BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #45
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Had OEM x-pipe and back box mod with welded pipes in place.
But recently went with supersprint race backbox.

OEM / xpipe mod - super screaming loud under load. Stock normally. Zero drone. Very raspy flooring it. Loudest thing on earth.

New supersprint, drone at 1500-2000rpm. Smooth, bassy sound. Not as loud. Sounds exotic. But I miss the crazy old OEM.

1) not sure if I can stand the drone, 2) miss the crazy fun of the mod

More more videos on my channel.

05-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #46
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Any sound clips? Arent too many floating around on the AA exhaust.
Ill see if I can find my video camera and make one.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #47
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Fun time over with OEM Mod.
Here is my new exhaust setup

06-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #48
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

I would highly recommend listening to the exhaust you want to purchase live. Web exhaust videos are good but you won't know exactly how it sounds. I'm happy with my exhaust but it didn't sound anything like the videos.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #49
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had an Eisenmann Race and loved it. Best catback for combined looks and sound.

Now I have a full Innotech valved exhaust and I dont think anything beats that sound with the valves open. Everywhere I go ppl love it..... unless they are driving behind me (catless) lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #50
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker30 View Post
I would highly recommend listening to the exhaust you want to purchase live. Web exhaust videos are good but you won't know exactly how it sounds. I'm happy with my exhaust but it didn't sound anything like the videos.
Wish I could, difficult to find M3s around, let alone the exact exhaust I want
      06-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #51
justrx
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605
No one ever talks about the Dinan exhaust. 0 drone, keep your warranty, nice clean sound, and it's so much cheaper than MPE
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #52
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Can't easily get Dinan here in the UK
Mine does drone 1-2k rpm. But get use to it, be gentle or work around it.
Do love the bass and rasp still. Sounds very nice and aggressive. Feel da power!

06-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #53
jet888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

I would love for someone to commission an MPE evo? That surely would be phenomenal sound and cost wise?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #54
epbb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet888 View Post
I would love for someone to commission an MPE evo? That surely would be phenomenal sound and cost wise?
Are you suggesting an Evo X-Pipe, and an MPE Axle-back? If so, the primary issue with that is that Akrapovic will not sell the X-Pipe by itself, so the only way you can do that, is if you find someone selling a used one. This was the first thing I tried doing with my setup.

If you did happen to find a used one though, I don't think it will sound much different than the Test Pipes / MPE setup, since IIRC, the Akra X-Pipe has 100 cpsi honeycomb cats, and resonators. So theoretically, using the test pipes on your stock x-pipe accomplishes the same task, since the secondary cats are very close in honeycomb size to the Akra HFCs, and there are resonators after the secondary cats. Not to mention, it's much cheaper.

Last edited by epbb; 06-17-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #55
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Plus the MPE is really expensive for what it is?
Probably best to spend it on something else that's lighter for that kind of money. Plus I've heard couple of failures on the MPE over here.
      06-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #56
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Plus the MPE is really expensive for what it is?
Probably best to spend it on something else that's lighter for that kind of money. Plus I've heard couple of failures on the MPE over here.
Yes, the mpe is expensive, but so is the akra. Mpe with test pipes is cheaper than the full akra EVO setup.

I don't know about the weight comment... I do know the inconel that the mpe uses is significantly lighter than stock (i want to say by 20 lbs), but don't know the numbers.

As for the failures, the only failures I have seen were installation issues. Nothing with the Mpe itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #57
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Well. After 5 wxhaust setups I'm back to oem. Could not be happier.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #58
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I've heard that some baffles inside has broken with some.
Also the inconel one even more expensive than the normal MPE. But hey just saying that I can't afford that one. And that I would spend on something else at that money.

Still loving my supersprint race and x-pipe mod so far.
Don't think I will go to anything else for now.

I'm happy
      06-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #59
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I went from oem modded to AA to AA/sosi xpipe to Rpi/sosi to agency power/sosi

Best sound for me: AA/sosi. Little to no drone whatsoever. Deep rumble and screams at high rpm.

Rpi droned me deaf. Had to rid it after a couple months. It did sound good though.

