BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

10-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

calling all with x pipes and remaps

Hi guys I've recently acquired my e92 m3 and would like some reviews from the guys that have x pipes and a remap if possible. What sort of bhp can you expect and what part of the rev range is improved? Coming from a 335d I'm use to low down pull which I'm struggling to get use to in the m3. I think the mid range could do with been a bit more lively.

Many thanks

Andy
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
x pipes alone will not gain you more power ....you need to have the full decat system and a remap with probably net you an extra 15-25 bhp(depending on which system you fit )....and if money is no object then fit some aftermarket exhaust maniflow as well , or better still just bolt a supercharger kit on then you have all the power that you every will need !!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
andy9188
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: van

i would love the evolve supercharger kit but thats out of budget for now. but thinking about it theres no point in spending 2-3 k on remaps and exhaust components when i could save up and put it towards the sc fund
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9188 View Post
i would love the evolve supercharger kit but thats out of budget for now. but thinking about it theres no point in spending 2-3 k on remaps and exhaust components when i could save up and put it towards the sc fund
there you go ...very logical but then you will need 4wd to tame the beast

for the bhp gain against the cost involved ...I would just leave as standard, and if you really need more power go the supercharging route but be warned modiflying M3s are not cheap compare to some Jap mobile.
you can get 600+bhp from a stock Nissan Gtr for £2-3k outlay wheres the M3 need at least £9K+ to achieve similar bhp upgrade

i have a Subaru Impreza P1 running 460Bhp/420lbs/ft torque which is much faster than my E90 M3, that has 4wd so no problem with traction( although it can still spin the rears in 2nd gear !! ).

another option is you can fit a Dinan big bore v8 from the state but that again is mega bucks to do !

Last edited by hugehead; 10-29-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy9188 View Post
Hi guys I've recently acquired my e92 m3 and would like some reviews from the guys that have x pipes and a remap if possible. What sort of bhp can you expect and what part of the rev range is improved? Coming from a 335d I'm use to low down pull which I'm struggling to get use to in the m3. I think the mid range could do with been a bit more lively.

Many thanks

Andy
The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the primary cats. You can either remove them or buy am x-pipe from Evolve or Akrapovic which has them removed plus has high flow secondary cats. I have the Evolve stage 2 (X-pipes, remap V3 and BMC filter) and the power and torque went from 414bhp / 295lb ft to 458bhp and 330lb ft. The sound is amazing with WOT but like stock when cruising.

The difference this makes on the road is massive and maximises the massive flat torque curve that the S65 engine has. I have over 90% max torque for over more than 6k RPM rev range.

The difference around 3k RPM to stock is big but it's the pull to the red line with the additional kick at 6.5k RPM (from the Evolve map) that is a real joy to exploit.

Where turbo diesels fall flat on their face at around 4k RPM and indeed some start losing torque after 2K, you need to exploit the performance from 3k RPM and above to make mighty progress.
Appreciate 0