BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-19-2021, 03:30 AM   #1
Cashmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Looking for help diagnosing rough idle with engine misfire codes

2011 M3, only 37k miles, autocross car, (see's high revs), only drivetrain mod is muffler delete, (stright pipes after stock cats). Problems started with a host of voltage issues including 279D/not present DME: Power mangement closed-circuit current violation code. Eventually got ABS/DSC disabled warning and Check Engine light/Engine Malfunction warnings. Replaced battery and cleared codes with Foxwell NT520 Pro scanner. Still showed ABS/DSC disabled warning but also showed front wheel speed sensor code. No wheel speed sensors in stock near me over weekend.

Next day warmed up car, took one autox run and car performed fine. While idling waiting for second run got rough idle and then Check Engine light/Engine Malfunction warnings, (limp home mode). Codes show as follows consistently now, no other new codes.

2B37/present DME: Misfire with cutoff, cyl 3
2B39/present DME: Misfire with cutoff, cyl 5
2B3A/present DME: Misfire with cutoff, cyl 6
2B3B/present DME: Misfire with cutoff, cyl 7
2B3C/present DME: Misfire with cutoff, cyl 8
2B41/present DME: Misfire with cutoff, several cylinders

These codes were recorded at one point but aren't showing now.

2B35/present DME: Misfire with cutoff, cyl 1
27C1/present DME: info: Tank empty on fault entry

It doesn't appear that my NT520 will show long/short term fuel trims but it does show "Live Data" for other sensors. Research suggests issue may be anything from precat gasket leaks, spark plugs, coil packs, idle control valve and throttle body actuators. Looking for more troubleshooting suggestions. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

unless you are using something like ista youre shooting in the dark, that hot fault scenario would like me to believe theres an electrical failure in a component. Since you are experiencing a misfire on both banks that comes and goes its unlikely its the plugs or the coilpacks. I would also rule out the possilbity of the exhaust gasket leak as it would be a very audible failure. Find a shop local to you with ISTA diagnostic capability and run a check on the idle control valve.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0