BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

08-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #111
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

People in NY and LA need to realize one thing...the rest of the country does not give a crap about you regardless of how cool you think you are because of where you live. You are not automatically entitled to everything you want. Maybe if California wasn't steeped in failure and debt and had the ability to build a brand new track 15 minutes from an airport they'd be considered.

Austin is very close to both Dallas and Houston which are huge cities. Most of you people in California whining have probably never been to Austin. It's a gorgeous town and sixth street will be an absolute crazy party for F1. I'm definitely going.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #112
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I live in California, and I don't really care where is going to be held.
I think for a brand new track, Austin TX is not a bad choice....plus is about 3-4 hours flights to almost everywhere in US, plus the Caribbeans, and some South American countries....
      08-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #113
Bimmermaniac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
People in NY and LA need to realize one thing...the rest of the country does not give a crap about you regardless of how cool you think you are because of where you live. You are not automatically entitled to everything you want. Maybe if California wasn't steeped in failure and debt and had the ability to build a brand new track 15 minutes from an airport they'd be considered.

Austin is very close to both Dallas and Houston which are huge cities. Most of you people in California whining have probably never been to Austin. It's a gorgeous town and sixth street will be an absolute crazy party for F1. I'm definitely going.
Two things

1.) I have heard Austin is a great city. I still am excited to come out there. It is the best place for this new track, most other states have too many legal hangups to allow such and event, plus it is in the middle country where the many more people can fly in without a cross continent journey.

2.) Texas is not exactly paradise so get off your high horse there partner, or maybe layoff the moonshine. CA steeped in failure, yah ok, you keep believing that one cowboy. I would rather smash my knuckles with a 2x4 than ever live in Houston or Dallas. Maybe you should check your facts before going on some ignorant tirade, apparently your budget is just as messed up as California's. See link below and be prepared to tuck tail between legs.

http://www.thecypresstimes.com/artic...ER_PERRY/23832

Seriously are you joking, you only wish you could live here in Northern California.... get real.
      08-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #114
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Seriously, everyone needs to take it down a notch. Also you guys are not realizing that a race venue in central Texas will not only cater to fans from the big cities in Texas, but also to F1 fans in Mexico and Central America.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #115
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermaniac View Post
2.) Texas is not exactly paradise so get off your high horse there partner, or maybe layoff the moonshine. CA steeped in failure, yah ok, you keep believing that one cowboy. I would rather smash my knuckles with a 2x4 than ever live in Houston or Dallas. Maybe you should check your facts before going on some ignorant tirade, apparently your budget is just as messed up as California's. See link below and be prepared to tuck tail between legs.

Seriously are you joking, you only wish you could live here in Northern California.... get real.
So true, this state is as messed up as California, just late to realize it. I moved from Laguna Beach to Dallas last year because of a job, and while Austin is 10% better than Dallas, it's a huge margin behind LA, SF or just about any coastal town in California.

I'm excited about the F1 race, I have family in Austin and will certainly go, but it would be much more fun if it were in a big city.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #116
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
Man, I cant wait. My father and I have been dreaming of going to an F1 race since I was a year old. We are already making plans for this!
same.. ill be in monaco next may for my first race

Austin would be great... I live in ny, I wanna get down there for those awesome bbq
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #117
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
was in austin early this summer and the "domain" in austin was pretty dope
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #118
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post

Quote:
Two things

1.) I have heard Austin is a great city. I still am excited to come out there. It is the best place for this new track, most other states have too many legal hangups to allow such and event, plus it is in the middle country where the many more people can fly in without a cross continent journey.

You sound mad in the latter portion of your reply. I don't believe Muffnbluff ever said it was paradise. I think his point was just that you shouldn't discredit the city so easily.

Welcome to the forums, but please try not to put words into other people's mouths.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 08-28-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #119
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
SoCal is where the USGP belongs (aftermarket & car industry capital of the world) ..... but Bernie sells to the highest bidder (Texas got money).
Probably too many environmental headaches in CA. All the tree huggers are there.
      08-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #120
hotpants
Private
Rep
Drives: MB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by revster View Post
Where in this broke-ass economy are they gonna get that money?
You think building all the facilities for a modern F1 race in Texas to the tune of 500 million dollars has a realistic chance of happening in two years?

Not even Jerry Jones could pull that off.
Jerry built cowboys stadium during the peak of the depression in 2yrs to a total cost of 1.2 billion dollars. he put up half of that in his own money. texas wasn't hit as hard by the recession as the other states which is a big reason a lot of people are moving to texas now. if a racetrack is gonna be built Texas has ability and money to do it.

Quote:

look at who wrote the article you posted. if you wanna question our budget get some facts written by someone not trying to unseat the incumbent for Governor. FYI, I am anti-Perry and his toll roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
So true, this state is as messed up as California, just late to realize it. I moved from Laguna Beach to Dallas last year because of a job, and while Austin is 10% better than Dallas, it's a huge margin behind LA, SF or just about any coastal town in California.

