BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

01-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #67
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I have to lock in my order for a 335is today.

I don't know what a combox is number one that everyone is talking about. BUT..

In order to get BMW Remote, do I need to add 609 and only 6NR. I ordered the iPod/USB already. From what I see is that 6NF is not necessary if you have the iPod/USB?

If I add 6NR, will this kill my holiday cash and option rebate for DCT tranny and put the car in a March build????

What about the iPhone cradle that is coming without iDrive? Will it allow the BMW remote app?
1) not sure
2) AFAIK, if you pay for the car before your loan lock then you still get the discount, but this likely means signing the papers prior to the car arriving (depending on your build week)
3) AFAIK, the iphone cradle is part of the 6nf phone integration (although the cradle is extra i beleive)

ask your dealer today if they can even see 6nr in the system. i'd really like to know when we can order it.
      01-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #68
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2k11 335is

I don't know yet.

I'm heading down there today to see. When I asked about the 6NR I only got talked out of adding iDrive to my order and just use my phone. I have a portable nav and don't like it. It falls off the window when driving. My iPhone google maps is not good enough to use. I could add an iPhone navigation app. So the iPhone app and mount yet unannounced seems interesting BUT they only showed it for the X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Have you actually been given the capability to add option 6NR from your dealer? If so, what was the charge?

The Combox (6VC) was added as a standard feature in September 2010, so it will just show up a as a line item on your order. The specifics around 6NR and reuired options are still very murky - unless you have some info from your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #69
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm heading down there today to see. When I asked about the 6NR I only got talked out of adding iDrive to my order and just use my phone. I have a portable nav and don't like it. It falls off the window when driving. My iPhone google maps is not good enough to use. I could add an iPhone navigation app. So the iPhone app and mount yet unannounced seems interesting BUT they only showed it for the X3.
pls ask your dealer to look for option 6nr in his system. let us know if it is there available for optioning at this point. i'm eager to know when it goes live.

thanks!
      01-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #70
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
I have to lock in my order for a 335is today.

I don't know what a combox is number one that everyone is talking about. BUT..
You should at least make an effort to know if you have so many unrelated questions, don't you think?

Quote:
In order to get BMW Remote, do I need to add 609 and only 6NR. I ordered the iPod/USB already. From what I see is that 6NF is not necessary if you have the iPod/USB?
BMW Remote requires SA633, Assist with Bluetooth and that's it.

6NR does not have anything to do with BMW Remote.

Quote:
If I add 6NR, will this kill my holiday cash and option rebate for DCT tranny and put the car in a March build????
See above.

Quote:
What about the iPhone cradle that is coming without iDrive? Will it allow the BMW remote app?
The iPhone cradle does not have anything to do with BMW Remote. That's the whole point of the "Remote" part.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #71
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer really didn't have any more info.

From all that I've seen including a 6NR marketing release, the 6NR is related to iPhone and media apps only. The initial features are web radio, twitter, etc and opens the door for other apps. What I don't know is if the "BMW Remote" application can only be used with 6NR or just BMW Connect of the iDrive.

For me what I'm after is the BMW remote features which allow you to lock/unlock your car, remote turn on the AC/Heat, etc. It is not clear the relationship between BMW Remote and BMW Connect and iDrive or non-iDrive.

The salesperson believes that 6NR can only be ordered after March. On this basis I didn't add navigation on my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
pls ask your dealer to look for option 6nr in his system. let us know if it is there available for optioning at this point. i'm eager to know when it goes live.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #72
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
From all that I've seen including a 6NR marketing release, the 6NR is related to iPhone and media apps only. The initial features are web radio, twitter, etc and opens the door for other apps. What I don't know is if the "BMW Remote" application can only be used with 6NR or just BMW Connect of the iDrive.

For me what I'm after is the BMW remote features which allow you to lock/unlock your car, remote turn on the AC/Heat, etc. It is not clear the relationship between BMW Remote and BMW Connect and iDrive or non-iDrive.

