BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

05-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #23
JAIM3
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Love my ACM mod! I don't dd the car, but if I did, I don't think I would mind. Considering a M performance just because there is something unique about the sound. Expensive for a catback though.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #24
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlkM3 View Post
I happened to hear a fellow forum member's ACM exhaust mod this past Thurs. at a local BMW CCA social event.

I was blown away!!! That exhaust sounds so awesome in person! It's a beast for sure and really brings out the V8 sound. I was surprised that the cold start was not that bad really and sounded just a little louder than stock (his car probably sat for a couple hours, so maybe not a full-on cold start?). It idled quietly as we talked so it didn't sound much different than stock, but when he pulled away and was on the throttle it was really aggressive and I liked it. I did not get a chance to sit in the car and ride, so I'm still unsure if the interior cabin would be overwhelmed with sound. He did admit that he does have to talk a little louder over the exhaust sometimes or turn the radio up, but that does not exactly scare me away...just as long as it's not crazy loud inside. I have a 6sp mt, so I think I can manage the sound a little better than DCT with the ability to coast into my parking spot in my neighborhood.

I still haven't heard the perforated version yet in person, but I'm really leaning towards going big or going home! If it's too crazy, then I can scale it down to the perforated version and at least not have that "what if" feeling wondering if I made the mistake by not going for that aggressive sound of the ACM I like.
the tone of the ACM is better IMO. its deeper, and louder sounding. i have the perforated method to help deal with the drone better. if drone didn't matter, better believe ACM all the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Please correct me if I am wrong. ACM exhaust mod involves replacing all four perforated tubes to non perforated tubes. And OEM exhaust mod involves replacing only two, one on each side.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #26
Eazy-E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong. ACM exhaust mod involves replacing all four perforated tubes to non perforated tubes. And OEM exhaust mod involves replacing only two, one on each side.

Perforated mod just replaces the perforated pipes with solid pipes. ACM mod bypasses the perforated pipes with a straight threw pipe on both sides of the muffler.

ACM mod http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609950

I have the ACM mod with 3 inch tips sounds great. Best sounding exhaust IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #27
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Got it! I don't think the ACM mod is for me. Maybe I'll try the Perforated exhaust mod only on one side. Car will be driven 50% by the lady. Can't render the muffler completely useless!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #28
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-E90 View Post
Perforated mod just replaces the perforated pipes with solid pipes. ACM mod bypasses the perforated pipes with a straight threw pipe on both sides of the muffler.

ACM mod http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609950

I have the ACM mod with 3 inch tips sounds great. Best sounding exhaust IMO.
I love mine as well!
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #29
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Can anyone recommend some shops that have experience with the oem perforated method?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #30
JerezBlkM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mv8aw View Post
Can anyone recommend some shops that have experience with the oem perforated method?
Zury Fabrications is highly recommended from others on the forum. They are located in Elkridge, MD close to BWI airport. They have a Facebook page with examples of their work and it all looks top notch. I actually scheduled an appointment yesterday to get the ACM version of the OEM mod done next Thurs., so I'm looking forward to hearing more of the sweet sounds of the V8! They are also familiar with the perforated mod as well when I talked to them, so you can definitely get either done. I'm also having the muffler painted black too so it is more hidden when looking at the back of the car.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #31
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate the heads up. How is their scheduling in terms of the wait? I guess I'll just give them a call and get details on pricing, etc... Thanks again.

Im debating just getting the perforated mod or going with a gintani sport. Anyone have experiences with both? Wiling to chime in on the gintani?

Quote:
Zury Fabrications is highly recommended from others on the forum. They are located in Elkridge, MD close to BWI airport. They have a Facebook page with examples of their work and it all looks top notch. I actually scheduled an appointment yesterday to get the ACM version of the OEM mod done next Thurs., so I'm looking forward to hearing more of the sweet sounds of the V8! They are also familiar with the perforated mod as well when I talked to them, so you can definitely get either done. I'm also having the muffler painted black too so it is more hidden when looking at the back of the car.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #32
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mv8aw View Post
Im debating just getting the perforated mod or going with a gintani sport. Anyone have experiences with both? Wiling to chime in on the gintani?
Depends on how much you want to spend. Not sure how much the Gintani sells for but I doubt its as inexpensive as the OEM mod which is less than $500 at Zury's

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #33
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Money is not the main driving factor in my decision, although it is a factor. Im in a limbo as to which exhaust to get and the gintani is just one of my preferences. Main issue is that ive heard ZERO aftermarket exhausts in person. I really want to buy a used exhaust system and gintani seems like they are more plentiful. Im also in the market for mpe, akra, or meisterschaft, also dinan too now thanks to feedback from a local member. I cant justify paying full price new for any of these m3 systems. Ive heard such great comments about the oem exhaust mod that i'll probably end up going this route first since it is the cheapest and logically would make sense.

