BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Closed Thread

09-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Always....though I would have no idea what I am looking at! I could probably figure it out if I studied it a little.

Anyways, this will eventually turn into a bash fest between ESS and BPM, just waiting for it... I don't see why there can't be equal competition where person X prefers product A over product B that person Y prefers. Like clothing / watches / etc...
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)

OP, I'm shocked you let someone remote "custom" tune your SC'd car. Its one thing to get a pre-canned NA flash that's been sold hundreds of times, and quite another to take an SC tune from a 3rd party on what has been a VERY closed platform to date.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
OP, I'm shocked you let someone remote "custom" tune your SC'd car. Its one thing to get a pre-canned NA flash that's been sold hundreds of times, and quite another to take an SC tune from a 3rd party on what has been a VERY closed platform to date.
I was skeptical as well. But like the OP said he trusted mike, he is happy with the attentive customer service, and he loves the finished product. In the end that's all that really matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Any interest in tuning a ESS 650+ car on 9psi on E85? May be bumping to 10-11psi once the switch to corn is made
This is what I want to see!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

So no data or even a dyno? That makes this basically a "my butt dyno says I'm making power" thread.

Put it on the dyno (preferably at EAS), log everything and if you're still happy, congrats.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but this seems like the absolute minimum that should be done with a custom tune.
      09-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think Mike has done a lot of data logging and tunes for other SC cars, plus he guaranteed the work so why not stick with someone who's proven to do customers right from day one. I don't understand why every one its so skeptical of his abilities. clearly the car works so-until I find something wrong I have nothing bad to say....I just wanted to post here to describe my personal experience with him and his tune, while providing feedback for others that may be searching for an alternative route etc....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
So no data or even a dyno? That makes this basically a "my butt dyno says I'm making power" thread.

Put it on the dyno (preferably at EAS), log everything and if you're still happy, congrats.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but this seems like the absolute minimum that should be done with a custom tube.
No it doesn't make it that at all. I know what a 100 plus hp feels like and i would be the first to say that its lacking. but i think its just fine. ive been madding cars my whole life esp. boosting them and i can say this is a beautiful performer. Also, Mike suggested that i buy some data logging tools and that i go to the dyno to prove everything is legit. once i get it ill post them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Hey man, I live in plantation, and I'd love to check your car out since I am seriously considering an ess kit.

You mind if we get together sometime?

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #32
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
Without direct access to the car and months of testing and data logging this is exactly what you are getting "tune and pray". The only reason someone would be this foolish would be if they were too cheap to buy the real thing. There is nobody in their right mind and who has the funds that would take a home garage tuner making a remote tune on a supercharged car VS the guys who actually spent years perfecting it. The only possible exception would be is if the file was borrowed from an ESS car and reused. Even then not worth the risk IMO. There is no way in hell I would let a 3rd party tune my ESS kit.
Actually if you knew what the Hell you where talking about you would know that Mikes tune on SC cars will be as good and most likey better then the Manufactures Tunes.
      09-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #33
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
Hey man, I live in plantation, and I'd love to check your car out since I am seriously considering an ess kit.

You mind if we get together sometime?
absolutely. Give me a ring ill pm you.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #34
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep

If mike can reliably tune/re-tune other vendors sc kits that's exciting...I'd love for an e85 tune on my ess 625...bigger injectors + upgraded fuel pump. Its been a very closed tuning community so far on this platform. Outside of a vendor out of the UK I had not heard of anyone willing to retune another vendors kit. Almost the exact opposite of what you find in JDM & American muscle...

I'm not going to experiment with a $20k motor to find out if someone is a capable SC tuner. I'm surprised the OP is willing to risk his motor on an off chance Mike may not know what all the maps do. More reliable route to me would have been to go with the proven upgrade path. The current gen 5.0 mustang guys were windowing blocks for 2 years before someone figured out that the ecu went to another leaner map after 12 or 14 seconds at WOT.

I hope that this makes ESS more willing to do custom tunes for meth, race fuel, or e85
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #35
baxter3221
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Supercharged 2008 E92 M - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #36
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

BPM has the tuning specs from datalogging SC cars. I would not worry. It knows the ECU well from tuning NA cars. The results should be good. It is great to have tuning alternatives now that the SC kits are coming available used without tunes as people sell their cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #37
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 alpine white dct

Quote:
If mike can reliably tune/re-tune other vendors sc kits that's exciting...I'd love for an e85 tune on my ess 625...bigger injectors + upgraded fuel pump. Its been a very closed tuning community so far on this platform. Outside of a vendor out of the UK I had not heard of anyone willing to retune another vendors kit. Almost the exact opposite of what you find in JDM & American muscle...