The salesperson believes that 6NR can only be ordered after March. On this basis I didn't add navigation on my order.
BMW Remote is currently working on cars even before COMBOX. I believe the only requirement for BMW Remote is BMW Assist. If you do not have a BMW Assist account you can not log into BMW Remote on the iPhone.

So as Technic stated above, "BMW Remote requires SA633, Assist with Bluetooth and that's it.".

Also note that BMW Remote is not officially released in the United States. For those that got it working here in the US by downloading the app using a UK account, only the Lock/Unlock feature and the car locator feature (as long as you are within 1500meter radius of the car) is available.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #73
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

I did my research. The questions aren't unrelated.

All my questions are surrounding whether to get navigation and the implications of not getting it.

I have the premium package so your response is mute in that regard. There is no official material that tells me that BMW remote only requires BMW Assist with Bluetooth and any marketing coverage of the feature shows this feature in relation to vehicles with nav in them and no distiction that nav isn't required.

I read the BMW marketing newsletter to dealers about 6NR and came to my own conclusion that it extends BMW Connected Drive to allow apps. NOW, "BMW Remote" being an app and there being no material that explains that "BMW Remote" has nothing to do with 6NR which opens the door for apps, then I can't conclude that they aren't related. I can take your word for it if you somehow have more internal knowledge than anyone else.

I found already that the cradle is not related and if you have iPod/USB. The BMW marketing material on 6NR actually indicates the cradle is required! Based on what I've seen and read however, it appears that it may not be and their material is wrong.

I think you got me wrong and I used the wrong terminology. I was not talking about the "Snap-in Adapter for the iPhone". I was talking about this: BMW Station for Apple iPhone.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc.../connectivity/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You should at least make an effort to know if you have so many unrelated questions, don't you think?

BMW Remote requires SA633, Assist with Bluetooth and that's it.

6NR does not have anything to do with BMW Remote.

See above.

The iPhone cradle does not have anything to do with BMW Remote. That's the whole point of the "Remote" part.

Last edited by KevinJ; 01-22-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #74
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, this was helpful.

I only saw videos of this feature and also on BMW's site where they offer no detail. I didn't know that it wasn't available because none of what we're talking about with 6NR and its potential features are available. That's the whole point of being here. Also I spent a few hours of useless wandering and searching for answers from people that didn't have them and these are my first rambling posts on the subject because if I don't make changes to my order this week, it will be to late and therefore I needed quick answers.

The "COMBOX" is new to me since I'm in a E46 right now and moving into first E92/335is. As I understand that I will have COMBOX but I didn't yet have time to figure out what it does other than I heard it opens the door for media/bluetooth access, considering that I will have it automatically, it wasn't concerning me to research something I was getting already.

The sales person printed my order sheet and it is listed.

Bottom line from what I've learned here:

I have premium package and therefore BMW Remote would work but is not available in the U.S. therefore who cares until its available or a hack is available.

I'll figure out more about COMBOX with my own research and what it offers using "Search" or Google.

The 6NR feature is usless to continue to research because it isn't available unless your taking a March or later production build. If I wait I will lose $1500 holiday cash, and $1575 DCT tranny discount for probably a $200 feature to I can crash my car trying to Twitter someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerM View Post
BMW Remote is currently working on cars even before COMBOX. I believe the only requirement for BMW Remote is BMW Assist. If you do not have a BMW Assist account you can not log into BMW Remote on the iPhone.

So as Technic stated above, "BMW Remote requires SA633, Assist with Bluetooth and that's it.".

Also note that BMW Remote is not officially released in the United States. For those that got it working here in the US by downloading the app using a UK account, only the Lock/Unlock feature and the car locator feature (as long as you are within 1500meter radius of the car) is available.

