BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

07-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
frappiculo
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3 ZCP

2011 BMW M3 Engine Won't Turn On

Hello guys

Due to accident that I had back in March the car has been sitting since then. As today 7/18/2018 my car was ready to pick up and my mechanic told me to bring a brand new battery because it was dead. I replaced the battery with a brand new one and he installed it properly. When he wanted to turn on the engine it does not turn on. The starter work properly and we can smell the gas from the mufflers and it won't turn on. We tried everything and searched the internet, youtube etc and still nothing.

This is what he believes: The ECU was tuned back in 2017 October with Active Autowerke Tune and he thinks I have to RETUNE the car in order to start the engine. Is that true? He tried to contact the BMW to get a reset code by providing the VIN number but the first two codes did not work. So what should I?

This is how the problem is:
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

My guess is you must start the car to be able to flash a file. Did AA give you files so that you can flash it back to stock. And then back to your tune again when you want?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
frappiculo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
My guess is you must start the car to be able to flash a file. Did AA give you files so that you can flash it back to stock. And then back to your tune again when you want?
Yes but I don't know how much true that is to start up the engine though? The lights come on to turn on the engine and the engine just does not want to fire up. I guess I will have to tow it to the place where I got the tune. Pain in the azz for real.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
1DarkChaos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m3

ur mechanic told u to bring a battery?
u r telling me ur mechanic dont have a charger or cannot get u a battery to test it before delivery?
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34448.50
      07-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frappiculo View Post
Quote:
Yes but I don't know how much true that is to start up the engine though? The lights come on to turn on the engine and the engine just does not want to fire up. I guess I will have to tow it to the place where I got the tune. Pain in the azz for real.
When I got my tune, engine had to be running when he flashed the ECU. I'm assuming the reset you are taking about will being the ECU back to stock. I agree with above comment on the battery, I'm not convinced on the ability of your mechanic in regard to the M3. Not a knock on the mechanic as you can't know every car in the world but...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
frappiculo
Private
Rep

He is not a mechanic he is a body shop owner. I have to make it clear lol. I had a warranty on the battery so I replaced the old one with a brand new one. He tried to recharge the old one but did not work so I had to get a brand new one.

He says that earlier the car was running and he had a chance to run the car to the next door shop which is a BMW Technician but not the one who tuned my car back in 2017.

I honestly don't believe him and I am going to tow the car if the can't fix the car tomorrow by 3pm. I am just looking for help on this forum in order to start up the engine so that I can go to my mechanic instead of paying towing cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sign up with AAA tomorrow. I do not believe that there is a grace period. Sign up and find out, it's only $59 per year. Also, if you have a friend who has AAA, you can use their membership if they are with you. Call for a flat bed FYI. You do not want to see your M3 hooked onto a regular tow. Sign up regardless if you get your answer by 3pm tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
EnVe461037.50
      07-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
frappiculo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sign up with AAA tomorrow. I do not believe that there is a grace period. Sign up and find out, it's only $59 per year. Also, if you have a friend who has AAA, you can use their membership if they are with you. Call for a flat bed FYI. You do not want to see your M3 hooked onto a regular tow. Sign up regardless if you get your answer by 3pm tomorrow.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
THIS!!! For the low cost of the yearly membership, even the top one I did, its well worth it. Make your money back in one tow. Ive used it to get my car back from the shop when I didn't have time to go pick it up hahaha

Also, if you can smell fuel Id be careful trying to start it with raw fuel in the cylinders.