BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Upgrading/buying?
Yes - iPhone Xs 21 20.00%
Yes - iPhone Xs Max 21 20.00%
Yes - iPhone Xr 5 4.76%
No 24 22.86%
F*ck NO 34 32.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

09-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #67
Pagman22
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

Just got a new 8 and pleased versus the 6 plus. At least 8 has the better processor and camera. Battery life is excellent at this point and a lower price point relative to the X
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #68
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
FYI... anything prior to a 7 is now considered effectively a dinosaur... the processing power alone of anything older wont allow you to use all apps effectively.
Apps I use on a 6S work fine. What apps won’t work properly on a 3 year old phone?
any AR app for one... and the camera in comparison is a joke... oh yeah and the battery...
      09-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #69
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
FYI... anything prior to a 7 is now considered effectively a dinosaur... the processing power alone of anything older wont allow you to use all apps effectively.
Apps I use on a 6S work fine. What apps won't work properly on a 3 year old phone?
any AR app for one... and the camera in comparison is a joke... oh yeah and the battery...
Ok that explains it. I don't use AR apps (actually had to look up what they are lol) or really play any games on my phone, and don't care much about the camera as I have a separate camera when taking pics I care about. Battery life could be longer, but not worth $1,000 to get more time between recharges. Basic apps I use still fine. I'm ok being a dinosaur.
P111541.50
      09-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #70
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok that explains it. I don't use AR apps (actually had to look up what they are lol) or really play any games on my phone, and don't care much about the camera as I have a separate camera when taking pics I care about. Battery life could be longer, but not worth $1,000 to get more time between recharges. Basic apps I use still fine. I'm ok being a dinosaur.
It's waaaaay more than that though... I hear what you are saying often and scratch my head everytime. Your phone is your singularly most used electronic device that you own... more than a computer, more than a tv, more than even your car. It can virtually do anything; and there are few items even available on the market that are as capable... the price tag is very very well worth it and has the quickest ROI of virtually anything you could own... It's even a business and work tool. The massive improvement in speed, screen quality, camera quality, battery and a host of other improvements make the upgrade more than worth it. That's what you realize after a day of owning the new phone... The kicker; comments like the ones made above have come to me from people wearing $15k Rolexes... if that's not a LOL, then I don't know what is.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #71
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
It's waaaaay more than that though... I hear what you are saying often and scratch my head everytime. Your phone is your singularly most used electronic device that you own... more than a computer, more than a tv, more than even your car. It can virtually do anything; and there are few items even available on the market that are as capable... the price tag is very very well worth it and has the quickest ROI of virtually anything you could own... It's even a business and work tool. The massive improvement in speed, screen quality, camera quality, battery and a host of other improvements make the upgrade more than worth it. That's what you realize after a day of owning the new phone... The kicker; comments like the ones made above have come to me from people wearing $15k Rolexes... if that's not a LOL, then I don't know what is.
Do you work for Apple?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #72
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
Quote:
Do you work for Apple?
No... I just consider myself to have quite a bit of common sense. There is almost nothing to rebut in my statement and thats why throwing shade is the only rebuttal.

PS- I work in the financial sector.
      09-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #73
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
You can sell a $15k rolex for 15k or more 5+ years later. The phone will have no value by that time. I do agree however about having a good quality phone to do work on that has a good battery life. That does not mean you need to buy a new phone every year though. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest right away even though many can justify it. I personally don't have a single apple product so I'm not in this boat.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #74
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We must use our phones much differently. I use my PC, iPad and TV far more than my phone. When I'm in my home (and I work from home), my phone is forwarded to my landline and I don't use it at all. The best ROI to me is to delay upgrading as long as possible unless Apple or another phone manufacturer gives me an easily understood reason to upgrade.