Last edited by KevinJ; 01-22-2011 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #75
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
If I wait I will lose $1500 holiday cash, and $1575 DCT tranny discount for probably a $200 feature to I can crash my car trying to Twitter someone.
Not so sure about that DCT discount for the M3.
      01-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #76
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for probably a $200 feature to I can crash my car trying to Twitter someone.
lol whatever.
      01-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #77
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The "COMBOX" is new to me since I'm in a E46 right now and moving into first E92/335is. As I understand that I will have COMBOX but I didn't yet have time to figure out what it does other than I heard it opens the door for media/bluetooth access, considering that I will have it automatically, it wasn't concerning me to research something I was getting already.

The sales person printed my order sheet and it is listed.

Bottom line from what I've learned here:

I have premium package and therefore BMW Remote would work but is not available in the U.S. therefore who cares until its available or a hack is available.

I'll figure out more about COMBOX with my own research and what it offers using "Search" or Google.

The 6NR feature is usless to continue to research because it isn't available unless your taking a March or later production build. If I wait I will lose $1500 holiday cash, and $1575 DCT tranny discount for probably a $200 feature to I can crash my car trying to Twitter someone.
In regards to BMW Remote, you don't have to believe me nor Technic, you can make your own conclusion. I can't say for sure if Navigation is required or not, I can only tell you that I do have Navigation on my car. However, like I said, folks on this board with production date as far back as 2008 got BMW Remote working using their BMW Assist account.

Note that the BMW Remote App is just an APP on the iPhone. It's not integrated to the Navigation or will it ever show up on the iDrive Navigation screen. It's a seperate app that only runs on the iPhone/iPad/etc.

Again, you don't have to believe me, you can check out this thread on the "BMW Remote" app: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467724

As for Navigation:
The 2008 Model year has the CCC Navigation which is older and DVD based.
The 2009 - pre Sept 2010 has the CIC Navigation with HDD Based Navigation.
The Sept 2010 - present included COMBOX.

If you search for other threads on COMBOX (as you probably already have) you can find info on it but like you said, until March we really won't know if it'll work on current model year cars. Like you I have been trying to dig more info on COMBOX.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #78
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

This is very simple -and I'm not being condescending: this 6NR discussion is based on OEM information posted in this Bimmerpost forum.

A quick "BMW Remote" Google search will tell you all about it, including that even 2008 BMW support it as long as Assist/Telematics (SA639 or SA633 from now on) is included. Which makes sense as you need some Telematic system in the car to receive remote signals hundreds of feet away. No Bluetooth or keyfob unit has that long of a reach.

Then another search for 6NR here will tell you that this coming-soon option allows iDrive display and control of several online sites (Twitter, Facebook and Internet Radio) thru an iPhone app. So right there you should conclude that 6NR requires 6NF, 6FL (as before, nothing new here), and 609 Navigation...or how do you think that you are going to see those online sites?

This cradle "issue" is a non-issue: option 6NF -Smartphone Integration- has been always an electronic baseplate. You attach particular phones cradles to that baseplate. That's the way it works since at least MY2003- a baseplate and a cradle for a particular phone. It used to be that only a dumb baseplate was available and only as an accessory. Now with the 6NF/6NR this baseplate is a factory option, an electronic interface for Smartphones. The cradle then is the only accessory now -unless you do not want/did not order any Smartphone integration and get the dumb baseplate version at your dealer to place your phone in the console.

The 6NR is the next baseplate generation, an Enhanced Smartphone Integration. And the cradles for the 6NR are based on the online features that will become available after 03/11 production, and still you will have to buy them as an accessory.

The link that you posted below applies to accessories, and if you look closely they are iPhone-based, not iDrive based.

Good luck.

Quote:
All my questions are surrounding whether to get navigation and the implications of not getting it.

I have the premium package so your response is mute in that regard. There is no official material that tells me that BMW remote only requires BMW Assist with Bluetooth and any marketing coverage of the feature shows this feature in relation to vehicles with nav in them and no distiction that nav isn't required.

I read the BMW marketing newsletter to dealers about 6NR and came to my own conclusion that it extends BMW Connected Drive to allow apps. NOW, "BMW Remote" being an app and there being no material that explains that "BMW Remote" has nothing to do with 6NR which opens the door for apps, then I can't conclude that they aren't related. I can take your word for it if you somehow have more internal knowledge than anyone else.

