BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

01-12-2021, 07:56 AM   #45
UnicornM
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M

Has anyone noticed the icon sizes are not correction ratio for Android? Icons appear shorter and wider. Also anyway to change the background image?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #46
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Finally installed my Carsara unit on Sunday using the Bimmertech video, and it's a definite improvement over the Kremersino v1 unit I had installed in June of 2019. Took a bit to sort out the right CAN/iDrive connection and to fit the cables behind the head unit, but once I got it sorted, I was quite pleased. Overall a very good unit.

I am using the Aux cable connected to the center console and while it's not as quite as good as the sound coming from the other audio sources through the OEM sound system, it's still quite decent and better than the Kremersino v1 unit (never tried the later units with updated audio chip). More bass and richer sound.

The WiFi CarPlay connection is quite quick as is the USB CarPlay connection, and it boots up quickly.

The patch into the OEM bluetooth mic works better than the aftermarket mic that came with the Kremersino unit, and Siri and voice texting work well. The voice control button on the steering wheel activates Siri while in CarPlay mode.

Haven't bothered to code the AUX audio so it works w/o AUX cable because I don't want to disable the USB port in the center console at this stage, but may try that at some point.

Reverse sensors work just as with OEM and the unit switches to the iDrive reversing screen with no issues.

All in all, very worth the $210-220.

Last edited by PACarGuy; 01-13-2021 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #47
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
-The carsara box should include a Microphone that can be installed in the OEM location. I believe that plastic housing is just not populated when Bluetooth is not included and the microphone provided should fit (have not confirmed this).
-If you code Aux before installing the unit, you can avoid running any wires through the center console. The iDrive can be picked up from the quadlock, and the sound as well.
In regards to the mic: if I watch the Bimmertech MMI Prime install video (I get not everything is the same) I see they run the mic "jumper cable" from the OEM location in the overhead cabin light "unit" across the drivers side headliner, down the A-pillar and under the steering column - assuming that would be the same for the carsara unit mic install, correct?
PACarGuy679.00
      01-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #48
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
In regards to the mic: if I watch the Bimmertech MMI Prime install video (I get not everything is the same) I see they run the mic "jumper cable" from the OEM location in the overhead cabin light "unit" across the drivers side headliner, down the A-pillar and under the steering column - assuming that would be the same for the carsara unit mic install, correct?
This process is the same for the Carsara. My tip to make it a little faster is to not actually remove the whole sun visor, just the center clips. You'll need a good pick to get the plastic cover slid towards the back of the car to uncover the screws. Don't just try to pry it down or you might snap off the tabs. The hardest part for this is making sure you can see where the two metal tabs in front are (get out of the car, look, and then get back in and push them in) and I had a pain getting the airbag cover off the A-pillar. Bimmertech video says "it comes off easy" so YMMV. The cover is metal so take care not to scratch it.
PACarGuy679.00
noremaC241.50
      01-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #49
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This process is the same for the Carsara. My tip to make it a little faster is to not actually remove the whole sun visor, just the center clips. You'll need a good pick to get the plastic cover slid towards the back of the car to uncover the screws. Don't just try to pry it down or you might snap off the tabs. The hardest part for this is making sure you can see where the two metal tabs in front are (get out of the car, look, and then get back in and push them in) and I had a pain getting the airbag cover off the A-pillar. Bimmertech video says "it comes off easy" so YMMV. The cover is metal so take care not to scratch it.
That's what I did as well. I didn't remove the visor hinge attachments - just the center clips. You do need to remove both clips to get access to the overhead lighting console. But just removing the center clips gives you plenty of room to run the mic cable above the headliner.

As FYI, I ran my mic cable on the passenger side of the car and pulled the mic cable under the glovebox (removed the bottom trim panel first for better access) and into the dash from there.

The a-pillar cover was a bit tricky to put back on - lining up the bottom tabs took 5-6 tries to get right, but is critical to make sure it goes back on properly.
      01-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #50
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post

The a-pillar cover was a bit tricky to put back on - lining up the bottom tabs took 5-6 tries to get right, but is critical to make sure it goes back on properly.
I hate the a pillar cover, I need to fix mine.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      01-13-2021, 11:06 PM   #51
stalechips
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I ordered the Andream Carplay / Android Auto headunit on Jan 2nd, and it was delivered on Jan 11th. Purchased it through the website.

I have the CCC interface. The install itself took only maybe 2 hours at most. It was super straight forward.

Pretty much unplug the CCC connector, pull the Fiber Optic Cable from the old connector and plug it into the connector, then run the wires accordingly.

Here are photos they provided to help the install:
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

The hardest part was tucking the huge CCC harness, but I just took a saw and cut the plastic bracket to create more space for myself!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:27 AM   #52
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
I wonder can anyone make a tutorial to code for the USB audio?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:31 PM   #53
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

1) with regards to the microphone, i already have the OEM microphone installed (for phone calls and commands that I never use). Is the bypass done through a supplied wire or is this already prewired using the main harness behind the cic?

2) with regards to the AUX cable and coding. if i decide to code the AUX out how big of a difference is the audio?

3) i currently have a Carly ob2 reader/coder, will installing this device absolve my ability to code and check engine codes?

Thank you!

Last edited by Nazty Naze One!; 01-14-2021 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #54
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazty Naze One! View Post
1) with regards to the microphone, i already have the OEM microphone installed (for phone calls and commands that I never use). Is the bypass done through a supplied wire or is this already prewired using the main harness behind the cic?

