BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Slow puncture?

Hi all,

The flat tyre indicator on my 2012 DCT Coupe indicated just over a week ago. I checked all tyres and all appeared fine, albeit slight deviances in pressure. I pumped them all to standard settings, reset the system and all was ok.
However, today the FTi alarm sounded again..
I found that my rear nearside was 5psi below normal so I guess I have a real slow puncture here?

A couple of other things I noticed during the process:

1. In vehicle settings, it displays a diagram of the car showing all 4 wheels coloured amber.. I'd have thought the system would be clever enough to indicated which tyre was calling a fault. Is this normal the owners have to check all pressures if not visually obvious? Seems like a half-help system.

2. I used the compressor but was unable to operate it via the 12V socket without the engine running. With the car in my garage I then had to open the door to vent the gas..I since read that there is a way to overcome this by pressing the start button twice (without foot on the brake so it doesn't actually start) so that may be the answer. Will look into this another time.

Thanks

Bob
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

System has always pointed out which tire is low on all my current and pass Bimmers, no issues. Only time I ever got 4 ambers is after a serious overnight temperature drop.
      09-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Santorini View Post
Hi all,

The flat tyre indicator on my 2012 DCT Coupe indicated just over a week ago. I checked all tyres and all appeared fine, albeit slight deviances in pressure. I pumped them all to standard settings, reset the system and all was ok.
However, today the FTi alarm sounded again..
I found that my rear nearside was 5psi below normal so I guess I have a real slow puncture here?

A couple of other things I noticed during the process:

1. In vehicle settings, it displays a diagram of the car showing all 4 wheels coloured amber.. I'd have thought the system would be clever enough to indicated which tyre was calling a fault. Is this normal the owners have to check all pressures if not visually obvious? Seems like a half-help system.

2. I used the compressor but was unable to operate it via the 12V socket without the engine running. With the car in my garage I then had to open the door to vent the gas..I since read that there is a way to overcome this by pressing the start button twice (without foot on the brake so it doesn't actually start) so that may be the answer. Will look into this another time.

Thanks

Bob
If four are amber then four need air.

Yes, if you press the start button twice without having your foot on the brake pedal (dct) or clutch pedal (6mt) the power will come on without the motor starting.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep

I don't believe all four required air as three were as I set them over a week ago.. Hmmmm. I'll continue to monitor with focus on the one I pumped up a little. I only travel a few miles to work every day so no concern on getting stranded. If said tyre pressure drops again then I'll visit a tyre dealer.
Otherwise the sensor issues may need attention at BMW anyway..

Thanks for your responses guys

Bob
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Normally if there is a problem with the actual system, you will get other errors on the screen on the dash cluster.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep

The only other error I've had was a couple regarding the key fob. Can't recall what it said exactly but something about a read error. All was fine and it didn't affect driving at all.
Strange.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Santorini View Post
Hi all,
I've had the slow leak problem twice. I don't have Nav but I did get a dash light once. The other time, I heard a constant tick tick sound coming from under the car & thought (hoped) I had picked up a rock. Both times, I visually inspected the tire & saw a nail head on the tread.
I have Pirelli's and I think the tread design makes the tire more susceptible to absorbing nails (as well as pebbles) I might run over.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Weird, my car only gives me a red exclamation point, but my wife's 335 will tell you which tire it is.
      09-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep

Just checked tyre again. Down by 2psi so I'll take it local shop tomorrow for a closer look,.
Appreciate 0