I found already that the cradle is not related and if you have iPod/USB. The BMW marketing material on 6NR actually indicates the cradle is required! Based on what I've seen and read however, it appears that it may not be and their material is wrong.

I think you got me wrong and I used the wrong terminology. I was not talking about the "Snap-in Adapter for the iPhone". I was talking about this: BMW Station for Apple iPhone.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc.../connectivity/

Last edited by Technic; 01-23-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #79
330iTiAg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

I think his DCT discount was on a 335is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Not so sure about that DCT discount for the M3.

Mods: Full Venture Shield protection kit, RPi scoops, Euro fog light switch, LUX V4, clear reflectors, OEM black chrome grilles and side gills, black hood vents, IND F10 M5 shift knob and boot
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #80
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Good break-down for those wondering about these features.

This follows what I've researched before and now have pulled the details together. I'm getting a 335is...even though this is the M3 forum, the 6NR discussion applies to all. There's an in-car wireless option coming also which will allow you to insert a SIM or your internet enabled phone into the cradle. I have lame ATT with the iPhone 4 under the previous unlimited plan which doesn't allow tethering for free.

I will not be adding NAV to my car at this point after messing around with it at the dealer. Being cost conscious I can get the new iPhone 5, iPad 2, and BMW holders for these and still be ahead. Either that, I'm hoping portable NAV makers will release wide screen versions. The NAV screen is really nice and seeing it in and outside the car, everyone seems to get it, but the implementation of it is weak and creates a hump distraction on the dash (my personal opinion). I will wait for BMW Link and the BMW Station for iPhone and maybe the next round 2013 or later get NAV. The BMW Link/Station will give most of the features including navigation, BMW Connect features, etc. on a smaller screen and I'm hoping a full release of BMW Remote. The only thing is that these features aren't integrated fully with the car such as reading Email or news, iDrive, etc.

As far as BMW Remote, seems like some people have it working and others are having problems. One person said they have location and remote unlock. Others say just remote unlock. Being technically inclined I'm sure I can figure it out unless BMW closes the hole that allows non-UK people to enable it.

Quote:
This is very simple -and I'm not being condescending: this 6NR discussion is based on OEM information posted in this Bimmerpost forum.

A quick "BMW Remote" Google search will tell you all about it, including that even 2008 BMW support it as long as Assist/Telematics (SA639 or SA633 from now on) is included. Which makes sense as you need some Telematic system in the car to receive remote signals hundreds of feet away. No Bluetooth or keyfob unit has that long of a reach.

Then another search for 6NR here will tell you that this coming-soon option allows iDrive display and control of several online sites (Twitter, Facebook and Internet Radio) thru an iPhone app. So right there you should conclude that 6NR requires 6NF, 6FL (as before, nothing new here), and 609 Navigation...or how do you think that you are going to see those online sites?

This cradle "issue" is a non-issue: option 6NF -Smartphone Integration- has been always an electronic baseplate. You attach particular phones cradles to that baseplate. That's the way it works since at least MY2003- a baseplate and a cradle for a particular phone. It used to be that only a dumb baseplate was available and only as an accessory. Now with the 6NF/6NR this baseplate is a factory option, an electronic interface for Smartphones. The cradle then is the only accessory now -unless you do not want/did not order any Smartphone integration and get the dumb baseplate version at your dealer to place your phone in the console.

The 6NR is the next baseplate generation, an Enhanced Smartphone Integration. And the cradles for the 6NR are based on the online features that will become available after 03/11 production, and still you will have to buy them as an accessory.

The link that you posted below applies to accessories, and if you look closely they are iPhone-based, not iDrive based.

Good luck.