2) with regards to the AUX cable and coding. if i decide to code the AUX out how big of a difference is the audio?

3) i currently have a Carly ob2 reader/coder, will installing this device absolve my ability to code and check engine codes?

Thank you!
1) Yes, you need the supplied splitter cable to tap into the OEM mic, and need to run the cable through the headliner and down into the dash.

3) If you mean remove the ability to code and check engine codes, then no. There is no impact in the OBD2 port.
      01-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #55
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1990 View Post
I wonder can anyone make a tutorial to code for the USB audio?
If you are using Bimmercode, this should be a pretty straightforward process. You might need to go into expert mode to find those particular codes, but E90 post and Youtube have tons of BMW coding tutorials. NCS Expert is a pain, but there are a lot of resources out there if you want to go that route, you just have to follow them step by step.

01-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #56
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

2) It's a noticeable enough difference and saves you from having to route the Aux cable as well. If the wire is a 7/10 (some reduced bass/frequency range) then coding directly is probably 9/10. For me I couldn't notice a difference between the few remaining CD's I owned and Spotify streaming at high quality.

3) This only impacts coding the CIC headunit which is one of the modules. Pulling codes or coding other modules will not be impacted. If you have other changes you want to make to the CIC (like removing legal disclaimer, etc) do it all now.
      01-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #57
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep

hey guys, I'm stuck at the toggle switches. as of right now I have audio coming through but there's only a red screen with no functionality on the dash. What's the correct orientation for a 2010 M3 with CIC?

Last edited by Nazty Naze One!; 01-15-2021 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #58
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Can you set the Carsara unit to default to its native UI/Apple CarPlay vs. standard iDrive? Or are you required to manually hold the Menu button each time the car is started to get to ACP?
      01-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #59
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
Can you set the Carsara unit to default to its native UI/Apple CarPlay vs. standard iDrive? Or are you required to manually hold the Menu button each time the car is started to get to ACP?
Mine switches directly to CarPlay from iDrive shortly after my phone connects.
      01-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #60
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hey guys, I'm stuck at the toggle switches. as of right now I have audio coming through but there's only a red screen with no functionality on the dash. What's the correct orientation for a 2010 M3 with CIC?
Try 3,4 and 7 on.
Also try just 3,4.

Does iDrive controller work?
If not, Check the CAN connections. You may need to try a different configuration per this:

"For the CAN cable of the new power harness, connect it like below steps
1. Connect A# carplay low can cable to idrive cable(CIC-KT), connect the other end of idrive cable to car idrive control knob. Check if control knob operate menus normally; if not, operate step 2.
2. Connect B# head unit can cable to A# carplay low can cable, without connecting the idrive cable(CIC-KT)
3. Connect L# carplay high can cable to idrive cable(CIC-KT), connect the other end of idrive cable to car idrive control knob."
      01-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #61
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Are you using the IDrive controller? Check the canbus plugs and that the LVDS in and out aren't switched. I got the red screen and I had a plug in wrong, but I forget which one.
      01-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #62
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you using the IDrive controller? Check the canbus plugs and that the LVDS in and out aren't switched. I got the red screen and I had a plug in wrong, but I forget which one.
hey there, so i did plug in the cic controller wire and now I have the OEM screen but i can't seem to get to the new menu (apple car play). every time i hold down the menu button i the oem screen dims but nothing. audio works though.

update...so i have the correct screen now after switching the toggles to 4 and 5 down or on. but now im getting a black and white menu asking me to check my wiring.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:20 PM   #63
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
hey there, so i did plug in the cic controller wire and now I have the OEM screen but i can't seem to get to the new menu (apple car play). every time i hold down the menu button i the oem screen dims but nothing. audio works though.

update...so i have the correct screen now after switching the toggles to 4 and 5 down or on. but now im getting a black and white menu asking me to check my wiring.
I got that message too. Check the CAN plug as in the 1,2,3 note above. You may need to try a couple of different configurations. And if you use #2, make sure to leave the terminal plug out/disconnected.
      01-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #64
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Good info in this. Planning on doing the install tomorrow with rear view camera. Going the coding route with ncs expert.

Going to attempt to set up the rear view camera to toggle on with reverse and by a toggle switch.

Does anyone know the dip switch setup for CIC with 6FL but no combox?

Last edited by Bubbles; 01-15-2021 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #65
Nazty Naze One!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I got that message too. Check the CAN plug as in the 1,2,3 note above. You may need to try a couple of different configurations. And if you use #2, make sure to leave the terminal plug out/disconnected.
Thanks for that tip. I got everything working now and things are running smoothly. Much faster than I thought.

I'm trying to get the screen mirroring to work now but no luck so far. I'm going to try tomorrow along with the rear camera.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy679.00
      01-16-2021, 06:01 AM   #66
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Good info in this. Planning on doing the install tomorrow with rear view camera. Going the coding route with ncs expert.

Going to attempt to set up the rear view camera to toggle on with reverse and by a toggle switch.

Does anyone know the dip switch setup for CIC with 6FL but no combox?
The dip switches shouldn't change based on Bluetooth options, they should depend on your screen size and resolution.

The only person I've heard needing to modify the dip switches was someone on a 335 so far?

If you modify them otherwise not sure what impacts it could have.