Agency sounds good with deep notes just a little drone at around 2k.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #60
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Also the inconel one even more expensive than the normal MPE. But hey just saying that I can't afford that one. And that I would spend on something else at that money.

Still loving my supersprint race and x-pipe mod so far.
Don't think I will go to anything else for now.

I'm happy
Hmmm... I've never heard of baffles broken inside of an MPE...and I have a sad life, I have to read M3post every hour. LOL.

BTW, all MPE are made of incolnel. There is no such such as a normal MPE and an incolnel version.
      06-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #61
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Really? Well I might have got it mixed up with the Eisenmann Inconel version.
Anyway, I've heard it from forum members over the pond on this side.

Also I'm kinda reluctant to pay BMW such a high price for a performance exhaust when the M3 is already suppose to be like the best M you can get, why spend another couple of $k on a exhaust. Seems bit cheeky and rip off.
      06-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #62
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Really? Well I might have got it mixed up with the Eisenmann Inconel version.
Anyway, I've heard it from forum members over the pond on this side.

Also I'm kinda reluctant to pay BMW such a high price for a performance exhaust when the M3 is already suppose to be like the best M you can get, why spend another couple of $k on a exhaust. Seems bit cheeky and rip off.
Agreed on the price point. The MPE probably should have come on the car as stock, but now that I have it, I'm glad it doesn't. When my car was stock, nobody ever commented on the exhaust. Not one person. I do know why though, since i was next to a stock m3 the other day, and hoy crap, did my car sound so much better!!!

Since I have gotten the full MPE / ACM setup, I get so many compliments about how amazing my exhaust sounds. Definitively makes me feel good. Quality costs money in today's economy, and hearing those comments makes spending the extra money so worth it.

Last edited by epbb; 06-19-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #63
Repoman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10+

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflywheel View Post
I've searched a lot and I find it interesting to read exhaust review posts of someone loving the particular exhaust being reviewed, where the review thread is a few years old, yet their sig shows current ownership of a different exhaust. Actually this board looks like an exhaust swingers club! I'm new to the M3 and seeking a monogamous exhaust relationship so I'm hoping to benefit from some longer-term feedback that has slipped through the cracks of new exhaust reviews.

I'm simply looking for sound yet want to stay out of the obnoxious & heavy-drone camp and stay emission legal. I'm considering the following but have been giving most consideration to the MPE:
  • M Performance Exhaust
  • Challenge Exhaust
  • AE Performance Sport
  • Supersprint Race/Sport

Any interesting long-term insights from those on a similar path?

I have the MPE. I share the same opinon that others have expressed on this thread. It's a great exhaust that you probably won't want to swap out any time soon.

It sounds great. There is a certain "mechanical" tone to the exhaust note. It's only a little bit louder when driving. I haven't experienced any drone. The tone during high excelleration is what really impresses me. The tips look great. The cans on the back look great too. I did like the fact that it was OEM.

Since getting my MPE, I've decided to change my M3's name from "Sally" to "Thor".
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #64
superflywheel
ʘʘ Comandante
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.50001 E92 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
Agreed on the price point. The MPE probably should have come on the car as stock, but now that I have it, I'm glad it doesn't. When my car was stock, nobody ever commented on the exhaust. Not one person. I do know why though, since i was next to a stock m3 the other day, and hoy crap, did my car sound so much better!!!
I hear ya I really think an M car should come with a performance exhaust. I actually did have people comment on my stock sound - that the engine sounded great but the exhaust sounded muted/muffled. I'm really happy with the MPE and plan to stop here with regard to exhaust mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #65
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Agreed, stock is way too quiet and doesn't even sound like V8.
I modded mine straight away when I got my M3, but I went overboard and did the backbox solid pipe replaced with centre x-pipe cats and resonator removed aswell. Result were ... um something like a race car mega loud.

Tons of fun with that combination. Still have the oem modded box around, maybe one day I will get bored of the supersprint and want something crazy again.
      06-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #66
epbb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
YOU JINXED ME!!!

No sooner did this get posted, I started hearing a rattling with the exhaust. Thought it was just something rattling against the heat shield. Brought it into the dealer, and it sounds like a baffle in the right muffler is rattling.

So, new MPE has been ordered, and warranty replacement will be coming up in a week or so....