As far as luxury purchases go (and I don't have a Rolex, but I do have an M4) those are for enjoyment, not ROI.
________4157.00
P111541.50
      09-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #75
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Quote:
You can sell a $15k rolex for 15k or more 5+ years later. The phone will have no value by that time. I do agree however about having a good quality phone to do work on that has a good battery life. That does not mean you need to buy a new phone every year though. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest right away even though many can justify it. I personally don't have a single apple product so I'm not in this boat.
First off... you cannot resell the rolex for that price gl w that... i am looking at subs now; and no one will give u even close to msrp.

Also, no one said renew every year, i have a X and def dont pln on upgrading until 5g is live. 3-4 gens back, the difference is huge.
      09-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #76
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
We must use our phones much differently. I use my PC, iPad and TV far more than my phone. When I'm in my home (and I work from home), my phone is forwarded to my landline and I don't use it at all. The best ROI to me is to delay upgrading as long as possible unless Apple or another phone manufacturer gives me an easily understood reason to upgrade.

As far as luxury purchases go (and I don't have a Rolex, but I do have an M4) those are for enjoyment, not ROI.
Some would consider the iphone a business tool, luxury good, personal enjoyment good all in one
      09-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #77
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Some would consider the iphone a business tool, luxury good, personal enjoyment good all in one
Agreed, but the operative word is "some" - I get why heavy users may see value in the upgrade, that's just not me. I'm perfectly fine with what I've got until I am forced to do something else.
      09-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #78
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you, but under certain conditions. I worked in the mobile sector for 5 years (at both T-Mobile and Verizon) and have dealt with all types of customers.

I've had customers come in with an iPhone 4 (in 2015) and they were perfectly fine with it since they didn't need the iPhone 7 (latest phone at that time). I've also had customers come in needing an upgrade because their phone isn't advanced enough to handle their needs. At the end of the day, phones are similar to cars, some just need something from point A to point B and others may need to upgrade every few years to satisfy their needs.
      09-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #79
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Since we're on the topic, what's a reliable way of selling a used phone? I think Apple would give me $100 for my 6s, but trying to see what other options there are.
The best place I've found to sell is Swappa.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      09-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #80
se15679875
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I have an iphone 6 and it works fine for me! I've owned two phones in the last 10 years, an iphone 3 that I got back in 2009 and then an iphone 6 (my current phone) after I dropped my iphone 3 in a lake.

The features I use the most on a day to day basis are texting, checking and sending emails, and using the web browser, and I've never felt constrained or limited in any way. I don't abstain from upgrading to save money, but I also don't like wasting money if I don't feel like I'll derive any pleasure from it. I bought my wife an iphone X when it came out. She's keen on upgrading to an XS which is fine by me. She enjoys having a nice phone and derives pleasure from it so it works for her.

I feel like I would be needlessly wasting $1000 (worth $2k, $4k, $8k 10/20/30 years in the future assuming a 7.2% ROI). I'd rather have $8,000 in 30 years than the "privilege" of owning an iphone X today that brings me absolutely no added pleasure whatsoever.

I'd rather have $100,000 extra in my nest egg in the future to pass down to my kids than upgrade to a new $1000 phone every year. This is not to say that I live like a miser. I have my guilty pleasures. Having the latest phone is just not one of them.

(For the record since it was brought up watches are not one of my guilty pleasures either. My most expensive watch is a $150 Seiko).
Appreciate 2
P111541.50
shay2nak1070.00
      09-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #81
se15679875
Banned
Rep

And for the record I've obviously tried my wife's iphone X before and the difference between the X and the 6 is nothing short of tremendous. The 6 feels incredibly laggy by comparison. Opening up a safari web browser might take my phone 2-2.5 seconds whereas the X can do it in less than 1.

And yet that difference just doesn't hold value for me at least. I'm sure there are millions out there for whom the performance improvements etc. add tangible monetary or emotional value to their lives in some way.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #82
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Every few years I need a phone. This looks great.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #83
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
People who fail to see the benefits of a better phone are not surprisingly the people who don't own one. I upgrade every year and every time I go back and use my previous year phone I notice the lack of speed. I never feel the previous year phone was slow until I get used to the new one.

