BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

F1 extinction?

With 4 cylinder engines coming, will F1 be the same? Will Flabio team up with Ferrari and create a breakaway series?

Last edited by OLEK135i; 01-23-2011 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: misspell
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

No.

But with the way Bernie's senile ass is running it, the sport will be a ghost of what it used to be in a few short years. Too bad those muggers didn't finish the job.
      01-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
quattrosaint
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEK135i View Post
With 4 cylinder engines coming, will F1 be the same? Will Flabio team up with Ferrari and create a breakaway series?
These were the same discussions last year and it turned out to be the best season in history. The 4 cylinder engines will be turbo charged and have the same amount of power plus KERS will return. The smaller engines will allow for better aero (more downforce) thus more passing this season. I'll miss the f-duct and "flexable" front wings though. Go Ferrari, now we know why they were not penalized for the team orders incident....
      01-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
NExt year we will have movable-rear wing instead...
Extinction of F1...far from it...
      01-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

The I4T will be much harder to drive and make F1 a bit more interesting. Good news is that F1 will live and Bernie will die.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

It's probably not going to die, but I sure as hell won't pay to see and hear a turbo 4 banger. However, will continue watching it on TV while alive .
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I love the sound of the current F1 cars, but didn't BMW do really well they had such an engine?

01-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It's probably not going to die, but I sure as hell won't pay to see and hear a turbo 4 banger. However, will continue watching it on TV while alive .
It probably won't even sound that much different anyways from the current f1 cars. I can bet that this season is gonna be one if the most interesting and exiting that we have seen in many years! Go Ferrari!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

When decisions are made in split seconds... i wonder how the engineers manage to reduce the turbo lag to what must be perceptively zero lag?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

The last "real" season of F1 was 2004. V10 engines. Tire changes allowed. Refueling allowed.

Since then we've seen

2005 - Tire changes banned

2006 - Tire changes re-introduced but V10 banned in favor of V8

2007-10 - V8 development frozen, innovation in F1 killed off via insane bans on track testing and wind tunnel usage, V8 further handicapped with lower and lower RPM limits, the complete disaster known as KERS, terrible aerodynamic rules that make the cars look like ass, refueling banned, manufacturers such as Honda, Toyota and BMW driven out due to the regressive direction of the sport, competition among tire manufacturers killed dead as Michelin was forced out, now Bridgestone is gone as well

And now 4 banger turbo engines, a VTEC fanboy's wet dream.

Every season F1 comes closer and closer to being a spec racing series, which is completely contrary to what the sport is supposed to be. The word "Formula" in Formula 1 refers to the "formula" that is given to the teams before the start of the season. They are given a set of rules to work in and then they are free to produce the fastest, most innovative cars they can, within those rules. Now it's going to just be a set of spec chassis, transmissions, and engines built by a single company with different sticker packages on them.

Last edited by FStop7; 01-24-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post

The last "real" season of F1 was 2004. V10 engines. Tire changes allowed. Refueling allowed.

Since then we've seen

2005 - Tire changes banned

2006 - Tire changes re-introduced but V10 banned in favor of V8

2007-10 - V8 development frozen, innovation in F1 killed off via insane bans on track testing and wind tunnel usage, V8 further handicapped with lower and lower RPM limits, the complete disaster known as KERS, terrible aerodynamic rules that make the cars look like ass, refueling banned, manufacturers such as Honda, Toyota and BMW driven out due to the regressive direction of the sport, competition among tire manufacturers killed dead as Michelin was forced out, now Bridgestone is gone as well

And now 4 banger turbo engines, a VTEC fanboy's wet dream.

Every season F1 comes closer and closer to being a spec racing series, which is completely contrary to what the sport is supposed to be. The word "Formula" in Formula 1 refers to the "formula" that is given to the teams before the start of the season. They are given a set of rules to work in and then they are free to produce the fastest, most innovative cars they can, within those rules. Now it's going to just be a set of spec chassis, transmissions, and engines built by a single company with different sticker packages on them.
First of all, how does a season where ONE driver wins 13 out of 18 races classified as a "real" F1 season?

Secondly; people are talking like we haven't seen turbos in F1 before..we have...and if you think the cars wont be as fast or sound as good I think you're in for a real shock.

And Finally; BMW, Toyota, and Honda are out of the sport because they did a quick ROI calculation and decided spending 400 million a year during a recession wasn't in the companies best interest.

P.S. VTEC fanboys would also be happier with NA power.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejdm View Post
First of all, how does a season where ONE driver wins 13 out of 18 races classified as a "real" F1 season?

Secondly; people are talking like we haven't seen turbos in F1 before..we have...and if you think the cars wont be as fast or sound as good I think you're in for a real shock.

And Finally; BMW, Toyota, and Honda are out of the sport because they did a quick ROI calculation and decided spending 400 million a year during a recession wasn't in the companies best interest.

P.S. VTEC fanboys would also be happier with NA power.
This.

I really fail to see how the recent regulation changes have decreased innovation. I find just the opposite to be true as each time they've banned something, the teams have come up with some genius technology to edge out the competition. I think it's been fantastic to watch and I can't wait to see what the teams come up with this year.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

OMG IT'S A FOUR CYLINDER WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

As it has been stated, this has already happened before, and the old turbo I4's were some of the most, if not the most powerful F1 engines ever created.......

Have you guys that claim it sounds lame even heard a I4 at 70+ pounds per square inch of pressure feeding it while it climbs past 10,000RPM?

I didn't think so.......
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post

As it has been stated, this has already happened before, and the old turbo I4's were some of the most, if not the most powerful F1 engines ever created.......

Have you guys that claim it sounds lame even heard a I4 at 70+ pounds per square inch of pressure feeding it while it climbs past 10,000RPM?

I didn't think so.......
+1
Exactly, I had the pleasure of seeing the vintage F1 support race at the montreal Gp this year and the turbo cars sounded AMAZING.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post

I didn't think so.......
Thank you! At least someone knows what they are talking about!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
F1 will keep evolving over time, it's not going anywhere and I'll still be watching.