent in maintenance and repairs, i could've gotten a new high end LG every 3 years....

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i

Last edited by Naz24; 07-05-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

I have no experience with SZ but have heard of others with issues similar to yours. For what it's worth I have had an LG fridge for a couple of years now, problem free and really like it. Your problem is the built in aspect with the panels to match the cabinets. That is not something you're going to find on an LG fridge...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

As long as it doesn't completely die randomly and spoil your food probably worth keeping.
At least they're made so they won't become obsolete in that parts are usually always available.
My friend had a Sub freezer with probably 100 pounds of deer meat in it that completely quit and filled up with blood and maggots, we had to use a wheel barrow and dig a trench and burry the rot. Could have been caused by a lightning strike.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I have no experience with SZ but have heard of others with issues similar to yours. For what it's worth I have had an LG fridge for a couple of years now, problem free and really like it. Your problem is the built in aspect with the panels to match the cabinets. That is not something you're going to find on an LG fridge...
I'd be fine without the cabinet panels on my fridge, but i think to get it to look right, i need a cabinet depth fridge.. Unless i'm ready to start ripping apart the kitchen

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
I'd be fine without the cabinet panels on my fridge, but i think to get it to look right, i need a cabinet depth fridge.. Unless i'm ready to start ripping apart the kitchen
It is very dependent on the brand, the appliance, and even the model. Do a lot of research or ask someone knowledgeable that you trust. I think the 36" SZs are made completely differently than the 42" and up. If you are stuck with 36", then I might not pay the premium for SZ. That said, I can tell you with 100% certainty, that my SZ keeps food better than any other fridge I have owned. I cook a lot, so I have high end kitchen appliances and I could not go back. I think there are som good SZ competitors out there now, especially at 36". I wish I had recommendations for you, but I did not do research at 36", although I recalled something about them being a whole different manufacturing process. Could you do a dedicated 36" refrigerator column and tear out a few lower cabs and put in freezer drawers somewhere else?
      07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

^ Right! That's your dilemma unfortunately... If you convinced the door seals are bad, have you tried replacing those?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
It is very dependent on the brand, the appliance, and even the model. Do a lot of research or ask someone knowledgeable that you trust. I think the 36" SZs are made completely differently than the 42" and up. If you are stuck with 36", then I might not pay the premium for SZ. That said, I can tell you with 100% certainty, that my SZ keeps food better than any other fridge I have owned. I cook a lot, so I have high end kitchen appliances and I could not go back. I think there are som good SZ competitors out there now, especially at 36". I wish I had recommendations for you, but I did not do research at 36", although I recalled something about them being a whole different manufacturing process. Could you do a dedicated 36" refrigerator column and tear out a few lower cabs and put in freezer drawers somewhere else?

I completely agree that the SZ performance is unparalleled. Food definitely stays fresher. My Parents have the KitchenAid version, and i think its a big piece of junk

But to think that a 36 inch version has different techniques and quality of manufacturing versus the 48 inch +? I will research that.

PS, to add insult to injury, this fridge is located in the two family home i own, and the fridge is on the second floor in a tight space. getting it out to replace with another one will not be an easy endeavor.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

We went to a resort at Palm Coast, FL, and the kitchen was high end, all Viking. And wouldn't you know, the refrigerator was not working when we arrived. Unfortunately, if you have a high end kitchen, I think the expectation is that the appliances should be high end. Are they worth it? Are they better? It's not like comparing a F80 to a Acura or something where you can see, feel, and confirm the specs indicating the difference. The job of the fridge is to keep food cold, and to freeze food. Plenty of coworkers also have complained about Samsungs costing over 2k. My hunch is this stuff just ain't built as well as before.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
This is what we did. We didn't care for the price of the SZ 36" freezer and my gut and experience told me that freezers have more issues than refrigerators do. So we put the 36" fridge in the kitchen and put a $450 freezer in the pantry. Within 2 years something went wrong with the freezer and i was happy it was under warranty. But that was 5 years ago and if something went wrong today, the part and labor would likely be around $200 or we'd just spend a little more than double that and get a brand new one. Of course it helps that we designed the kitchen and pantry this way.

Fridge is solid and consistent though. To answer the OPs question, yes, high end appliances are well worth the money.

