BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Electronics | Audio | Security

Mporium BMW

06-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
▀▄ eas | Macht Schnell - OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulation Module

For those running race seats, the Passenger Occupancy Sensor Mat (OC3) is now an integral part of the OEM seat leather and cannot be ordered separately - triggering a “Passenger Restraint Error” message that hijacks the iDrive/OBC, rendering it useless.

Macht Schnell has come up with a solution for those running fixed-back shells and want to retain their iDrive/OBC displays with an OC3 emulator module that easily ties into your BMWs wiring with no cutting or splicing needed and can be removed at any time. For those running race harnesses, the Macht Schnell OC3 module will properly emulate seatbelts in the fixed position - eliminating any errors caused to allow you to focus on on the track and win.

The Macht Schnell OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulation Module is possible of the following features:

- The ability to run racing seats with no system errors, allowing full integration
- Elimination of “Passenger Restraint Error” messages on both iDrive and OBC cluster displays while in use
- Proper emulation of passenger OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor
- Optional emulation of seatbelt receptacles (fastened position for both driver & passenger) for those running race harnesses
- Allows the use of BMW Performance Seats, which are not compatible with US models
- Completely removable at any time

Note: The Macht Schnell OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulation Module will disable the passenger dash airbag to prevent unsafe deployment. For this reason, this module is not intended for street vehicles and can result in possible injury or death if proper restraint conditions are not followed. Not compatible with euro models

Macht Schnell - OC3 Seat Occupancy Sensor Emulation Module
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2330

Models Supported:
2006+ e9x 3-series, including M3 (US models only)
2008+ 1-series (US models only)

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
reserved 1

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Nice, glad to see these have arrived and they look good
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Tom, I might be interested in this. A few clarification questions:

1. Why does this module disable the passanger dash airbag exactly?
2. How about the driver side airbags or any other airbag that is meant for the driver? Are any of those disabled/impacted in any way?
3. Does it have any impact on the operation of the stock 3-point seatbelt? My understanding is that the locking of the stock belt is purely a mechanical process, but I wanted to make sure an electromechanical process is not being used.

I recently purchased an R3 device that I plan to use with the stock 3-point system until next year, and if this module works for me, I might swap some Recaro SPGs in for the rest of the summer (and use them in my planned track car next year).

Thanks.
      07-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Tom, I might be interested in this. A few clarification questions:

1. Why does this module disable the passanger dash airbag exactly?

For safety reasons. If the passenger dash airbag was to go off without your passenger being secured by their seatbelt, it can really be a concern. With the OC3 module installed, the "PASS AIRBAG OFF" light on the sunroof switch panel will illuminate to remind you this has been disabled.

Passenger B-pillar and door airbags are unaffected.

Quote:
2. How about the driver side airbags or any other airbag that is meant for the driver? Are any of those disabled/impacted in any way?
Driver's side airbags are not affected. Since there will always be someone present in the driver's seat, ther eis no need for an OC3 sensor mate from factory.

Quote:
3. Does it have any impact on the operation of the stock 3-point seatbelt? My understanding is that the locking of the stock belt is purely a mechanical process, but I wanted to make sure an electromechanical process is not being used.
No effect on stock seatbelts, however the module does have emulation capabilities in case race harnesses are utilized in the future.

Quote:
I recently purchased an R3 device that I plan to use with the stock 3-point system until next year, and if this module works for me, I might swap some Recaro SPGs in for the rest of the summer (and use them in my planned track car next year).

Thanks.
Awesome, we're an authorized RECARO dealer and have everything needed for the upgrade when ready - most times in stock.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
For safety reasons. If the passenger dash airbag was to go off without your passenger being secured by their seatbelt, it can really be a concern. With the OC3 module installed, the "PASS AIRBAG OFF" light on the sunroof switch panel will illuminate to remind you this has been disabled.

Passenger B-pillar and door airbags are unaffected.

Driver's side airbags are not affected. Since there will always be someone present in the driver's seat, ther eis no need for an OC3 sensor mate from factory.
Thanks for the info Tom. I don't exactly follow the above. Isn't the risk you describe the same for the passenger and the driver? Meaning, the driver could be driving without securing his/her seatbelt as well, and he/she could be hurt if the driver's side airbag goes off. What am I missing?
      07-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks for the info Tom. I don't exactly follow the above. Isn't the risk you describe the same for the passenger and the driver? Meaning, the driver could be driving without securing his/her seatbelt as well, and he/she could be hurt if the driver's side airbag goes off. What am I missing?
That's absolutely true, but wearing proper restraints (whether OEM 3-point or race harnesses) will increase driver/passenger safety so this does not happen. This was intended for race use as stated in the opening post.

Vehicle occupants (as well as the driver) have to follow proper safety steps, the module cannot do this for you.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's absolutely true, but wearing proper restraints (whether OEM 3-point or race harnesses) will increase driver/passenger safety so this does not happen. This was intended for race use as stated in the opening post.