But i've heard comments stretching from "oem perforated mod is not very noticably different than oem" to "this is the best sounding exhaust". I know its subjective.

But trying to get a sense if this oem mod sound can actually compete with the other ones "if price were not a factor", or is it just good considering that its the cheapest route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Depends on how much you want to spend. Not sure how much the Gintani sells for but I doubt its as inexpensive as the OEM mod which is less than $500 at Zury's
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #34
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

If you're ever in Columbia or Laurel MD areas, you're welcomed to hear my ACM mod. I kinda like it

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #35
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
If you're ever in Columbia or Laurel MD areas, you're welcomed to hear my ACM mod. I kinda like it
Hey appreciate your willingness to demo it for me! Ill definitely let ya know if im ever up that way and still in the market for the mod. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #36
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

FYI, my perforated mod will be going up for sale soon. It's technically an E90 section that I swapped my E92 tips on to. I have the E90 tips as well. It's much louder than stock and if it paired well with an x-pipe it TP's I'd be keeping it.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #37
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Anybody have the ACM mod and will be at MPACT this weekend? Would like to hear it in person...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #38
Eazy-E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
Anybody have the ACM mod and will be at MPACT this weekend? Would like to hear it in person...
I'll be there haven't decided if I'm driving yet though. If I do you can hear mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #39
eaeRo
Rep
Drives: m3 graphite

Garage List
2007 BMW m3  [0.00]
did the perforated method, sounds awesome although a bit too much so planing to uncover the perforated pipe a bit, has anyone done it to reduce the sound a bit? feels like if you cover whole perf. pipe the there is no backpressure and i think it needs a bit of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #40
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaeRo View Post
did the perforated method, sounds awesome although a bit too much so planing to uncover the perforated pipe a bit, has anyone done it to reduce the sound a bit? feels like if you cover whole perf. pipe the there is no backpressure and i think it needs a bit of that.
No need for that , because the 2 small perforated pipes are still perforated and open .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #41
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Hi guys - I'm torn between which OEM exhaust mod that I want to go with. I've searched the forums up and down, read other users' opinions, and watched some YouTube videos. Ultimately, I think the only way I will be able to tell is to hear them each in person, and I want to do this mod right the first time. Once decided, I plan to take it to Zury Fabrications as I hear from you guys on previous topics that they do great work.

I'm curious if there are any forum members in the Baltimore metro area that have either the ACM or perforated (2 larger pipes covered) OEM exhaust mods?

I'd love to hear the exhaust from the outside and also hear if there is any drone inside the cabin when cruising. Also opinions if it overpowers the radio in the car or bluetooth phone capability. I daily drive my car about 50 miles round trip (mostly back roads so varying RPMS), but definitely could not live with an exhaust that droned every day or on long trips on the highway (sustained RPMs).

As a perspective, I was at the BMW Performance Center earlier this month and went on a "hot lap" with an instructor in an e92 M3 equipped with the M Performance exhaust (MPE). Sitting in the back seat I could not really tell much of a difference between the stock exhaust and MPE. Once outside, I still could not really tell the difference between the MPE and the stock exhaust M3s going around the track. They all sounded great, but the MPE didn't stick out among the pack. I know there is a difference, but it was not night/day different like I imagined it would be.

If the perforated mod sounds like the MPE in person, then I think I would be underwhelmed and wanting more. In the same breath, I don't want to take it to extremes and have an obnoxious exhaust waking the neighbors and drawing attention in the office parking lot. The latter is what I fear may be the case with the ACM method.

I appreciate your feedback and opportunity to hear these cars uncorked in person! If anybody is going to the BMW CCA National Capital Chapter - Columbia Social on May 8th at the Greene Turtle I will be there, and that would be a great way to meet up and hear some S65 exhaust tunes!
Just saw this. I live in Bel Air so definitely local. I have the ACM Exhaust Mod. Let me know when you want to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #42
Spryan
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92

I live in parkville and have the ACM mod as well
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #43
simpleM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 06' E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
19’ BMW M5C  [0.00]
2007 E61 530XI  [0.00]
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
How much is it to get the ACM or the perforated pipes done? Where?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #44
stiles
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple330i View Post
How much is it to get the ACM or the perforated pipes done? Where?
I made a thread recently about my experience at Zury's, they did the perforated method. Sounds awesome.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150042
Appreciate 0