BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
krayis
Rep
Drives: m3

Dealership replaced AMP, sounds different.

The dealership broke my AMP and replaced it with a new version. My car had S752A Individual audio system and for some reason now I have a lot less bass when I turn it up. I can turn it up but there less "omph"

I took it back to the dealer but I'm afraid the might say everything is working fine.

Anyone else had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Didn't you already ask this?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505902
BOOF-M34450.00
      06-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
krayis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Yes I thought they gave me the incorrect amp but turns out they gave me the right one but it still doesn't sound correct..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayis View Post
Yes I thought they gave me the incorrect amp but turns out they gave me the right one but it still doesn't sound correct..

So go back and tell them that. It's possible the new one is defective or installed incorrectly.
      06-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Is it possible you originally had a Logic 7 amp? Those make more bass.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
krayis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
So go back and tell them that. It's possible the new one is defective or installed incorrectly.

I did that and they checked over it and charged me 120 or something and said they couldn't find a problem that's why I'm asking here for advice.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
krayis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Is it possible you originally had a Logic 7 amp? Those make more bass.
Would there be any way to check by vin number?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

I don't know if this applies, but in home audio, and in my old school car audio days, it was known that any audio component went through a break-in period. Speakers were the worst in that respect, followed by amps. It wasn't uncommon for people to complain that what they were sold wasn't what they got, when the products were installed. They had to be shown that a demo unit usually had many hours of use on the floor or soundboard and their new pieces would need the same treatment. Eventually we learned that we had to explain this up front and actually give people directions on proper break-in. Or just tell them we'd be happy to swap in the used component for their new one if they felt the difference was too much.

So, maybe your new amp needs time to cook.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
I don't know if this applies, but in home audio, and in my old school car audio days, it was known that any audio component went through a break-in period. Speakers were the worst in that respect, followed by amps. It wasn't uncommon for people to complain that what they were sold wasn't what they got, when the products were installed. They had to be shown that a demo unit usually had many hours of use on the floor or soundboard and their new pieces would need the same treatment. Eventually we learned that we had to explain this up front and actually give people directions on proper break-in. Or just tell them we'd be happy to swap in the used component for their new one if they felt the difference was too much.

So, maybe your new amp needs time to cook.

Was the quoted break-in time longer than the return period?

I don't subscribe to the "break-in" myth. Most speakers are tested and run-in at the factory these days, so the break-in has already taken place. There is some truth in driver warm-up, but again, we are talking about extremely minute differences that are difficult to hear. If something doesn't sound good the first time, return it and buy something that does sound good.

Paul Barton has spoken about how break-in is largely a myth and psychological in nature (you get used to the new sound, basically). He even performed measurements on his own:

"Barton has examined his own speakers to test this. He has taken a Stratus Gold loudspeaker, built and measured some ten years ago, and re-measured it today. The deviation is slight, perhaps 1/4dB at most. Although that deviation can possibly be heard, it is certainly not a huge difference that one may attest to hearing. Instead, Barton surmises that the difference in sound that people are hearing over time is conditioning of the brain. He cites experiments done with sight that indicate the brain can accommodate for enormous changes fairly quickly and certainly within the hundreds of hours that audiophiles claim changes occur in. Could this apply to hearing, too? Barton thinks that more often than not, what happens is that the changes in perceived sound that are attributed to component break-in are simply the brain becoming accustomed to the sound. He warns listeners not to fool themselves."