BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #23
PorkchopExpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
OP

a few things I can advise you on, just to make sure you make the right decision on this.

My car was bought after being in an accident and now has a rebuilt title.
so I think I am in a position to speak regarding this issue more than some others.

1. If the car was not badly damaged It will function and drive no different from a car that doesn't have a salvage title, which sometimes have been in really bad accident, had more damage than the car you are looking at, but never reported so it has a lean title. ( in the case of my car, I only needed one headlight, a bumper and a hood, along wit radiator support. I ended up changing other things like the Dash and windscreen but those were more to make sure I restored the car properly than them needing to be changed.

2. DO NOT TAKE A LOAN TO BUY A SALVAGE CAR. I bought my car cash, and paid in the teens for it and then spend another 5K to have it restored. the opportunity to own the car outright and not have a loan was what made me pull the trigger. I also had seen the car before it was fixed so I know exactly what was damaged and what needed to be changed. If you are going to finance a car, make sure that its a car with a clean title because salvaged cars are at times had to trade it and you will be forced to take a lot less for it because of that reason. Most dealerships don't even want to take them.

3. THE WARRANTY IS PRETTY MUCH VOIDED. as a result of this, when there are repairs to be done you will have to do it out of pocket. I don't know if you can get an extended warranty on a salvage car. So repairs can be expensive because you gonna have to pay everything out of pocket. as such, preventative maintenance and monitoring stuff is key to save you dollars down the road.

4. IT SHOULD NOT COST YOU MORE TO INSURE. any insurance company that is charging you more to insure your car is ripping you off and should not be dealt with. my rates are good from progressive, in line with any other car of that type with that age. However Please make sure that your insurer has agreed on a fixed value for you car, by having it inspected and valuated. if you don't do this you run the risk of having them weasel their way out of paying you in the event something goes wrong and you try to make a claim

5. THE PRICE FOR THAT CAR IS TOO HIGH. once the car has a salvage title, as a guide, you should never pay more than 70% of book value for the car.

In my case it did not matter. I get to own a great car and not have to pay a loan. if something is broken (as long as it isn't a blown engine or transmission) I can fix it relatively cost friendly as i have good relationships with Mechanics/ Body shops.
I am not going to sell this car. One day I will give it to my son to drive.....the E9x M3 will be regarded as one of the best cars BMW ever made in light of the crap coming out now.......
Great post with a lot of good information. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #24
JDM_CL9
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
Thanks everyone!

Going to go look at this one later today... if anyone can comment on this....

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...2#post17865742
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #25
M3@Apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

^^ That's a lot of kilometers for a 2010...

2008 M3 Sedan 6MT || Project Technik
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #26
Wakesurfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I have just finished a rebuild on one.. it's easy to get a totaled m3 from a front end crash because OEM parts, lights, radiator, oil coolers, lines and body are ridiculously high..picking up parts from other wrecks can make a rebuild pretty affordable..mine is an 08 w now 81k. There was no frame damage on mine, I took a bmw tech that's a friend to check before I bought and almost all the work(non body) was done at bmw...the car is great, I love it. I've had a 2017 m3 bolt on mods, 2 different 08' 335i, (one was full bolt ons and Vargas turbos) 2016 z4 3.5(n54) 2015 x1, 2013 & 2010 328i and DD is the 2015 535 msport. The e92 m3 is my favorite to go play and drive hard..has the alpine tune and dct flash...custom exhaust
For a long trip, I'm taking the 535 every time 😂 so nice for that and she's pretty quick..mhd tune, k&n with exhaust helped a ton..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #27
e46IX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E92 M3, F80 M3

I'm a dealer and regularly purchase high-end cars from salvage auctions. A lot of insurance adjustors see the damaged rad support on a BMW and salvage the car on that alone. Some of them don't know our cars have plastic rad supports that bolt on and off. Also BMW frame rails are pretty easy to pull on a frame machine.

Its basically up to the adjuster what title is given. I've seen absolutely destroyed cars with non-branded titles and I've seen mildly hit cars with salvage titles... very inconsistent. This stuff doesn't bother me, even for re-sale anything moves for the right price.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #28
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I know the bumper/fender/hood gaps on our M3 aren't pretty, but even then this is a dead giveaway:
Attached Images

Last edited by smyles; 02-19-2020 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0