BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

EXXEL Distributions

11-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Moving to Portland - Where to Live

Well I am not moving, but my Sister will be moving to Portland soon. She will be working at Doernbecher (apparently that is the children's hospital on the hill...). She is looking to live not too far from there and rent a place (something that won't have a lot of maintenance as she will be working a lot).

what are your thoughts on general areas that she could live in!?

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
kyleblix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2012 Audi Q5  [0.00]
E90 M3  [0.00]
Doernbecher is a nice hospital! There is housing all over the place, it all depends on her budget.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
benha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Ya maybe search on Hotpads. Expensive to live in the Pearl, but she'll live it if she's a city girl.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benha View Post
Ya maybe search on Hotpads. Expensive to live in the Pearl, but she'll live it if she's a city girl.
So the Pearl district is to the east of the Hospital I take it? I looks like the hospitial is on top of a hill...are the surrounding areas (other than the Pearl) desirable (or safe) places to live?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

The pearl isn't as fancy as some people make it out to be. It actually has a relativley low household income compare to most Portland neighborhoods due to a lot of low income housing mixed into the apartment/condo buildings. The Pearl is over hyped beyond belief.

Have her look into Southwest Portland or Hillsdale. Maybe even Cedar Mills or the West Hills. They're not going to be as trendy as the downtown areas.

If she really wants to stay downtown check out Goose Hollow or 23rd. 23rd is kind of trendy like the Pearl but in a different kind of way. Or she can live in the South Waterfront and ride the aerial tram up the hill every day. Thats probably the newest buildings in town so I'm assuming the least maintenance.

Theres lots of options. It really depends on the type of living she prefers. Houses or comdos/apartments? Busy with lots to do or quiet? Will she be driving or taking mass transit?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
The pearl isn't as fancy as some people make it out to be. It actually has a relativley low household income compare to most Portland neighborhoods due to a lot of low income housing mixed into the apartment/condo buildings. The Pearl is over hyped beyond belief.

Have her look into Southwest Portland or Hillsdale. Maybe even Cedar Mills or the West Hills. They're not going to be as trendy as the downtown areas.

If she really wants to stay downtown check out Goose Hollow or 23rd. 23rd is kind of trendy like the Pearl but in a different kind of way. Or she can live in the South Waterfront and ride the aerial tram up the hill every day. Thats probably the newest buildings in town so I'm assuming the least maintenance.

Theres lots of options. It really depends on the type of living she prefers. Houses or comdos/apartments? Busy with lots to do or quiet? Will she be driving or taking mass transit?

Thanks for the suggestions. She hasn't really lived anywhere where mass transit is a good option, thought I am sure she would be will to use it. As for the type of housing, that is a great suggestion she will have to think about. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I would rec South Waterfront for easy, modern condo/apt type living. Short tram ride to the hospital. For close traditional housing (less modern) I would check out John's Landing. Parking on the hill is crazy expensive. Best to avoid it.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Thanks for the recommendations! I will pass them along.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post

Looks like she is looking at Northwest Portland. So somewhere around Vaughn Ave ad 23rd street. Thoughts on that area? Appreciate your help and input!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Looks like she is looking at Northwest Portland. So somewhere around Vaughn Ave ad 23rd street. Thoughts on that area? Appreciate your help and input!
Vaughn is quite a ways down 23rd, right at HWY30 and the industrial area. I can't say much about housing that far down or what transit is like. There is a couple good restaurants right there though. The McMenamins and Besaw's (best chicken and waffles!). It is less hectic than the main part of 23rd but you have to go through the busy part of 23rd to get to/from so that could be a hassle. Overall its probably a pretty decent choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
She might be looking at one of those new condo's they built within the last year or so on 23rd a block or so south or vaughn. Never been in them, but they look nice. Since it's very close to hwy 30, it would be easy to get to most parts of Portland fairly quick. Most of the restuarants and bars on 23rd are on walking distance from there, but they are a few blocks away. Parking would be an issue in that area if you place doesn't come with it. They plan to do a lot of additional building right around there with a higher end grocery store, but I haven't been down there in a while or really kept up on it, so I'm not sure the status of it. Most of that land down there is owned or used to be owned by Con-Way and they plan to develop it all since it's kind industrial land that butts up to the trendy part of 23rd.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

In my opinion I would never live in a downtown, NW or SW condo. What a nightmare. Construction law suits right and left on nearly every building. On the other hand some people think its fun to own 1000 sq ft on the 15th floor.......and nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep

Appreciate all of the feedback. The place she has is coming with a parking spot and it isn't in a high-rise. Again, thank you for the comments.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
In my opinion I would never live in a downtown, NW or SW condo. What a nightmare. Construction law suits right and left on nearly every building. On the other hand some people think its fun to own 1000 sq ft on the 15th floor.......and nothing else.
I would trust this man.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #15
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I work down in the Pearl and would live down there in a heart beat. Lots of restaurants, bars, gyms etc and very walk able. If she wants that urban feel living in the the Pearl is a good choice. Also, you don't buy in the Pearl, you rent. If she's single and has no kids it's a great place to live. The Mississippi area is really cool and very PORTLAND so is the Hawthorne area. I lived in NW Portland for 10 years off of 21st. Again very walk able but it's not a hot as it once was.

Last edited by Shaung; 02-18-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
kyleblix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2012 Audi Q5  [0.00]
E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
I would trust this man.
I would not trust this man.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Different strokes for different folks. I would rather visit for dinner, etc...... If you want your car all jacked up from parking then go ahead and live down there. If you grew up enjoying wide open spaces then downtown is not for you.......
Appreciate 0