BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

07-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Failed Clear Coat?

So after washing the car I noticed on the driver side rear door handle there are these weird rough spots. Is this failed clear coat? I don't recall it looking like this when I bought it in Sept but I could have missed it as I don't inspect the rear door handle often. Either way what is this? what do I do about it? maybe do nothing?

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

That handle has been repainted. If that is the only part with the issue, you can get it properly redone this time so it doesn't happen again.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
That handle has been repainted. If that is the only part with the issue, you can get it properly redone this time so it doesn't happen again.
as far as I know. I had a detailer paint correct and coat the car and he used a paint depth gauge and showed me that it all seemed consistent.

He did say the car appeared to be in a body shop at some point because there was over spray of clear coat on the car from being near another car that was painted that he had to buff off on the passenger side (opposite this), but the paint readings looked consistent across the car's panels.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
as far as I know. I had a detailer paint correct and coat the car and he used a paint depth gauge and showed me that it all seemed consistent.

He did say the car appeared to be in a body shop at some point because there was clear over spray on the car that he had to buff off on the passenger side (opposite this) but the paint readings looked consistent across the car.
Looking at the orange peel and visible "dirt" in the clear - this has been repainted for sure.

You can tell resprays by paint thickness (our cars are 6 micros or less from OE), increased orange peel (shops can wet sand and polish, but they usually don't do edges or creases), and you may find dirt (dust specs) in the paint, suggesting a paint booth environment that wasn't OE.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Quote:
Quote:

He did say the car appeared to be in a body shop at some point because there was over spray of clear coat on the car from being near another car that was painted that he had to buff off on the passenger side (opposite this), but the paint readings looked consistent across the car's panels.
You don't really need a paint depth gauge for this one. Just by looking at the handle, it's evident that it is not original paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You don't really need a paint depth gauge for this one. Just by looking at the handle, it's evident that it is not original paint.
the paint gauge was used on the panels. my point was it doesn't appear the door etc was repainted at any point.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
the paint gauge was used on the panels. my point was it doesn't appear the door etc was repainted at any point.
The door may not have been repainted, but that handle certainly was at some point judging by the texture of the orange peel. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person, but that could be some sort of adhesive (from tape maybe?) if it's above the paint or it could be failed clear coat if it's less thick than the surrounding paint.

Most paint gauges can't measure plastic panels. Those that can are >$2k. You could always ask your detailer what kind of gauge he uses and if he's able to give you a reading on plastic/composite parts to confirm.

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

To answer your original question of what to do, you have basically two options.

You can have the handle redone professionally with base coat/clearcoat, or you can very carefully wet sand it to feather the edges where the clearcoat has peeled and re-clear it. You would have to be cautious not to sand through the basecoat, especially since it does appear to be a re-spray.

Option two will not give perfect results, but could buy you time by stopping the lifting and protecting the base coat.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
The door may not have been repainted, but that handle certainly was at some point judging by the texture of the orange peel. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person, but that could be some sort of adhesive (from tape maybe?) if it's above the paint or it could be failed clear coat if it's less thick than the surrounding paint.

Most paint gauges can't measure plastic panels. Those that can are >$2k. You could always ask your detailer what kind of gauge he uses and if he's able to give you a reading on plastic/composite parts to confirm.
I talked to him he said he didn't do any plastic parts because his gauge won't work on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

I've seen failed ceramic coatings look like that too.
Appreciate 0