Subscribe to the theory of ignorance is bliss if you want, but don't act as though there aren't real-world improvements.
      09-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #84
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
People who fail to see the benefits of a better phone are not surprisingly the people who don't own one. I upgrade every year and every time I go back and use my previous year phone I notice the lack of speed. I never feel the previous year phone was slow until I get used to the new one.

Subscribe to the theory of ignorance is bliss if you want, but don't act as though there aren't real-world improvements.
I think yearly is a little much, but 2-3 years for sure; considering the amount of usage a phone gets. Any other device that's used as much as a phone and for as many things would literally fall apart after 2-3 years. Then people have the nerve to complain when their phone gets slow or not acting like it used to. But yeah... there are always going to be people stuck in their old ways like the dude above somehow talking about his 401k ROI when are talking about phones lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #85
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think yearly is a little much, but 2-3 years for sure; considering the amount of usage a phone gets. Any other device that's used as much as a phone and for as many things would literally fall apart after 2-3 years. Then people have the nerve to complain when their phone gets slow or not acting like it used to. But yeah... there are always going to be people stuck in their old way like the dude above somehow talking about his 401k ROI when are talking about phones lol.
You work in finance. You understand time value of money better than I do.

I guess what I don't understand is why there appears to be an implicit sense of condescension on your part or glennQNYC's simply because some people don't upgrade their phones every year or every 2-3 years. I feel like this topic is emotionally charged for you when it shouldn't be.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      09-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #86
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by se15679875 View Post
You work in finance. You understand time value of money better than I do.

I guess what I don't understand is why there appears to be an implicit sense of condescension on your part or glennQNYC's simply because some people don't upgrade their phones every year or every 2-3 years. I feel like this topic is emotionally charged for you when it shouldn't be.
The time value of money excuse is literally used by everyone for virtually any purchase; its almost laughable at certain points... i want to hear the guy that says he will decide whether to go to Mcdonalds or invest $5 in his 401k...

It's not emotionally charged; its logically charged... if you don't wish to upgrade; this is 100% fine and acceptable but the excuses that are being used for not upgrading are often simply lacking logic where you see were people do spend significantly more money.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #87
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

Like what's the point of this? It strikes me as a straw man argument if anything. People don't fail to see the benefit. They evaluate the pros (faster processor speed, better camera, etc.) and cons ($) of upgrading every year or 2-3 years and determine that the pros do not outweigh the cons.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to upgrading phones. The condescension is what I don't understand (and about upgrading phones no less). It's laughably arbitrary.

Quote:
I think yearly is a little much, but 2-3 years for sure; considering the amount of usage a phone gets. Any other device that's used as much as a phone and for as many things would literally fall apart after 2-3 years. Then people have the nerve to complain when their phone gets slow or not acting like it used to. But yeah... there are always going to be people stuck in their old ways like the dude above somehow talking about his 401k ROI when are talking about phones lol.
I don't have data on me or anything but who on earth would be stupid enough to do this?

If you have an older generation phone and it's too slow and you have the means to upgrade to a faster phone and you willingly don't upgrade then that, by definition, makes you ignorant.

You seem to be implying that a striking number of individuals who don't upgrade their phones regularly fall into this category. Why?
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410880.50
________4157.00
      09-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #88
se15679875
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The time value of money excuse is literally used by everyone for virtually any purchase; its almost laughable at certain points... i want to hear the guy that says he will decide whether to go to Mcdonalds or invest $5 in his 401k...

It's not emotionally charged; its logically charged... if you don't wish to upgrade; this is 100% fine and acceptable but the excuses that are being used for not upgrading are often simply lacking logic where you see were people do spend significantly more money.
It's not an excuse. Are you kidding me? Time value of money is a reasonable variable to consider when weighing pros and cons of spending $1000 every year or every 2-3 years on a product that may not benefit you.
Appreciate 0