I'm not going to experiment with a $20k motor to find out if someone is a capable SC tuner. I'm surprised the OP is willing to risk his motor on an off chance Mike may not know what all the maps do. More reliable route to me would have been to go with the proven upgrade path. The current gen 5.0 mustang guys were windowing blocks for 2 years before someone figured out that the ecu went to another leaner map after 12 or 14 seconds at WOT.

I hope that this makes ESS more willing to do custom tunes for meth, race fuel, or e85
Im in for custom E85 tunes on blower cars!
Jacks 3.8 - Jacks Drag 800 w/ billet gears - AAM GT-900R - Swift - DPE ST7's - Ecutek via Visconti - 9.4 @150mph 7200ft DA - 185.5mph 1/2 mile 9240ft DA
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #38
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Im in for custom E85 tunes on blower cars!
that would be insane. im sure he can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #39
DansM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

the M is far from a 5.0 as far as ecu. M software is a lot smarter than that. and as many cars and BMW specific vehicles mike has been around, I'm sure his experience in this platform enables him to make anything work safely
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #40
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Mike can reliably tune any of the kits on the market, it doesn't matter which vendor it's from. Even supercharged S85 V10 motors. He has done pretty much every kit out there on the E9x platform. He is also working on E85 NA tunes as well as E85 supercharger tunes as well.

Mike has every piece of factory data you could ever want on this car, ranging from thousands of pages of factory documents from BMW M, over 12 thousand maps defined with proper correction factors and scaling for the MSS60 DME, as well as every factory software version ever available, for every release and region. You are not dealing with a novice. He doesn't hide what he has or say that he can do something that he doesn't know how to do. He's constantly innovating and finding new features and ways. Yesterday he told me that he figured out how to get the car to not log the max RPM achieved and that's currently in testing. You can continue to discount him all you want, but I'll leave it at that. There is no guessing involved.

One of the most important things when tuning a supercharged car is to have the injector scaling accurate. Mike had all of the commonly used injectors for E9x M3 kits flowed at the different pressures that the factory DME calls for to ensure that the fueling and base factors were correct.

People seem to think that these companies who make supercharger kits for the M3 invented the supercharger itself as well as tuning for them. Given the knowledge that Mike has along with time, a tune can be made. We have never offered a product before testing it out first.

Our customers are happy with our work and that's what matters. It means we are offering services that people want and enjoy.

Last edited by THE TECH; 09-05-2013 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
bubu
Bunny Slayer
United_States
Rep

good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Mike can reliably tune any of the kits on the market, it doesn't matter which vendor it's from. Even supercharged S85 V10 motors. He has done pretty much every kit out there on the E9x platform. He is also working on E85 NA tunes as well as E85 supercharger tunes as well.

Mike has every piece of factory data you could ever want on this car, ranging from thousands of pages of factory documents from BMW M, over 12 thousand maps defined with proper correction factors and scaling for the MSS60 DME, as well as every factory software version ever available, for every release and region. You are not dealing with a novice. He doesn't hide what he has or say that he can do something that he doesn't know how to do. He's constantly innovating and finding new features and ways. Yesterday he told me that he figured out how to get the car to not log the max RPM achieved and that's currently in testing. You can continue to discount him all you want, but I'll leave it at that. There is no guessing involved.

One of the most important things when tuning a supercharged car is to have the injector scaling accurate. Mike had all of the commonly used injectors for E9x M3 kits flowed at the different pressures that the factory DME calls for to ensure that the fueling and base factors were correct.

People seem to think that these companies who make supercharger kits for the M3 invented the supercharger itself as well as tuning for them. Given the knowledge that Mike has along with time, a tune can be made. We have never offered a product before testing it out first.

Our customers are happy with our work and that's what matters. It means we are offering services that people want and enjoy.
Its exciting to hear that you have the ecu clearly mapped out with factory documents vs blind reverse engineering...I'll let others experiment first regardless. With ess wanting money for kit resale tunes we should start seeing some brave souls soon .
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #42
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Whoa, E85 N/A tunes and RPM not being captured on freeze-frame. Keep it coming guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #43
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #44
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Good to see that we have a thread about tunes not turning into a pissing match...