Last edited by KevinJ; 01-23-2011 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #81
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This follows what I've researched before and now have pulled the details together. I'm getting a 335is...even though this is the M3 forum, the 6NR discussion applies to all. There's an in-car wireless option coming also which will allow you to insert a SIM or your internet enabled phone into the cradle. I have lame ATT with the iPhone 4 under the previous unlimited plan which doesn't allow tethering for free.
I have to agree with you there. AT&T has rediculous fees for everything. You have to pay "extra" to use data from the data plan you already paid for. Talk about double-dipping!!

Quote:
The NAV screen is really nice and seeing it in and outside the car, everyone seems to get it, but the implementation of it is weak and creates a hump distraction on the dash (my personal opinion).
I'm not sure of your seating position or how tall you are but for me, the hump is not blocking my line of site over the hood. If anything, on the M3, the hood buldge is more noticable while the iDrive hump doesn't interfere with anything. I can easily see the whole windsheild. Just tossing this out there in case you change your mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #82
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

For the sake of completeness and those that might be following this thread, I wanted to link to ksoze's discussion w/ retrofitters at the link below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8751416

Last edited by joelk; 01-24-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #83
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hopefully the software can be flashed easily and will be available either through a helpful local bmw store or a 3rd party.
I hope they post the update on http://www.bmw.com/update. When you go into the iDrive and go to the section for software updates, it looks for an external USB drive for updates. It also tells you to go to the site above to check for updates. Hopefully it'll show up for download and make our life easier without having to visit the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #84
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope they post the update on http://www.bmw.com/update. When you go into the iDrive and go to the section for software updates, it looks for an external USB drive for updates. It also tells you to go to the site above to check for updates. Hopefully it'll show up for download and make our life easier without having to visit the dealer.
wow that would be amazing ... so logical it makes me dubious
      01-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #85
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
wow that would be amazing ... so logical it makes me dubious
The Combox is designed especifically for these device updates by the customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #86
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Combox is designed especifically for these device updates by the customer.
true but if they are charging a separate fee to add 6nr to an order (assuming the fee isn't for the clip-in) then I would wonder why they would post if for free on their site.
      01-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #87
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
true but if they are charging a separate fee to add 6nr to an order (assuming the fee isn't for the clip-in) then I would wonder why they would post if for free on their site.
It is still unclear if there is even a charge in the U.S. for the mysterious 6NR option. Have yet to find a confirmed listing of its existence on a U.S. order sheet, much less a price. The fact there is a fee in the UK market may not mean much as they price things different.

I believe the main thrust currently behind the bmw.com/bluetooth download site was to allow customers to download updated bluetooth profiles to the Combox through USB for the ever evolving phone market. If it is also to allow for software updates related to apps, etc. then even better. This capability is referenced in Section 4.7 of the Combox technical docs but does not specifically mention updating more than bluetooth profiles..

Also as you noted, according to the boys over at the retrofitters threads, 6NR will also require an update to the CIC software which may require a trip to a dealer.
      01-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #88
KevinJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I'm on the fence about it.

Apparently if you have a new data plan that is data limited, you can do tethering, unlimited data plan = no tethering. Seems unfair, either that or switch to Verizon now or pay the piper.

I keep going back and forth on NAV and running out of time. The 8.8" screen is nice but a $2k bump in price isn't . The NAV itself adds $35 per month alone. Its hard to justify beyond "seems like most get the NAV option".

The feature integration of searching on my phone and sending map coordinates to my car seems nice but isn't yet available. Remote unlock "not really available" and remote climate control and timer is not available. Just bad timing for it all to be worked out with the new feature set that may or may not be available for retrofit. Maybe I'll regret it later but who knows by 2013 when the new one comes out.

Quote:
I have to agree with you there. AT&T has rediculous fees for everything. You have to pay "extra" to use data from the data plan you already paid for. Talk about double-dipping!!

I'm not sure of your seating position or how tall you are but for me, the hump is not blocking my line of site over the hood. If anything, on the M3, the hood buldge is more noticable while the iDrive hump doesn't interfere with anything. I can easily see the whole windsheild. Just tossing this out there in case you change your mind.
Appreciate 0