I'm excited about the F1 race, I have family in Austin and will certainly go, but it would be much more fun if it were in a big city.
gotta disagree there. ive been to NY, LA, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Dallas and various other big cities. There is no other place in the World I would rather live than in Austin. To me this city is Paradise because it is not too big and not too small. its just right. So I guess we can just agree to disagree here.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #121
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpants View Post
FYI, I am anti-Perry and his toll roads
I actually like the Toll roads. It usually means the road is higher quality and kept in good shape. Something that I will gladly pay for.
      08-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #122
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I actually like the Toll roads. It usually means the road is higher quality and kept in good shape. Something that I will gladly pay for.
Agree!

I think some freeways or highways should be tolled to maintain a certain road surface quality and amenities. Reminds me I-90 from Boston to Syracuse I always drove during college. every 30 miles or so, there's a full stop service with all the shops you need - Gasoline, fast food, rest stop, convenient store..etc....
compare to I-15 from LA to Las Vegas, nothing but a so called rest-stop with a stink public toilet in the middle of the desert where lack of maintenance. Otherwise, keep driving for 100+ miles.
      08-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #123
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
as long as there is a fast lane for tolls (we call them sunpass in FL) i dont mind them, but having to come to a complete stop for $0.50 gets old fast

the problem w/ people from CA and NYC is that they all think just cause they live there, everyone else should wanna live there too. One of my friends is like that about Norcal, doesnt shut up about it, went to visit him expecting this amazing place and it was pretty blah. San Fran and Oakland are ok places but way too many tree huggers for my taste
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #124
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
as long as there is a fast lane for tolls (we call them sunpass in FL) i dont mind them, but having to come to a complete stop for $0.50 gets old fast

the problem w/ people from CA and NYC is that they all think just cause they live there, everyone else should wanna live there too. One of my friends is like that about Norcal, doesnt shut up about it, went to visit him expecting this amazing place and it was pretty blah. San Fran and Oakland are ok places but way too many tree huggers for my taste
I hate tree huggers....its growing into SoCal too....look at the amount of Prius hogging the road and fast lanes....driving 50 mph....
      08-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #125
Bimmermaniac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

I am not saying that NorCal is better than anywhere else, but please don't move here, we dont want you.

I thought this was a thread about F1 coming to Austin, instead its a bunch of whiners complaining and cowboys whining about how coast people don't like them. Get a life people, F1 should certainly be in Austin, and yes Austin is in Texas which is one of the worst places on Earth, but Austin is actually pretty cool. Anybody who thinks F1 should be anywhere but a brand new Herman Tilke track in Austin is a fool.
      08-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #126
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am not saying that NorCal is better than anywhere else, but please don't move here, we dont want you.

I thought this was a thread about F1 coming to Austin, instead its a bunch of whiners complaining and cowboys whining about how coast people don't like them. Get a life people, F1 should certainly be in Austin, and yes Austin is in Texas which is one of the worst places on Earth, but Austin is actually pretty cool. Anybody who thinks F1 should be anywhere but a brand new Herman Tilke track in Austin is a fool.
I think its a sensible choice to pick Austin, TX.

The realty cost for a brand new track, location in relation of the rest of United States and central America. It just make sense to choose there.
Of course this is not about which city is "better" per se, its about picking a average size city to held F1 which can be built relatively cheaper than big metropolitans, plus not more than 4 hours flights for nearly all fans from United States.
      08-31-2010, 11:59 PM   #127
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Track Layout Released

The track layout was just released:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/form...ut-890582.html

Quote:
The 3.4-mile track has 20 turns, a maximum elevation change of 133 feet, a back straightaway that is three-quarters of a mile long and a width that will vary between 39 and 52 feet.

Hellmund said Turn 1 could be the circuit's signature corner and that it would also be one of the four designed spots to give drivers their best chance for passing

He said the best way to create such opportunities is with a good straightaway that leads to a turn with more than a 90-degree angle. Hellmund said that's the plan for turns 11, 12 and 20.

In addition, turns 3, 4, 5 and 6 and will be a nod to the Maggots/Becketts section at Silverstone in England, and turns 12, 13, 14 and 15 will have the feel of the Hockenheimring in Germany.

There's also a shout-out to Istanbul Turn 8 in turns 16, 17 and 18.
Attached Images

Last edited by lib; 09-01-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #128
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
The track layout was just released:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/form...ut-890582.html
Turn 3-7 reminded me Abu Dhabi...

Plus it needs more location of grand stands....
      09-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #129
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Here is a 3D image showing the elevation changes.
Attached Images

09-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #130
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Turn 3-7 reminded me Abu Dhabi...

Plus it needs more location of grand stands....
They mentioned they wanted poeple to be able to see as much of the track at once as possible. Looking at the layout and position of the main Grandstand, I'd say they accomplished this. Though you may need a good pair of binoculars!
      09-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #131
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
They mentioned they wanted poeple to be able to see as much of the track at once as possible. Looking at the layout and position of the main Grandstand, I'd say they accomplished this. Though you may need a good pair of binoculars!
Or Bernie will sell a pair of gold plated binoculars for 5000 USD each at the gate...

or 4000 USD if you reserve online....
      09-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #132
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
I would like to see a grand stand on turn 11, similar to the grand stands on Epingle at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve in Montreal (which is where I hope to sit next year )
Appreciate 0