BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

07-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #397
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
warp

Nope, only the steering wheel controls work. I assume this is because the bottom buttons are part of the headunit, hence can't be intercepted.
Confirmed. They do not change tracks. I had never tried those because I never use them...
      07-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #398
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
warp

Nope, only the steering wheel controls work. I assume this is because the bottom buttons are part of the headunit, hence can't be intercepted.
JoyAuto doesn't mention this in their marketing picture I posted a few pages back too. I agree with your assumption that it may be a limitation.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #399
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapout2taxes View Post
Ok I am starting to get confused... is there a unit out there that will allow me to play the radio while at the same time getting the directions from Waze. Both coming over the built in speakers?
Not with the current add-on carplay boxes. You'd need the AVINUSA or a retrofit.
      07-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #400
Beven32
Rep
Drives: bmw f10

UPDATE (Poor audio quality)
I recieved a message from my seller today saying "it's not ready yet, but revised the cables."

I am not to sure if I will be sent a new cable and have to rewire it.. Any others that are having poor audio quality issues please tell me if you have made any progress with this ?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #401
Beven32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooksdaddy View Post
you got Android auto to work? what phone? I've been on the fence since a few people couldn't get it to come up
I have a samsung s10+ Make sure you have the android auto app installed, And it should work on most phones.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #402
Beven32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coniman View Post
This is the version my system has:

And how it looks like

It tries to connect to every paired iPhone in order until it finds one in range.

BTW, I'm still having bad audio quality via AUX . Maybe this software version has a bug. Does yours sound good in that version?

Also I've tried to do factory reset but asks me for a code, 0000 1234 and 8362 doesn't work.
Try: 68612

I managed to get into factory settings with this code. Changed audio profiles, And still no improvement to the sound quality I was told by my seller today that they are working on a new cable that will fix this maybe.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #403
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beven32 View Post
UPDATE (Poor audio quality)
I recieved a message from my seller today saying "it's not ready yet, but revised the cables."

I am not to sure if I will be sent a new cable and have to rewire it.. Any others that are having poor audio quality issues please tell me if you have made any progress with this ?
I wonder if they think the poor audio is coming from the AUX cable? That's interesting.

The quality is not terrible, but its not as good as the other sources on the car. Something is making it sound like it has a flat response even though I am pushing equalizer settings through Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #404
warp
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 320i F31 LCI sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I wonder if they think the poor audio is coming from the AUX cable? That's interesting.

The quality is not terrible, but its not as good as the other sources on the car. Something is making it sound like it has a flat response even though I am pushing equalizer settings through Spotify.
From what I’ve read on different forums it looks more like a bad internal routing on the circuit board itself, and will definitely not be solved by the external cable.
But who knows, I will maybe be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #405
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp View Post
From what I’ve read on different forums it looks more like a bad internal routing on the circuit board itself, and will definitely not be solved by the external cable.
But who knows, I will maybe be surprised.

That sounds way worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #406
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Question for everyone. Was there a sticky backing on the back of the attennas that we are supposed to peel off and stick to the back of the unit? Looks like it in coniman's picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #407
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
Question for everyone. Was there a sticky backing on the back of the attennas that we are supposed to peel off and stick to the back of the unit? Looks like it in coniman's picture:
I stuck it to the back. Maybe its right??
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #408
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

I wasn't happy having the box under the glovebox trim. I took out the glovebox itself and velcroed it above the glovebox housing.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #409
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Nice derbo! I found a spot at the bottom of the glove box to the back where I was able to slot the unit. But the spot you found looks more roomy. My location ends up being right behind the vent in the second picture after I pushed it all the way up. I am going to have to go back in there to hook up the reverse camera and properly stick the attennas to the back of the unit, and may consider moving it. How much effort was it to remove the glove box? It looks like you had to remove the trim and the cupholder section as well?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #410
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
Nice derbo! I found a spot at the bottom of the glove box to the back where I was able to slot the unit. But the spot you found looks more roomy. My location ends up being right behind the vent in the second picture after I pushed it all the way up. I am going to have to go back in there to hook up the reverse camera and properly stick the attennas to the back of the unit, and may consider moving it. How much effort was it to remove the glove box? It looks like you had to remove the trim and the cupholder section as well?
The location where you pointed looks better than just the original location flat in the area I had it.