Vehicle occupants (as well as the driver) have to follow proper safety steps, the module cannot do this for you.
I understand that. I was just curious as to why it was deemed necessary to disable only the passenger airbag given the driver and the passenger are in exactly the same situation. It is a bit odd that the designers of this module see a problem with the passenger potentially not securing his/her belt and turn off the passenger airbag to manage that possibility, but don't see a problem with the driver potentially doing the same thing. That's why I was wondering if I missed something. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

This doesn't seem to be for me because it means if you are using the stock 3-point system, you can't have a passenger in the car--on or off the track; I wouldn't want my passenger to rely on the 3-point belt without a front facing airbag. If they had left the passenger side dash airbag alone (active), I would have gone for it. Or, maybe that was the only way they could make things work? Switching to harnesses would make that a mute point, but I don't plan to do that with this car. Too bad...
      07-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Some people may just want to run a drivers side race seat but need the passenger airbag in service when driving on the street.
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Some people may just want to run a drivers side race seat but need the passenger airbag in service when driving on the street.
Yes, which is what I've been saying/hoping for. For the latter to be true, it sounds like you need to put the stock seats back in and unplug the module.
      07-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Which is perfectly fine. The module can be used for the driver's seat only if needed for seat airbag emulation, leaving the passenger leads disconnected since the passenger seat is still in place.

1 module can cover both seats, connections will ultimately depend on your specific setup.

Quote:
Yes, which is what I've been saying/hoping for. For the latter to be true, it sounds like you need to put the stock seats back in and unplug the module.
This is strictly up to you. In comparison, BMW also offers a passenger airbag on/off switch for the e9x M3 as well - but this does nothing for occupancy sensor emulation.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Tom, so it sounds like if I just put in a race seat on the driver's side and keep the stock passenger seat in the car, the module can be configured not to interefere with anything on the passenger side, including the passenger dash airbag? Is this interpretation correct?
      07-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Tom, so it sounds like if I just put in a race seat on the driver's side and keep the stock passenger seat in the car, the module can be configured not to interefere with anything on the passenger side, including the passenger dash airbag? Is this interpretation correct?
Correct, since the OEM passenger seat is still present - no emulation is needed on that side. Simply leave the OC3 modules' passenger side leads disconnected.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct, since the OEM passenger seat is still present - no emulation is needed on that side. Simply leave the OC3 modules' passenger side leads disconnected.
And the only thing that would be deactivated in that scenario is the driver's seat airbag, which obviously no longer exists, right?

That might actually be a workable scenario for me for the rest of the year. I need to check with the clubs I ride with to see if I can still take a passenger with me. Some have rules about the need to provide the same safety features to both occupants when there are two people in the car. I drive solo most of the time, but not always.
      07-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
And the only thing that would be deactivated in that scenario is the driver's seat airbag, which obviously no longer exists, right?
Correct.

Quote:
That might actually be a workable scenario for me for the rest of the year. I need to check with the clubs I ride with to see if I can still take a passenger with me. Some have rules about the need to provide the same safety features to both occupants when there are two people in the car. I drive solo most of the time, but not always.
Let me know when you're ready to get set up, modules are readily available.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5

Tom, I am running 5 point harnesses and in the process of changing both seats. Does this work on both sides?
      07-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me know when you're ready to get set up, modules are readily available.
OK. Thanks.
      07-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post
Tom, I am running 5 point harnesses and in the process of changing both seats. Does this work on both sides?
Absolutely, this is exactly the setup the module was intended for.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
fansari
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, White/Black

I have the BMW Perfomance Seats in my car and have been researching to find a solution to get rid of the Airbag and Seat Belt faults. In the process I checked about the the factory OC3 sensor which is installed in the factory passenger seats. The sensor is NOT embedded in the seat leather which a lot f people think. It comes with the seat cushion. I am not sure if it is embeded in the cushion or BMW just insists on selling them together. As far as I am concerned, even if it is embeded, I can take it out and throw the cushion away. I can then have a upholstry shop install the OC3 in the Performance Seat, but will that solve the problem, that is the question?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansari View Post
I have the BMW Perfomance Seats in my car and have been researching to find a solution to get rid of the Airbag and Seat Belt faults. In the process I checked about the the factory OC3 sensor which is installed in the factory passenger seats. The sensor is NOT embedded in the seat leather which a lot f people think. It comes with the seat cushion. I am not sure if it is embeded in the cushion or BMW just insists on selling them together. As far as I am concerned, even if it is embeded, I can take it out and throw the cushion away. I can then have a upholstry shop install the OC3 in the Performance Seat, but will that solve the problem, that is the question?
I don't see why not, this has been done numerous times on prior e46 models. Let us know your results when completed.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

is there actual instructions to see how this thing wires up?

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #22
66BM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5

Quote:
Absolutely, this is exactly the setup the module was intended for.
Can you IM me price?