BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Remember to Check Your Tires

Hey guys

I was actually about to post all of this as a question for advice on a potential diagnosis, but I figured out the issue and come to share my findings in hopes to help you all and keep you out of danger!

Today I was on the freeway and suddenly heard a flapping sound under the passenger side. I got off the freeway and noticed the sound's frequency correlated with the car's speed and was independent of rpm (thank goodness).

I took surface roads home and noticed the sound starts at 30 mph. I get home, get the car on ramps and I don't see anything apparent. So, I start my process of elimination and start zip tying plastic panels and fender liners that have some degree of wiggle to them. Each time I tied down a piece I went for a short drive to check for the sound.

Disappointingly, after a few quick drives I noticed the sound was still there and I am completely confused at this point. I just happened to peek over at the inner sidewall of my passenger side front tire and noticed the tread is starting to separate! I was about to shed a tire alligator on the freeway! So, I'm relieved that I don't have some weird rattle that is going to take a bunch of diagnosing, but then again I was thinking wow this could have been disastrous!

Moral of the story: don't ignore rattles, and keep an eye on those tires!

Be safe everyone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Ab28592.50
akkando5863.00
      02-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
These cars wear the inside of tires hard.

I put PS4Ss in my car a few months ago and I was considering keeping my Hankooks, when the tire shop pulled them off they looked like what you've got pictured.

Needless to say you've really got to get under the car to take a look at those insides.
      02-16-2020, 12:26 AM   #3
sibhusz06
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2012 X35I, 2007 911

Have a feeling due to the negative camber, the tires were worn on the inner edges and you probably weren't aware and due to the heat and low tread height, it finally gave way.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:23 AM   #4
RC Post
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

I'd get an alignment.. toe is probably the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:30 AM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Dude I literally go through fronts every 4 months. I'm lowered just enough to get rid of gap so I am not surprised. I drive a lot but that's how it goes. Get used to it my friend. I get an alignment every pair and it still happens. I have no bad/worn suspension parts or bushings. Camber is the culprit. Now you know so every now and then park, turn the tires full lock and take a look at the inside as this will be the place to look. So sad buying new tires with outside and middle 3/4 looking great but.......
      02-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

It's important to check your inner tire wear, though it is perfectly normal for these cars. I wouldn't assume that anything is wrong with the alignment--hell, I'd think something was wrong with the alignment if the tire wear *didn't* look like that.
      02-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Hey guys

I was actually about to post all of this as a question for advice on a potential diagnosis, but I figured out the issue and come to share my findings in hopes to help you all and keep you out of danger!

Today I was on the freeway and suddenly heard a flapping sound under the passenger side. I got off the freeway and noticed the sound's frequency correlated with the car's speed and was independent of rpm (thank goodness).

I took surface roads home and noticed the sound starts at 30 mph. I get home, get the car on ramps and I don't see anything apparent. So, I start my process of elimination and start zip tying plastic panels and fender liners that have some degree of wiggle to them. Each time I tied down a piece I went for a short drive to check for the sound.

Disappointingly, after a few quick drives I noticed the sound was still there and I am completely confused at this point. I just happened to peek over at the inner sidewall of my passenger side front tire and noticed the tread is starting to separate! I was about to shed a tire alligator on the freeway! So, I'm relieved that I don't have some weird rattle that is going to take a bunch of diagnosing, but then again I was thinking wow this could have been disastrous!

Be safe everyone!
What kind of tires are you running?
      02-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
DIXIE NORMUS
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

it also looks like those tires are a little stretched leaving the inside more prone to wear.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I even flip my tires on the wheel as the inside starts to wear.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:31 AM   #10
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Inner tire wear is to be expected. I took these off today. Check out the tire wear from outside to inside. 2 track days and 15k miles on this tire. Stock ZCP suspension with Dinan fixed camber plates. This looks normal to me.
Attached Images

02-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #11
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92-M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Dude I literally go through fronts every 4 months. I'm lowered just enough to get rid of gap so I am not surprised. I drive a lot but that's how it goes. Get used to it my friend. I get an alignment every pair and it still happens. I have no bad/worn suspension parts or bushings. Camber is the culprit. Now you know so every now and then park, turn the tires full lock and take a look at the inside as this will be the place to look. So sad buying new tires with outside and middle 3/4 looking great but.......
I have had my fronts for 38K and are half warn. Just replaced the rears @34k. Weird...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #12
cae93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbaja5t View Post
I have had my fronts for 38K and are half warn. Just replaced the rears @34k. Weird...
Wow, you do know the pedal on the right makes nice noises?

34k from rears is incredible, what tires are you running?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #13
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
I can't even discuss my rear tires seriously as I do not have the self control to NOT burn them up lol! My guy at America's Tire just laughs at the frequency of my visits.
      02-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

yall need to post your alignment specs. none of this looks normal to me and does not match my wear patterns. i am lowered on swift springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
Hey guys

Be safe everyone!
What kind of tires are you running?
I had Continental contisportcontact 245 35 19 on the front with stock wheels stock suspension. Both my fronts were worn on the inside edges!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #16
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cae93 View Post
Wow, you do know the pedal on the right makes nice noises?

34k from rears is incredible, what tires are you running?
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 265/35-19.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #17
cae93
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Quote:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 265/35-19.
Wow, i managed <<11k from my p-zero rears and have swapped to PS4's so would be thrilled to get anywhere near your numbers
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #18
sergbaja5t
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cae93 View Post
Wow, i managed <<11k from my p-zero rears and have swapped to PS4's so would be thrilled to get anywhere near your numbers
This is what they looked like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1