You got it! The cupholders need to be removed as they have a peg that goes into the glovebox housing preventing you from removing it. It will be a major pain in the ass to remove but I like it up there better as the wires seem to have better slack. I don't really use the USB wired part from the module since its wireless so I left the USB tucked on the tunnel trim on the passenger side. This will at least give me access to the USB for software updates.

As Beven32 said, I have expressed my disappointment in the audio quality of the box to the vendor. Michael said the engineers are working on a software update but I have a feeling it is related to the DAC more than anything. It feels like there is a bandpass filter or a High pass filter.

FWIW, I plugged in my Tune2AIR Bluetooth streaming adapter and there was Bass present. The Tune2Air uses USB for controls in the CIC unit, and AUX in for audio. Clearly they figured out DAC on their module. I'm using this setup since I do not have a COMBOX and I thought the Kremersino unit would skip that step since I wanted ACP.

Hopefully they figure out the audio issues out.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #411
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

dextersl

I almost want to redo my stuff again and shove my box there too! Maybe if they send us new cables or something.. I'll do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #412
warp
Luxembourg
Rep

Kremersino is currently 10% off.
But should we buy it or wait ? Will they really fix the sound issue without a hardware revision ?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #413
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp View Post
Kremersino is currently 10% off.
But should we buy it or wait ? Will they really fix the sound issue without a hardware revision ?
Thats a question you need to ask yourself.

I value ACP on the big screen so even if the audio is subpar, I'm happy that is on there. I hope they fix the sound issue but it is also not the end of the world as when I get to a mountain road, audio is on mute for the engine soundtrack.

Obviously others have different priorities and this lack of bass may deter people from buying it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #414
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think the audio quality overall is quite good, but as has been stated, the bass is definitely lacking. If that matters, and you mainly use your phone for music streaming, then you won't be completely thrilled. I'm also not sure if they can address this w/o a hardware change, but I'm no audio engineer. My bigger gripe right now is the poor audio from the microphone. That HAS to be fixed or else this is kind of a waste IMHO, since using Siri becomes much more difficult.
      07-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #415
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
I think the audio quality overall is quite good, but as has been stated, the bass is definitely lacking. If that matters, and you mainly use your phone for music streaming, then you won't be completely thrilled. I'm also not sure if they can address this w/o a hardware change, but I'm no audio engineer. My bigger gripe right now is the poor audio from the microphone. That HAS to be fixed or else this is kind of a waste IMHO, since using Siri becomes much more difficult.
Is this correct issues at the moment?
  • Lack of bass in Audio - I set my Hifi to lowest AUX gain, Tone set to max bass, 2-3 notches below max for treble. This SCREWS UP other sources tone to make it almost unusable.
  • large background noise from mic
  • Siri not working properly with mic?
  • Sometimes wireless connection does not connect. (I found this to be the case if I was near my home WiFi and it connected to my home one faster than the carplay Wifi during the BT negotiation to use the carplay wifi.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:12 AM   #416
theunholy
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Is this correct issues at the moment?
  • Lack of bass in Audio - I set my Hifi to lowest AUX gain, Tone set to max bass, 2-3 notches below max for treble. This SCREWS UP other sources tone to make it almost unusable.
  • large background noise from mic
  • Siri not working properly with mic?
  • Sometimes wireless connection does not connect. (I found this to be the case if I was near my home WiFi and it connected to my home one faster than the carplay Wifi during the BT negotiation to use the carplay wifi.
And for some reason when going from idrive to Carplay, Holding the Menu button will bring me to AV1 and AV2... then after pressing the menu few more time then it gets me to ACP....
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 02:26 AM   #417
warp
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Thats a question you need to ask yourself.

I value ACP on the big screen so even if the audio is subpar, I'm happy that is on there. I hope they fix the sound issue but it is also not the end of the world as when I get to a mountain road, audio is on mute for the engine soundtrack.

Obviously others have different priorities and this lack of bass may deter people from buying it.
I'm definitely asking this to myself
I will order it. ACP will mainly, if not only, be used for Waze.
So I don't really care about the sound quality.
...and I will write a message to kremersino to know when the new cable will be sent.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:49 AM   #418
warp
Luxembourg
Rep

I just ordered one : 262€.
Let's see in 1 week or 2.
Appreciate 0