Good luck OP!
      07-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
We went to a resort at Palm Coast, FL, and the kitchen was high end, all Viking. And wouldn't you know, the refrigerator was not working when we arrived. Unfortunately, if you have a high end kitchen, I think the expectation is that the appliances should be high end. Are they worth it? Are they better? It's not like comparing a F80 to a Acura or something where you can see, feel, and confirm the specs indicating the difference. The job of the fridge is to keep food cold, and to freeze food. Plenty of coworkers also have complained about Samsungs costing over 2k. My hunch is this stuff just ain't built as well as before.
I had Viking cooking appliances before, but never a fridge. Nothing but problems, sadly. Viking fridges are manufactured by someone else - Whirlpool or Frigidaire - cannot remember right now. (Checked - it's Amana - SOURCE). According to that site, I may be wrong (or outdated) on SubZero as well. Anyway, I would never buy Viking again. I have Miele in the current house (except the fridge). Every person on the planet should buy a Milele Future Diamond dishwasher. Just saying. The thing props itself open after the dry cycle to finish drying and to cool. Heh. Love that damn thing. But not as much as I love women and cars - FUCK yeah - #mancardnotrevoked
      07-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had Viking cooking appliances before, but never a fridge. Nothing but problems, sadly. Viking fridges are manufactured by someone else - Whirlpool or Frigidaire - cannot remember right now. (Checked - it's Amana - SOURCE). According to that site, I may be wrong (or outdated) on SubZero as well. Anyway, I would never buy Viking again. I have Miele in the current house (except the fridge). Every person on the planet should buy a Milele Future Diamond dishwasher. Just saying. The thing props itself open after the dry cycle to finish drying and to cool. Heh. Love that damn thing. But not as much as I love women and cars - FUCK yeah - #mancardnotrevoked
YAAS. My parents have a 20 year old Miele dishwasher that is still kicking. great company. I have a Gaggenau (which is a subsidiary of bosch) and have had no problems.

Speaking of Viking, their stoves aren't even that great. The BTU's coming out are crap. My parents have a 60 inch Garland Commercial stove in their house, effing thing is 36k BTU per burner, its an animal. I love it.

Have you seen the La Cornue custom stoves for the tune of 80K? Those are made for the people with gourmet kitchens who order take out...

2017 C63
2012 X5M
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Posting that is instant cause for having it revoked.

We have Wolf cooking appliances and Bosch dishwasher. I wish it propped itself open to finish drying. But we mainly got that one because at the time it was one of the few which had a pan and float switch to shut the water off in case of a leak.

A friend of mine owns about 6 Famous Tate appliance locations around town and he has all Subzero and Wolf products. But likely because they are the manufacture who gave him the best personal use deal.

I just texted him and he said Miele is shit.

Just kidding, i didn't text him. I don't care that much about appliance brands to pick up my phone. Knowing you, i'm pretty sure Miele > Wolf. But them i don't have to worry about my man card being revoked.
      07-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

IMHO high end appliances are an absolute scam. Most of the features are needless to say the least, just go with something like GE's Profile line and be done with it if you want "really nice".
Appreciate 11
      07-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #14
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

High end appliance are not needed.....but if you got the dough....they got some cool features and when you got too much money what else is there to do..:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Posting that is instant cause for having it revoked.

We have Wolf cooking appliances and Bosch dishwasher. I wish it propped itself open to finish drying. But we mainly got that one because at the time it was one of the few which had a pan and float switch to shut the water off in case of a leak.

A friend of mine owns about 6 Famous Tate appliance locations around town and he has all Subzero and Wolf products. But likely because they are the manufacture who gave him the best personal use deal.

I just texted him and he said Miele is shit.

Just kidding, i didn't text him. I don't care that much about appliance brands to pick up my phone. Knowing you, i'm pretty sure Miele > Wolf. But them i don't have to worry about my man card being revoked.
:,( I am going to get a pint of Ben and Jerry's out of my SubZero freezer and watch The Notebook again, because you hurt my feelings.
      07-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

We have all Miele appliances. Awesome for a small apartment. And we got a 10 year warranty on everything. Just like my car, I want appliances that are built in Germany. The warranty covers repair on site, which is handy because all the appliances are built in.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 07-05-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #17
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz
High end appliance are not needed.....but if you got the dough....they got some cool features and when you got too much money what else is there to do..:
On a site which is dedicated to the discussion of cars which are not "needed". Priceless. Thanks for my daily lulz.
      07-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
:,( I am going to get a pint of Ben and Jerry's out of my SubZero freezer and watch The Notebook again, because you hurt my feelings.
Dibs on the Peanutbutter Fudge Core pint!!
      07-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On a site which is dedicated to the discussion of cars which are not "needed". Priceless. Thanks for my daily lulz.
My next oven will only meet my needs.

07-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #20
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
My next oven will only meet my needs.

[IMG]http://static.digg.com/images/031899..._standard.jpeg[/IMG]
I thought you didn't go visit Axius Pretty sure that's his oven! Or was that ASBSECU E93 Either way, could be either of theirs.
      07-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #21
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

We have a kenmore. 11 years and still going strong. I think it was 6-700 dollars.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #22
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
IMHO high end appliances are an absolute scam. Most of the features are needless to say the least, just go with something like GE's Profile line and be done with it if you want "really nice".
But how will I know what's in my fridge if it doesn't come with 26 HD 4k web cams?????
Appreciate 2