BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2018, 03:09 AM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
508
Rep
6,673
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (53)

Duralast alternator install, your opinion

Having one installed tmrw. Bosch/valeo brands are special ordered until middle of the week but I want my car up and running again. I too prefer OE and stuff not from autozone but would you say an alternator is an alternator in this case? I had an autozone brand thermostat installed in my last e90 and worked flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Major General
1280
Rep
5,241
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Does auto zone give a lifetime warranty on parts and labor, assuming you are paying to have it installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
508
Rep
6,673
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Does auto zone give a lifetime warranty on parts and labor, assuming you are paying to have it installed?
Warranty yes but no labor from them. If it does give out, maybe have a spare in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Major General
1280
Rep
5,241
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

I would not carry a spare alternator and tools to change it. AZ would not be my first choice but it may be fine and certainly if itís all that is available I would put it in. I do my own labor so it would just cost me time if it failed.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Major General
1280
Rep
5,241
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

I had good luck with California alternator and starter on eBay. They have been around for years. But if new valeo is $300, that is worth considering. I always prefer to do the job once rather than twice.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
dparm
Major General
dparm's Avatar
United_States
1550
Rep
6,004
Posts

Drives: Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Having one installed tmrw. Bosch/valeo brands are special ordered until middle of the week but I want my car up and running again. I too prefer OE and stuff not from autozone but would you say an alternator is an alternator in this case? I had an autozone brand thermostat installed in my last e90 and worked flawlessly.

Whose alternator is it? Sometimes you can find out by either asking the guy at the parts counter or digging around online. Remanufacturing an OEM/OEM supplier's isn't that difficult.

What would worry me is some off-brand copy.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
508
Rep
6,673
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Whose alternator is it? Sometimes you can find out by either asking the guy at the parts counter or digging around online. Remanufacturing an OEM/OEM supplier's isn't that difficult.

What would worry me is some off-brand copy.
I don't remember it's been 3 years already
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #8
Redd
Captain
227
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

I too had issues with a remanufactured alt. Installed it and while everything ran fine, it gave me 'high battery discharge' errors almost immediately. Took it back and swapped it to an original one and no issues for over a year now.

The BMW electrics are finicky. Do yourself a favour and get an original one.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
508
Rep
6,673
Posts

Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I too had issues with a remanufactured alt. Installed it and while everything ran fine, it gave me 'high battery discharge' errors almost immediately. Took it back and swapped it to an original one and no issues for over a year now.

The BMW electrics are finicky. Do yourself a favour and get an original one.
I donít have iDrive, is there a code that came up for high battery discharge?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Redd
Captain
227
Rep
733
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Malaysia

iTrader: (0)

Yah. It just said 'high battery discharge' or something similar on the iDrive screen. No code in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
codinge90
Lieutenant
codinge90's Avatar
158
Rep
566
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

I just installed a Duralast alternator from Autozone over the weekend. So far no issues, really hope it works long term as taking the oem alternator out was super difficult lol. Will let anyone now if I experience any signs I see that would be related to a bad alternator
Appreciate 1
Route 16508.00

      03-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
codinge90
Lieutenant
codinge90's Avatar
158
Rep
566
Posts

Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

EDIT:

I noticed that my car was still throwing an alternator code - 278C: Alternator. This code would pop up right away even after clearing codes. I decided to return my Duralast alternator to Autozone and order a new Valeo 180 amp alternator from ECS for $260 with free shipping and installed it and the code went away. I wouldn't recommend going aftermarket on the alternator. This code that was popping up was not a hard CEL/SES light but it still showed a code when the car was scanned. I don't know what caused it exactly from the Duralast alternator but going OEM fixed it.
Appreciate 2
Shredicus356.00
Theodore266.00

      03-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
Shredicus
Captain
Shredicus's Avatar
United_States
356
Rep
994
Posts

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: WA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
EDIT:

I noticed that my car was still throwing an alternator code - 278C: Alternator. This code would pop up right away even after clearing codes. I decided to return my Duralast alternator to Autozone and order a new Valeo 180 amp alternator from ECS for $260 with free shipping and installed it and the code went away. I wouldn't recommend going aftermarket on the alternator. This code that was popping up was not a hard CEL/SES light but it still showed a code when the car was scanned. I don't know what caused it exactly from the Duralast alternator but going OEM fixed it.
Thanks for the follow-up
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST